Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Does it have the battle of Yonkers or anything else from the book?

is the movie based off of the book, nv read it myself...

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Does it have the battle of Yonkers or anything else from the book?
    I think it just follows the idea of the book but doesn't involve any of the actual stories from it.

Deleted
    I also saw it, not that bad as they say it was going to be but it isnt the best zombie movie out there.

I give it a 6.5/10

It isnt acurrate to the book as many would wanted to be but still is entreteining. I recomend it to watch it with friends and just have fun without thinking to much about the plot. The movie itself shows like the "outbreack" of the infestation, the first days of the apocalypsis, wich is cool becouse not that many movies show that but apart from that you just see Brad Pitt going around the world looking for the ground zero and patient zero to see if there is a cure. Really, not that bad. I didn´t have any expectations about the movie but in the end I got out of the cinema with a good taste in my mouth.

One of the things that is kind of sad is that this movie is PG 13 so youll miss some zombie gore but the movie stills can handle it without it to give you that kind of fear to the infected. Luckly its not all about shoot´em up kind of thing and you have some variation in the action scenes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanish4ever View Post
    I also saw it, not that bad as they say it was going to be but it isnt the best zombie movie out there.

I give it a 6.5/10

It isnt acurrate to the book as many would wanted to be but still is entreteining. I recomend it to watch it with friends and just have fun without thinking to much about the plot. The movie itself shows like the "outbreack" of the infestation, the first days of the apocalypsis, wich is cool becouse not that many movies show that but apart from that you just see Brad Pitt going around the world looking for the ground zero and patient zero to see if there is a cure. Really, not that bad. I didn´t have any expectations about the movie but in the end I got out of the cinema with a good taste in my mouth.

One of the things that is kind of sad is that this movie is PG 13 so youll miss some zombie gore but the movie stills can handle it without it to give you that kind of fear to the infected. Luckly its not all about shoot´em up kind of thing and you have some variation in the action scenes.
    A PG13 zombie movie? I think I will go watch Man of Steel instead, shame as I am huge zombie fan.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    A PG13 zombie movie? I think I will go watch Man of Steel instead, shame as I am huge zombie fan.
    Yeap, Man of Steel is more promising than WW Z. But even if they added the "zombie gore" to this movie and make it PG 18 or 16 it would have been still the same thing, wich is okay for me becouse it actually shows how you can make a decent zombie movie without a lot of bites and blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    I think it just follows the idea of the book but doesn't involve any of the actual stories from it.
    It doesn't even do that. The narrator didn't do any of the "heroic deeds" Pitt did. As far as being compared to the book, I watched 2 hours of wasted opportunity. No Yonkers. No NFL cat's house getting swarmed. No red headed girl talking about the church. No surveying the empty camp up in Canada. no guy in the wheelchair being on neighbourhood watch. No zed-sniffer dogs that were retired. No guy making movies that boosted morale. There was so much in that book that would have made for interesting screen translation, and they touched none of it.

Max Brooks doesn't have the movie smarts his pop does. Too bad. And with Pitt's company owning the rights to the book, I don't see a proper remake in the future, ever. Big shame.

By itself as a zed flick? Not too bad. Not great, not awful. ~6/10.

Deleted
    It was OK, but if you’ve read the book then you might want to wait for it to hit the rental market first, before watching it. Might soften the blow a bit, not spending so much money to watch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you watch the movie WITHOUT trying to base it off the book, then you won't enjoy it. So ignoring the book it is a 7/10 movie at least and worth a watch if you enjoy zombies. There are some nods to the book, but overall it is its own story, more specifically taking place during the outbreak, not afterwards. The pacing is love it or hate it, I personally liked what they did, and the "camo" cure makes sense tbh. If you look at Max Brooks' history and comments, he writes zombies not as a creature but more of a weapon of a pathogen, which is kind of how the movie describes the entire outbreak. The virus is trying to spread itself to living hosts, not screwed ones. It actually stays true in that sense to what Max Brooks envisions.

Overall, watch it whether or not you hate the book, it is a good summer flick regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Am I the only person who just doesnt like action / shooty / brad pitt type movies. I mean im gona be honest so dont shoot me but Die Hard fucking sucked, so did Borne. I cant sit there and watch the same crappy plot being reused over and over again
    Not saying you have to like them, but honestly dude, if you think Bourne and Die Hard have the same plot, you obviously HAVEN'T watched them, period. Seriously, the only thing they have in common is that they're action movies that have occasional shootings. That's like saying Gettysburg and Gone With the Wind have the same plot cause they both take place during the Civil War, or that Star Wars and 2001:A Space Odyssey have the same plot cause they both feature scenes in space.

Also, Die Hard was pretty much the first major movie to use it's particular plot, so not sure what it was supposed to be reusing(a lot of similar movies came AFTER the fact, but at the time the original Die Hard was rather different)

The movie was good for what it was. I read the book, yeah it didnt really relate to the book at all but the movie was alright. I give it a 7/10, nothing i need to see again for a long time, but it was good for the one time seeing it. They didnt give it any hints for a sequel, it was pretty much a one shot film.

I would say 6.5/10 due to having little to do with the potential source material. As in the stories that occurred during the Great Panic. Several choppy bits in the editing during some of the scenes as well some lighting issues though this might be due to the 3D aspect. The complete change in tone in the final act, but this apparently due to a retooling of the script. The original one is much darker, had negative conentations to Russia, and would have most likely would have gotten the movie rated R.

I put an asterisk beside me seeing this movie as I just got done ziplining and my body still hadn't quite gotten over experience. I thought the movie was okay nothing flashy but not bad at the same time. I couldn't help but think some of the scenes I had seen before in other movies. Brad Pitt was good as well as the Israeli soldier he teams up with.

Was it just me or were they angling to leave the possibility of a World War Z 2?

I was just reading about the second ending that they had thought about using. Glad they scrapped that.

Ending was a hold up by remaining humans in Red Square and they were all using lobos to stop the zekes and after that, Gerry is the leader of mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    I was just reading about the second ending that they had thought about using. Glad they scrapped that.

Ending was a hold up by remaining humans in Red Square and they were all using lobos to stop the zekes and after that, Gerry is the leader of mankind.
    No, that's not quite the original ending they had in mind.

The original ending involved him going to Russia and being drafted into the Russian Forces. It then jumps forward in some time. He leads his own squad and while his group is clearing out tunnels with Lobotomizers, he discovers that the Zekes are vulnerable to the cold and advises the Russian General to do what Russia has always done during wars, use the freezing weather to their advantage.

It also ends with a much better possibility of a sequal. The phone he has to call his wife had been confiscated by some Russian Soldier which he ends up getting back and calling his wife and kids who are in a refugee camp in the everglades, the worst spot to be considering the Zeds thrive in the warm weather. Gerry finds out that his wife had to trade herself in order to provide and survive in the camp. Gerry is called back by a the Paratrooper that picks them up in the begging of the movie who was played by Matthew Fox (Seems like such an insignificant role for such an established actor right? That's because he actually had a bigger part later in the "darker" ending.) and is told to start a new life where he is, like his wife has done. So the movie ends with Gerry making his way back to America with some comrades to get his wife back.

They scrapped that ending for the one they released. Personally I would have preferred the darker ending.
    Last edited by BobAwesome; 2013-06-25 at 03:16 PM.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

Deleted
    I want to watch it, until i read about that ending....hope there will be an uncut version on blu ray with alternative ending. it also sucks, that nearly each bigger movie runs only in 3D here. Don't want to support that overpriced tickets anymore. Only for real blockbusters!

Quote Originally Posted by remoss84 View Post
    I want to watch it, until i read about that ending....hope there will be an uncut version on blu ray with alternative ending. it also sucks, that nearly each bigger movie runs only in 3D here. Don't want to support that overpriced tickets anymore. Only for real blockbusters!
    As a "zombie" movie, it's in my top 3 with 28 Days Later and I Am Legend. If people go into a movie adaptation of a book, shame on those fools. You should never expect a movie or show to be like the written source material, even walking dead is like this. There needs to be new stuff to surprise ALL of the audience, not just the people who are new to the series.

I would say World War Z was inspired by the book, not based off it.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

I'm not really complaining about how the movie doesn't follow the book, because I think that it would be difficult to translate the book over to movie form. The book is definitely better, but I still enjoyed myself while watching the movie. As somebody else said, I think it's more of an "inspired by the book" adaptation. It was all right. I'd say that it's worth seeing, at the very least. Had a handful of stressful moments, which I don't experience often in movies, so that was a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    As a "zombie" movie, it's in my top 3 with 28 Days Later and I Am Legend.
    Wow, that's depressing.