Thread: Is JC useless?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Feel free to drop JC everyone. Less competition when it becomes important again.

Deleted
    Havent tried making money yet with JC, but I guess its not that great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Gems are selling very well nowadays (people finally got gear with gem sockets). Orange is #1, then Green, then Purple, then Red for me. Yellow/Blue are both meh but still sell usually once or twice a day.

It's extremely important to have all the cuts though. The most "odd combinations" from the perspective of Cataclysm are the ones that sell for the most today. +Hit/Mastery, +Spirit/Haste, +Spirit/Mastery, and even +PvP Power/PvP Res are all big sellers.
    This is precisely what goes on on my server as well. Making very nice amounts of gold with JC. I don't shuffle anymore though, I just cut the green qualities to get procs and sell the procs I get and vendor the rest. On a typical haul of ore (60 stacks) I get about 1100g worth of enchanting mats if I shuffle it. Instead I cut to get procs and get about 4 times that amount in gems worth. Granted I don't sell all those gems, but most of it sells in a day or 2/3. Then just prospect new load of ore and cut what you need again.

Nice tip: If you have a decent number of cuts to use and are always getting stuck with yellow/blue gems you can use those to do your reasearch instead of the more expensive and profitable colours. Once you cap out the number of cuts you can get with blue/yellow you start getting cuts from other colours. My research goes on daily at pretty much 1/4 of the normal costs since I started using this method.

Im annoyed that JC's cant get a orange, purple or green Epic
    end

Quote Originally Posted by torn View Post
    Im annoyed that JC's cant get a orange, purple or green Epic
    end
    It'll more than likely be available later on in Mists.

It's been a bit tough for JCs, at least through gems it seems. You can make gold with the prof, but it feels so much easier to do so with Inscription or Alchemy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MordorFires View Post
    It's been a bit tough for JCs, at least through gems it seems. You can make gold with the prof, but it feels so much easier to do so with Inscription or Alchemy.
    Eh, I turn 10k a day with a little effort and 15-20k if I try really try with JC/Enchanting. Inscription is amazing (godtier, really) for now, but will go back to mediocrity when DMF cards are obsolete. Gems or Enchants have always been better than Glyphs.

Alchemy though, really? I don't even turn enough of a profit on transmutes to make me log in to my 5 transmute alchs. Takes too long for a couple hundred gold. Or are you talking potions/flasks? I dabbled in them in Cataclysm but still had Enchants/Gems vastly outsell them.

The Shuffle is eternal.
    Last edited by Simca; 2012-11-18 at 10:31 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

The only reason it is slow for JC right now is what people have been saying... There wasn't a huge amount of gear that came with slots right out the door. As people start getting their alts and their main geared the demand will be coming back. The ILVL upgrade feature of 5.1 will slow this down a little for us but I'm glad people left JC to flip to something else. It will lower the amount of gems available.

Still hope blizzard will curtail the amount of ore nodes still though.
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

Deleted
    Eh, I turn 10k a day with a little effort and 15-20k if I try really try with JC/Enchanting. Inscription is amazing (godtier, really) for now, but will go back to mediocrity when DMF cards are obsolete. Gems or Enchants have always been better than Glyphs.

Alchemy though, really? I don't even turn enough of a profit on transmutes to make me log in to my 5 transmute alchs. Takes too long for a couple hundred gold. Or are you talking potions/flasks? I dabbled in them in Cataclysm but still had Enchants/Gems vastly outsell them.

The Shuffle is eternal.
    Not really and all servers are different.

10+ Year Old Account
    JC is still wildy useful, just not in this current patch. Wait for more raid gear with sockets and watch as we rejoice! Feel free to drop it. Fairweather fans never win in the long-run because they're too busy trying to game a system which is constantly changing.

As for right now, well, it is sort of useless. But I still like making cool items and also earning new recipes. Plus, I love just looking as a bag full or colorful, sparkly gems! One day, I may hunt Cata rares to get the rhinestone sunglasses design.

I love my JC, in fact, he's now my main, which is saying something cause he's a bloody paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by JajaBongs View Post
    its because of low pop, because there are less gems needed. On my higher pop realm they are still expensive, 200g roundabout
    im on a "full" server and only a few cuts are near that mark rest go for 20-70g per

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    Not really and all servers are different.
    It's eternal until it gets nerfed.

And yes, but it would be difficult for inscription to beat enchanting or JC off glyphs alone (especially after considering the gold/minute waste of posting glyphs). If you had a medium or low population server with a decent playerbase but very bad progression, it could work. Otherwise, you'll get undercut in an hour and have to spend most of your day at the mailbox and swapping bags.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    im on a "full" server and only a few cuts are near that mark rest go for 20-70g per
    From what I've seen, server population doesn't generally have a massive impact on the prices of very important goods (gems, enchants, glyphs, belt buckles, leg armor, etc). It does change the supply and demand a lot though. On high pop servers you will get undercut like mad but your items will sell like mad, and on a low pop server it is the opposite.

Obviously those are very general rules - there are outliers (such as realms where gold-making guilds have gathered).
    Last edited by Simca; 2012-11-19 at 02:26 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Except smaller servers have less demand and fewer raiding guilds. Controlling a small market where nobidy raids isnt that profitable, especially if you have 1+ determined competitor.

JC will never be useless. Not even mentioning the profession bonus, people just don't know how to use it. People buy alot more gems than they do enchants. But people get tunnel vision and only look to make money from reg or orange gems that are going to get you 100-300g. Cut greens, get a few perfects, sell those and the green gems. They still sell.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are the best rare cuts per colour?
    It seems that gems are no longer dominated by Red cuts and that some of the more "odd?" cuts are doing well.

It's eternal until it gets nerfed.
    Not really. The shuffle is only profitable two days a week on my server. If you spend all week doing it, you'll just end up with a massive backlog of enchant scrolls you'll never sell.

From what I've seen, server population doesn't generally have a massive impact on the prices of very important goods (gems, enchants, glyphs, belt buckles, leg armor, etc). It does change the supply and demand a lot though. On high pop servers you will get undercut like mad but your items will sell like mad, and on a low pop server it is the opposite.
    Supply and demand determine prices... so you just agreed that server pop has a significant effect on prices.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JajaBongs View Post
    its because of low pop, because there are less gems needed. On my higher pop realm they are still expensive, 200g roundabout
    No, it's not. I'm on a full server (Aegwynn EU) and everything except from orange and purple gems are ~5-10g. Not joking, every (cut/uncut) red gem is >10g.

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 04:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSecretAccount View Post
    Supply and demand determine prices... so you just agreed that server pop has a significant effect on prices.
    Prices are relative. Often, prices are roughly the same on any server for many popular goods. Emphasis on the often, since there obviously are differences. But there are also differences between the various high pop servers, same with low/med pop.
    Last edited by mmoc7168d263de; 2012-11-20 at 03:07 PM.

The reason I dropped JC at the beginning of MoP is the choice between losing 640 PvP power or just forgoing my profession bonus entirely.

There are plenty of gems that are profitable, including the Perfect Green cuts which you can typically buy the raw gems for dirt cheap, and turn around and make a nice profit. Remember, it's quantity of sales. If you are hoping for that one big 50,000g profit sale, you aren't going to find it unless you are crafting the Onyx mount and praying that someone buys it at your market up price.

There is also the shuffle, which provides you with plenty of cheap enchanting mats. It is not directly profitable as it doesn't generate gold (unless you are selling the raw mats), but even in that case you should be making a profit.

Use TUJ to see what is best for you - but most likely almost any path with JC is profitable if you aren't doing something completely wrong. I find the blue neck/rings to also sell on a regular basis, so I try to keep 2 of each in the AH at all times. Some sell slower than others, but they still sell and it's still profit. JC is a numbers game. Slow and steady wins the race.

As was said above, population itself doesn't have anything to do with price setting for the most part. More people = higher demand but it also means more people producing. Your economy is dependant on who is doing what, how much gold they have, and how many markets are being aggressively played. If ALL of your gems are dirt cheap (somehow I doubt ALL of them are, but its possible), then you should look at either flipping the market by buying the cheap items and reselling (may require a large bankroll to start and significant risk) or you can look at other options - shuffle ore for enchanting, focus on meta gems, sell uncut blues using access to a Transmute Master and Herbalist to convert greens to blues, etc. There is a TON of options which are available to you. What you need to do is learn your market. There is ALWAYS gold to be made. Especially with JC.