Thread: Vid Cards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    If it wasn't worth praising, why would they have spent 350 euros (400 bucks) of their own money on it last March? Think about it.
    i don't see how that makes any differance? (9/10 times people here buy stuff with their own money, the other 1/10 feel free to pm me for donations )
    also the reason ati is a likely card of choice for the OP is because of his budget.
    Not because it will offer him the better performance (certainly not for wow)
    also those links provided illustrate that even better with gtx 670 being even on par with a 7970....... (and 660ti eats equivelant ati card +1 even)

None of the charts on anandtech show AMD being "eaten". I also think that paying 300 bucks for a graphics card that can only use a 192bit memory interface is very short-sighted.

The WoW benchmark is not representative of actual gameplay. It is a flight-through of an empty zone on a taxi. How much time do you spend time on a taxi mount in WoW when actually playing the game?
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-11-10 at 10:51 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    also the reason ati is a likely card of choice for the OP is because of his budget.
    Not because it will offer him the better performance (certainly not for wow)
    also those links provided illustrate that even better with gtx 670 being even on par with a 7970....... (and 660ti eats equivelant ati card +1 even)
    So you are saying a 280 - 300 euro card (the 660ti) is beating a 220-240 euro card (7870) by 5 fps (on 1200p) is eating it up...... By all means recommand the more expansive card.... Price/performance AMD is pretty much the top choice atm. Nvidia wont be that much of a game improvement over AMD. I would say none even, they are on par. And for that reason you pick the cheapest card with the best performance.

I would even go so far to say, get a 7950 above a 660ti. Def when you also play other games.

edit:

But seeing as that all is out of budget, the best choice is a 2gb 7850 from either sapphire or gigabyte. Both even come with FC3 on newegg atm
    Last edited by mmoc24391763c2; 2012-11-10 at 11:28 AM.

The WoW benchmark is not representative of actual gameplay. It is a flight-through of an empty zone on a taxi. How much time do you spend time on a taxi mount in WoW when actually playing the game?
    It's representative of random single player content outside of big city and scales well into multiplayer content. Bar lengths stay the same, numbers just are divided by two or three.

If anything the air taxi benchmarks gives AMD cards unrealistically high scores because of the memory bandwidth and oversized VRAM. Never in actual gaming you go through so many zones in so little time.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-11-10 at 11:26 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dengir View Post
    Ok, so I have a GeForce 610 GT. I don't care if it's AMD or nVidia.. also no pin crap i need to hook up to my power supply. Just give me a decent upgrade from that...
    If your PSU does not have power connectors for a graphics card, the best you can do is a 7750. http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=80&sort=a5

You're not going to be getting the best bang for buck though.

Deleted
    None of the charts on anandtech show AMD being "eaten". I also think that paying 300 bucks for a graphics card that can only use a 192bit memory interface is very short-sighted.

it does actually eat the ati counterpart when a 660ti outperforms a 7950 aswell (which should be the equal of a 670......)
    tell me how, in actual gaming the 192bit membus would be the limiting factor rather then chip capabilities?
    also vesseblah nailed it on the spot why the flightpath benchmark is actually in favor of ati compared to nvidia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    it does actually eat the ati counterpart when a 660ti outperforms a 7950 aswell (which should be the equal of a 670......)
    tell me how, in actual gaming the 192bit membus would be the limiting factor rather then chip capabilities?
    The 670 counterpart is the 7970, 7950 for 660ti, and 7970 GHz for the 680. For the lower cards i dont really know how it all goes.
    But you should look at the price point cards are put, not the naming. Altho in the last generation the 6970 was the 570 counterpart.

And the main reason the membus is not so limiting at the moment, is the high mem clocks. Or thats what i think it is anyway.

edit:

took another look at the benchmarks (put the meaning of a FP aside) its only a 3 fps difference between the 660ti and 7950. I would not call that "outperform" it. They are on par, in these benchmarks atleast. If you got something else to show, please do. (As in a better WoW benchmark)
    Last edited by mmoc24391763c2; 2012-11-10 at 10:30 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    The 670 counterpart is the 7970, 7950 for 660ti, and 7970 GHz for the 680. For the lower cards i dont really know how it all goes.
    But you should look at the price point cards are put, not the naming. Altho in the last generation the 6970 was the 570 counterpart.

And the main reason the membus is not so limiting at the moment, is the high mem clocks. Or thats what i think it is anyway.
    really making 7970 non ghz be the same as a 670 is just comparing 2 not equivelant ones..... (7970 = 680, 7950 = 670)
    ghz is just a more special versions of the same gpu.

edit : or 680 wouldn't have any counterpart which wouldn't make any sense imo....

Deleted
    No, performance wise the 7970 is closer to the 670, while the 7970 GHz is closer to the 680.
    It doesnt matter if they are the same chips, AMD sells them as different chips. It is not the same as with the 7950, which i think is only sold as boost editions now.

Same goes for pricing. The 7970 and 670 are priced together and the 7970 GHz is priced with the 680 (launch prices anyway, dunno how pricing is at the moment).

And if the 680 wouldnt have a counterpart thats ok. The 580 didnt have one either.

You are stuck on the naming hierachy. Dont look at that, look at performance/pricing thats way more accurate

Deleted
    that performance/price isn't the same does not change the way the companies intended to counter their main concurrent (which they did by setting a hierachy.....)
    by changing in what way to measure one can create a different vision of benchmarks (see it like mixing 1st and 2nd division in sports)
    taking a 1st division ati vs 2nd division does not seem like a good way of comparing cards. (this is completely price unrelated)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    No, performance wise the 7970 is closer to the 670, while the 7970 GHz is closer to the 680.
    It doesnt matter if they are the same chips, AMD sells them as different chips. It is not the same as with the 7950, which i think is only sold as boost editions now.

Same goes for pricing. The 7970 and 670 are priced together and the 7970 GHz is priced with the 680 (launch prices anyway, dunno how pricing is at the moment).

And if the 680 wouldnt have a counterpart thats ok. The 580 didnt have one either.

You are stuck on the naming hierachy. Dont look at that, look at performance/pricing thats way more accurate
    The 7970GHz is cheaper than a 680 (anything from 10-50 dollars).

general overview: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-...83,112&sort=a5

Just want to say thanks to the people for taking over my thread...

I need help on getting a video card.

Here's what I need:

Need something that can run Diablo 3 on max (no shadows), WoW on High/ultra (no shadows again, also just casual play no raids not even LFR) Rift on High (no shadows). Star Wars: TOR and Guild Wars 2 on at least Medium (no shadows)

Price range about $150 to $200, any higher and my wife will have my balls...

If you need more info...just ask....
    HD 7850 or GTX 660 (non-ti).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102984

Stays within budget.

Gotta love it when threads get hijacked, ehh?

Ok guys. Thanks for all the info. Have a few cards to look up.. Just one more question.. What the hell is the 6 pin connector (if you can link a pic I can see if my power supply has it)

Ok guys. Thanks for all the info. Have a few cards to look up.. Just one more question.. What the hell is the 6 pin connector (if you can link a pic I can see if my power supply has it)
    Will either look like this (simple 6 pin PCI-E connector):

Or like this (6+2 pin PCI-E connector)

yea, I just looked it up on google. Time to turn off the computer and check it out i guess. Thanks

---------- Post added 2012-11-10 at 10:40 PM ----------

Ok. Well this damn power supply doesn't have it.. Time for a new power supply.. Any advice? (something I will have to slip past the wife.. Need to keep my boys where they are if you know what I mean)

Deleted
    It would help if you show us the case? I have a feeling that it might be some different form factor than the normal cases you buy. ( such as a mini HP or something like that)

If it is just a normal case, a XFX 450 will be enough. Probably even a corsair builder 430 psu (altho those are not the usual quality corsair psu's have)