Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It has longevity, but in a different way. Since it's a B2P game you can play it whenever you want without feel obligated that you actually have to do stuff because of a monthly subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Does it have longevity? Yes. But only if you don't burn yourself out on it first.

Realistically, Guild Wars 2, much like its predecessor, isn't built to withstand 40+ hours a week, every week, that current MMO players are looking to put into it. It's not. And when you start to pour that much in, week after week, you burn yourself out, you get tired of it, and look for something new.

It was never meant to replace your current favorite game of choice, and is an excellent game to play alongside something else. I've personally been spending a lot of my time lately playing Donkey Kong Country Returns (11/10, solid recommendations) and whatever's on my 3DS or PSP (can't afford a Vita, shoot me), thus when I log into Guild Wars 2 it's because it's something I want to do. Not something I push myself to do.

And because I take that step of wanting to, I enjoy the content I'm faced with, be it WvW (small squad or striker/scout, refuse to zerg) based PvP, the standardized PvP, or whatever zones I feel like playing through in PvE. And the updates? The updates keep it fresh. And I like that.

So if you ask me? Yes, this game has longevity, as long as you take the time to enjoy it. You can't microwave a frozen roast beef, trying to devour as much of it as fast as you can, and expect it to actually be edible, let alone enjoyable.
    Pretty much this... it has potential longevity given that you don't try to play it (time wise) like a "traditional MMO". It is one of those games where its good to dabble in here and there, to play the holiday events at least once each year each, but not one to spend 20+ hours a week playing. I am someone who use to play MMOs 25-35 hours a week and enjoyed it for a time, but honestly playing 4-8 hours a week is what I find most enjoyable for GW2... aka enough to have a bit of fun but not so much as to cause burn out, because its designed in a way where its a lot easier to get burnout from then other MMOs.

Does it have longevity? Yes. But only if you don't burn yourself out on it first.

Realistically, Guild Wars 2, much like its predecessor, isn't built to withstand 40+ hours a week, every week, that current MMO players are looking to put into it. It's not. And when you start to pour that much in, week after week, you burn yourself out, you get tired of it, and look for something new.

It was never meant to replace your current favorite game of choice, and is an excellent game to play alongside something else. I've personally been spending a lot of my time lately playing Donkey Kong Country Returns (11/10, solid recommendations) and whatever's on my 3DS or PSP (can't afford a Vita, shoot me), thus when I log into Guild Wars 2 it's because it's something I want to do. Not something I push myself to do.

And because I take that step of wanting to, I enjoy the content I'm faced with, be it WvW (small squad or striker/scout, refuse to zerg) based PvP, the standardized PvP, or whatever zones I feel like playing through in PvE. And the updates? The updates keep it fresh. And I like that.

So if you ask me? Yes, this game has longevity, as long as you take the time to enjoy it. You can't microwave a frozen roast beef, trying to devour as much of it as fast as you can, and expect it to actually be edible, let alone enjoyable.
    Fully agree with this. I do log in every day, though, because I do have things to do yet. I just don't play 8 hours a day, I play 3 hours a day usually (more on the weekend), and that's spread apart. I am really looking forward to the first expansion, too. Can't wait until they announce it.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    On the pve side they are pushing out content on a rather enjoyable pace.
    It mostly caters to the players that like the exploring, the fun little things, the dynamic events. It's small content, just like the game is built on loads and loads of 'small content'. I don't mean 'small' in a negative way. GW2 is the perfect game for players getting engulfed in the little things.
    They won't attract new players with this new content I think, but I doubt that's the goal.

So the longevity will come from keeping a stable playerbase, hopefully. Not so much from growing in numbers since they aren't announcing anything that would attract many outsiders to come over.

Pvp wise it's a different story: the announced changed are very little to keep the general pvp crowd interested. The game lacks variety and rankings mostly. People have to grind the same form of pvp forever. And on top of that the system forces pugs to fight premades, which ruins it for most casual players after a while.

If they want longevity as a pvp game, they need to make more changes than what's announced so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimbald View Post
    If they want longevity as a pvp game, they need to make more changes than what's announced so far.
    You mean like this?

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...lifying-Points
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...ments-are-Live
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/s...d-pvp-iceberg/

Lots of potential from the eSports end of things. Just look what League of Legends is doing with 32 million players monthly and 3 million logged on at any given time. I'm sure the $5,000,000 prize money helps fuel those numbers.....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasoneva...-call-of-duty/
    Valar morghulis

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    You mean like this?

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...lifying-Points
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...ments-are-Live
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/s...d-pvp-iceberg/

Lots of potential from the eSports end of things. Just look what League of Legends is doing with 32 million players monthly and 3 million logged on at any given time. I'm sure the $5,000,000 prize money helps fuel those numbers.....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasoneva...-call-of-duty/
    Qualifying points are paid tournies only.
    Did paid tournaments solve the issue of premade versus pug? Sorry to say but no: it didn't.
    Go join a tpvp as pug, you'll face premade teams just like before.

Paid tournament queues are quite long, showing there is less interest in them as expected.
    I watched a stream with Jon Peters in a paid tounry game himself. It had 240 viewers and that was considered a lot by the streamers.

Why would someone offer prize money for a game where the pvp is a conquest mode that is pretty hard to get an overview on?
    E-sport stands and falls with an audience that wants to view it. No money will come unless the viewer base is big.

GW2 pvp combat may or not be fun to do, but it certainly is very hard to follow for a spectator. It's simply not clear who is doing what exactly, and what the direct effect of that action is on the total fight.

Please link me an outside source saying GW2 is e-sport material, because the blogs I read (that you linked) aren't adressing the issues I see with GW2 pvp.

I respect Jon Peters, don't get me wrong. But I don't think that either the paid tournaments or the qualifying points, adressed the state of pvp in GW2.
    It might set the basis to create a pvp elite, but so far it has done nothing to create an actual large pvp base and thus pvp audience.

When introducing paid tounranments, they could have made spvp hot join 5v5 instead of 8v8. That would have given the pugs an actual place to do real conquest without facing premades.
    Haloween gave some hope by the fun new pvp games, but they aren't turning into something permanent.

So yes: I do mean other changes than the blogs you linked.

They specifically said they won't be introducing new game modes anytime soon, only the announced new conquest map at 15 november patch.
    I consider that not enough of a change to keep a large pvp base happy.
    My personal view on things, this should go without saying.

Well, not from a PvP-view. sPvP gets destroyed by only one game mode and the missing of an elo system. WvWvW is also completely meaningless -> no motivation to win or to replay it. Also zerg > all. I played a lot in the first or second EU group (Elona) with a big and organised guild. It was fun in the beginning and we brought home many wins. I had to follow a command a huge zerg, we played a lot with mesmer portals, surprised enemy zergs, attacked some keeps with tons of golems. It was fun for a few hours but it got old extremely quickly for me (15 hours >), especially because i'm more of a small-combat fighter. You do all this and get nothing, not even a "win"-experience because taking a keep or a tower is very unsatisfying.

I played WoW arena forever, just because it was so fun and because it had an elo system (But Blizzard forced me to quit after BC sadly). CS or League of Legends are kinda the same: CS is just heavily competitive and fun and that was enough to let me play for more than a year, same with TF2, L4D, MW1 etc. In league of legends I have unlocked all champs and runes im interested in and I would still have enough IP to unlock 2 6300 Champs. However, I still have motivation and a lot of fun playing it, even without """"gear""""-progression (runes/champs = ""gear""). It's probably because Summoners Rift is so varying, while conquest is always the same, even the maps are very similar. Also Lol has "skill progression"-meter, while GW2 has NOTHING.

EDIT: Also gear in Arena was another thing. In the first few weeks of a season I always had a good 5v5, so I got tons of points and had mostly the new gear in less than 2 month (tbh can't even remember xD but i never really worried about my gear). So gearmill wasn't there, I just played it for fun and because of the rating. I wish there would be deathmatch in GW2
    Last edited by Teabaker; 2012-11-10 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anaralah View Post
    only thing that is keeping me away from the game (after around 250 hours of gameplay) is that gold is hard to farm for my standarts , my main way of income has been questing in both wow and rift and selling the stuff i gathered while questing.I hate playing with the ah and i hate farming specific stuff.If pvp would earn you money i wouldnt have any problem i guess as i am able to glory farm like a bitch.Dynamic events should give around five times more money than they do now for me to feel that i am actually getting something from them and i wouldnt have to spam aoe to try tagging mobs.That is it really i want to do lots of stuff in this game but being broke all the time keeps me away from it.
    FYI WvW has been my main source of income, so you can definitely make lots of gold in PvP. We run around capping camps/killing dolyaks/doing the mob events which is similar to questing but you are basically repeating your actions and every now and then getting into fights (2-3 of us can do this pretty efficiently). Not sure exactly how much gold we get from it but I'd guess around 75s an hour after selling. Not having to pay for WPs really helps.

I find the zerg in Orr to be quite boring so I just stick with the WvW, no idea how comparable the profits are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    This is a pretty damning view of the game. You're essentially saying that GW2 must be played in small doses to be enjoyable. As a game designer I would view this as an sign of absolute failure with my product. A good game is the one that draws you in constantly, something you want​ to play everyday.
    I disagree pretty much with this statement, I play Xcom and FTL in tiny bits on a weekly basis, but i love them as games they're extremely brilliant games that amuse me everytime i play them, but i don't want to play them on a lengthy period.

Well, if you've played 300-500 hours since launch you're going to be bored no matter what game you play.

My guild has a WvWvW once a week for 3-4 hours. That's great fun, especially if you're in organized groups. It plays a bit like Battlefield-meets-Alterac Valley. Small teams coordinated well can make a big difference.

Dungeons wise, I think Rift and WoW have it slightly better. I like the GW2 challenge, but they're tricky and a bit hard to pull off regularly. I think 5 man dungeons is where the inherent role definition of the 'holy trinity' shines most brightly... it breaks down in pvp, and raiding to a lesser extent.

The zones achievements, exploration...personal stories, crafting, zone events. Dailies. Seasonal events. WvWvW.

Love the game, and that it doesn't penalize me if i don't play one week. No gear curve I fall behind; progress is almost entirely cosmetic or so incremental as to not to worry.

I think the game needs content patches. It needs regular content patches. That's all that a newborn MMO needs; delicious nutrients pumped through the umbilical cord. The features are skinny, but all MMOs released now are like that; just needs more meat on its bones and it'll be a much more attractive option. Not to imply it's unattractive at the moment.

Yes! I think this game will last a long time. I absolutely love this game and I think I'll be playing it year. Will I be taking a lot of breaks? Yes! This isn't WoW, its not meant to force you to play it like a job. The majority of the end game stuff is easy to get if you've got the patience, so there's no need to gear grind for weeks and months. I loved the first guild wars for what it offered, as I will this game, even with whatever flaws it may have. I'm sure it'll get even better with time.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I think the game needs content patches. It needs regular content patches. That's all that a newborn MMO needs; delicious nutrients pumped through the umbilical cord. The features are skinny, but all MMOs released now are like that; just needs more meat on its bones and it'll be a much more attractive option. Not to imply it's unattractive at the moment.
    Thats what they are doing. Each month a new content patch and unique events. Its perfect for casuals, and casual play is the only thing I care about.

Deleted
    with their current plan of adding new content every month: hell yes

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it has longevity since it is addressing a special category of the gamers.
    I for one, am pleased with most of the content, and I have passed the age where I have alot of time for games, raids, farming reputation and all that WoW-like things.

Very intelligent post. The biggest problem in gaming today is the burn out because certain players must be level cap first or they must have the best gear immediately and put in so much time quickly and early in the game's life they get bored, quit, then blame the game.

It's time gamers realized they are part of the problem and are also the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post
    Well, if you've played 300-500 hours since launch you're going to be bored no matter what game you play.
    I keep hearing people say this, but tbh I've played around 400 hours (idk how much of that was afk) and I'm still having a blast. I work full time so that is a very large amount of hours - more so than people who practically play games for a living - nearly all my free time goes into this game.

I played UO for probably 10000 hours over the space of 14 years and will probably play it again in the future. Also, Pangya, which wasn't a very well known game, I must have logged at least 3000-4000 hours before I burnt out on it. There were many people who did the same for all of those games. I'm sure many people played thousands of hours of WoW (a game I didn't enjoy). 100+ hours for any gamer is the sign of a pretty good game, but I was more wondering if people will play GW2 as their main game. Spacing out 500 hours of gameplay over multiple years isn't really the same thing I was asking - but I did get answers.

The population of GW2 doesn't seem that high for how new it is, it will be interesting to see if it goes up or down at this stage. I sPvP all day and the game browser probably shows that there's less than 500 people playing at any given time (out of 2-3 million copies sold? That's 0.02% of people who bought the game in sPvP at any given moment). Obviously ANet were expecting more, because there are literally hundreds of empty game servers. There are more people logged on to a free Ultima Online server I play.. a game that came out in 1997.

I guess my point with what seems to be conflicting points of view, is that I really enjoy this game and I want to see it succeed in a certain way that it doesn't seem to be currently doing. I'd love to see the PvP become a great esport that people like to watch. Maybe I'm just pessimistic though.

edit: there's currently just over 200 people in spvp. There are more people playing CounterStrike source in New Zealand alone O_O
    Last edited by nightshark; 2012-11-13 at 06:33 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nightshark View Post
    So I say: Yes, it has longevity for me. I can see myself playing this game for a long time, especially with the regular content updates.
    Same here, I am enjoying it very much, and the only downside for me personally so far are the jumping puzzle gankers in the Eternal Battlegrounds. Other than that, no complaints.

At its current state, no. It's deffinetly worth your money because i half rushed through everything and still spent 150 hours just to hit 80. After 80 i spent another 100 hours on just doing random things. I'm not 100% map yet so yea there is deffinetly more to do, but i find it lacking in some PvE aspect. However, if they keep pumping out monthly content like they are doing, then it won't be long before newcomers will be overwhelmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    At its current state, no. It's deffinetly worth your money because i half rushed through everything and still spent 150 hours just to hit 80. After 80 i spent another 100 hours on just doing random things. I'm not 100% map yet so yea there is deffinetly more to do, but i find it lacking in some PvE aspect. However, if they keep pumping out monthly content like they are doing, then it won't be long before newcomers will be overwhelmed.
    ^ this.

I was away for a while. Yesterday i started a new character (necro) and i have a blast. I expect another 200 - 300 hours of fun.