Page 1 of 3
LastLast

I haven't played since release. Has skill delay been fixed?

Title says it all.
    F2P has me interested in TOR again.

Quote Originally Posted by Interplanetary View Post
    Title says it all.
    F2P has me interested in TOR again.
    In most cases, yes.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Some people still report it, but I've never actually witnessed it and I play a lot. Even trying to force it to happen by spamming buttons I can't get it to occur.

10+ Year Old Account
    Happens to me occasionally still. Not really a big pain unless I'm in dire need of a heal and the ability delay decides that instead of living, I'm gonna die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

No, and it will never be fixed. It is an underlying problem of the engine and of skill design. If the animation of an ability is still playing when you attempt to use another ability, the latter one will not activate and you have to wait for the animation to end to be able to make any action different from the one being executed at the moment. For comparison, in WoW this problem is non- existent, since the animation and cast are disassociated (for a lack of better word). There the animation ends/gets cut short/stops playing as soon as you cast another spell. Hence, the only fix to the "skill delay" as you call it, is to separate animation and ability activation in SWTOR, which I believe is impossible with the engine they are using.

Couldn't have said it better than Anubisblack.

Deleted
    Nope guess it hasn't been fixed

Deleted
    I PvP a lot (where IMO this sort of thing is slightly more of an issue) and have noticed a bit of skill delay but I am one of those noobs that play for fun and can easily put up with the minor impact this has when offset against how cool the combat animations are.
    I guess you can adapt to live with it unless you are a min/max, squeeze very last 0.0000001% of DPS, progression player.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubisblack View Post
    No, and it will never be fixed. It is an underlying problem of the engine and of skill design. If the animation of an ability is still playing when you attempt to use another ability, the latter one will not activate and you have to wait for the animation to end to be able to make any action different from the one being executed at the moment. For comparison, in WoW this problem is non- existent, since the animation and cast are disassociated (for a lack of better word). There the animation ends/gets cut short/stops playing as soon as you cast another spell. Hence, the only fix to the "skill delay" as you call it, is to separate animation and ability activation in SWTOR, which I believe is impossible with the engine they are using.
    The problem with this explanation is that not everyone gets it. I've never had a skill use a GCD and not go off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalek View Post
    The problem with this explanation is that not everyone gets it. I've never had a skill use a GCD and not go off.
    its only certain classes and certain abilities and certain patches.

So only a fraction of the population will ever experience it.

As someone who liked messing around with too many respecs and too many classes (going to finish smuggler soon). I can tell you its real.

Last patch on my trooper sometimes my stock strike would be consumed without anything actually happening. I think that's fixed though.

But now, on my smuggler, I'm having some very weird delay on my vital shot. Like... super weird. Sometimes it doesn't fire and the dot just appears on the target a few seconds later. Not really sure what to make of it. Either way, it seems like a game of wack a mole with abilities. One gets fixed, another gets broken. I'm betting they figure out a long term solution soon.

I mean, its not like they are going to have it bugged for 6 years like... vanish.

Thank you. This is why I quit 1 month after release, I wasn't sure if it could be fixed or not.
    Uninstalling.

They could just do what they've done with like... half the abilities in the game and shorten their animation to within the GCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Interplanetary View Post
    Thank you. This is why I quit 1 month after release, I wasn't sure if it could be fixed or not.
    Uninstalling.
    The majority of the delays that people were experiencing have been fixed and like I said I haven't experienced any and I've been playing since launch with multiple characters to 50 that I've also PVP'd and PVE'd with heavily. If I was you i'd try again.

Does someone have a youtube video or something because I can't figure out what delay people are talking about, I play several classes on 11 toons and I never experienced anything like that since launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    Does someone have a youtube video or something because I can't figure out what delay people are talking about, I play several classes on 11 toons and I never experienced anything like that since launch.
    I actually just experienced this for the first time ever this weekend on my brand new shadow. What is particularly sad about it is that I had previously made a twelik shadow and had no issue, but I scrapper her to make a sith one and I had issues. It for the most part wasn't a big deal, it was a bit of a pain when I was solo'ing "Republic's Most Wanted" though as it resulted in my death a couple of times.

I am pretty sure there was a video floating around from launch that showed it, sadly at work so I can't look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I actually just experienced this for the first time ever this weekend on my brand new shadow. What is particularly sad about it is that I had previously made a twelik shadow and had no issue, but I scrapper her to make a sith one and I had issues. It for the most part wasn't a big deal, it was a bit of a pain when I was solo'ing "Republic's Most Wanted" though as it resulted in my death a couple of times.

I am pretty sure there was a video floating around from launch that showed it, sadly at work so I can't look for it.
    Not worth bringing up a video from launch when they fixed most of those problems. I've got a Jedi Shadow, what skills was it happening on? I'll try and test it out tonight and see if I can get it to happen. Were you spamming buttons? I used to do that in WoW, but I've found that the system in SWTOR has a better queuing feature that means you can press the button just prior to the GCD finishing and it will go off straight away.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalek View Post
    I used to do that in WoW, but I've found that the system in SWTOR has a better queuing feature that means you can press the button just prior to the GCD finishing and it will go off straight away.
    If this even was the reason, having a 'queueing feature' that breaks abilities when they are spammed can definitely not be classified as better.

Na I have never been much of a button spamer. I was noticing it most with Double Strike and Telekinetic Throw. I do have to say it wasn't a consistent issue, but did randomly pop-up here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Na I have never been much of a button spamer. I was noticing it most with Double Strike and Telekinetic Throw. I do have to say it wasn't a consistent issue, but did randomly pop-up here and there.
    Yeah. It's every now and then, youll click an ability and be like "Where'd it go?" check your cd and see its consumed.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    OP just wanted someone to affirm his decision to bail out after the free month with the rest of the content locusts.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".