10+ Year Old Account

Ads, Spam and Phishing

From time to time someone posts something that may just be a youtuber advertising, or it is outright spam, in some cases it might be phishing. What I often see is that the spammer gets banned fairly quickly ... but their post, with the information that they want to get out there, remains!

Mission accomplished. That guy from India already made his pitch. Banning him is somewhat irrelevant.

Example: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...4#post38550564

His pitch, and all of his contact info from phone to e-mail is still intact. By not taking that down, he has essentially won the game, and (I see we keep getting spam from India) will just burn off another account the next thing he wants to post.

Since one of the things spammers do is leave their contact info embedded in a post, possibly using things like "DOT" or (at) to make their information a little bit harder to filter, couldn't the mods just delete everything with a --- snip --- and "advertising is not permitted"?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I don't think every mod has the power to actually delete the thread. But yeah, the mod who locks it should understand that they have to actually edit the OP and delete all the information, until the thread does get deleted.

Can we speak to a manager?

10+ Year Old Account
    Normally, they are to be locked. I used to delete spam threads. All mods can lock it/edit it if it is in their section. The thread in question is already gone, or the link is wrong.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

If one of them is banned and posts are not deleted, it is because one of the mods hasn't gone through and deleted all of their posts yet. None of those threads are intentionally left up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Happiness! At the time of my post it was still up, but it is gone now. I'd encountered similar situations enough to notice and comment. Thanks!
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    If one of them is banned and posts are not deleted, it is because one of the mods hasn't gone through and deleted all of their posts yet. None of those threads are intentionally left up.
    The board's mod panel doesn't have the "ban and also delete this user's posts" option?

Non global mods do not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The board's mod panel doesn't have the "ban and also delete this user's posts" option?
    No, but it is easy to tick the comments you wish to have deleted.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Regular (green) moderators can ban a spambot anywhere. However, they can only remove posts from the forum(s) they're assigned to. Globals are responsible for wiping the spambots, as we can moderate all forums. Spambots will frequently post all over the site, so most green mods can't deal with them.

We try as quickly as possible to get to them, but a lot of spambots - for good reason - operate when most of our mods aren't available. As soon as we can deal with it, we'll remove the posts.