Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Does it have longevity? Yes, like many people have said, it you does not burn yourself out, i have seen it way to many times, like my m8 in wow, he comes back to wow, play 24/7 for 4 weeks, then after that he stops. Guild wars is a fun game, but guild wars " road" is what the game is about, Guild wars do not have end game contenst, many people have said it, PVE is just stupid " oh we have no tank or healer" yeah, a wipe party is fun... But the PVP is amazing, and the world also just feels fun, as an engineer it never stops being funny running around with a flame trower, and then 10 mins later haveing greandes, or a elixir gun.

It is a game that can be played for a long long time, it has the most fun PVP there is, the world is fun, you can not outlevel contenst. But NO it will never have as many players as wow does, or did. If you over play it, you will get sick of it, so then it is a no. But i mean i am suprsied that they updates the lost shores for free, that is really big of them, and if they have alteast the major events, it will have a bright future

It doesn't have WoW's style of longevity, which is a very, very good thing. They've avoided a true gear grind, and that's really important.

However, as far as creating their own longevity... I'd say that for PvE players, it's only slightly better than other games of this scale. Skyrim, for example. PvP on the other hand always creates its own longevity for competitive players, and that is certainly popular.

But yes, I think they could have done better for PvE-only fans. Remember the videos and talks Anet released before the game came out, explaining how they wanted players to feel like their actions impact the world around them? I think they could have done that better - and in doing so, could really improve their longevity.

For example, what if there was a level 80 PvE equivalent of WvW? What if it had its own chain of server-wide, weekly events - each event complete with branching paths of various success and failure dictating what the next event would be - and moved forward every weekend with a grand battle? And during the week, you could go to the battlefield and do normal events that would help prepare for these weekend wars, to make them easier - make allies, sabotage the enemy, etc. What if every successful dungeon you played through made that weekend-event easier in some way for the whole server, too?

And everything you did along the way steps you closer to special "this looks cool" gear, like the legendary weapons. I think that'd be pretty neat - especially if they kept expanding on it over time.
    Last edited by Tyroie; 2012-11-13 at 02:21 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it does, but it really depends on player mentality. Personally the game will have a very long life for me - I love many things about it, genuinely have fun playing it and I do not have enough time to keep up with current content, so I'm always catching up anyways. For those not working/studying and have a lot of time, I can see where it'd have less longevity due to the "lack" of end game content. However, I still feel the game offers lots in other aspects aside from the gear grind; it's more a game you play just for fun, and go looking for fun things to do. It's just simply, not about the gear.

I enjoy both this model and I've found the perfect game that keeps me both interested in playing it and WoW at the same time. The lack of subscription fee also serves to remind me how much more awesome this game is DESPITE "only" being a buy to play game.

Its a really good question. I was super excited about GW2, I played every BWE and played maybe 200 hours after the launch. Im not really sure what happened but since 2-3 weeks, when I log in, I just wander around Lions Arch for 15-20 min and I log off. Its the same exact thing that happened to me in WoW.

Maybe Im just tired of the genre... PvP is OK, I have 100% exploration on one of my toon, it was fun. Personnaly, I think I miss the trinity. It's almost like if playing with people doesn't change anything. Sure you have boons and small AoE heals, but there is no real tactic. Also, the fact that you are never OP is fun at the beginning, but after 100 hours at level 80, I'm tired. I don't see any progress on my main so I have to make alts.

TITAN 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Mavecryst View Post
    I think it does, but it really depends on player mentality. Personally the game will have a very long life for me - I love many things about it, genuinely have fun playing it and I do not have enough time to keep up with current content, so I'm always catching up anyways. For those not working/studying and have a lot of time, I can see where it'd have less longevity due to the "lack" of end game content. However, I still feel the game offers lots in other aspects aside from the gear grind; it's more a game you play just for fun, and go looking for fun things to do. It's just simply, not about the gear.

I enjoy both this model and I've found the perfect game that keeps me both interested in playing it and WoW at the same time. The lack of subscription fee also serves to remind me how much more awesome this game is DESPITE "only" being a buy to play game.
    Hey aren't you in for a surprise.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I really am sick of this "blame the players" crap used as an excuse for everything.

There's not a whole lot to do in GW2 right now. That's not a matter of "rushing" or "burnout", it's just a matter of quantities. Unless you count "just walk around to various geometric figures on the map because it says so" as content, you can do pretty much everything in pretty short order.
    I have a whole lot to do, still getting better gear, still get costume sets I want, still working to finish completion of the map, still doing WvW, still doing puzzles and still doing dungeons what the hell else are we to expect to be doing?

Unless you're a dedicated completionist, I just don't see a terribly large amount of things to worry about doing.
    Could say that about any game, especially if it's a game that you aren't particularly interested in.

With the way the new patch has been made to address some main issues, I think that yes it does because I think that the team doing this thing has it in them to make it last.

Yes, yes. Yes

Deleted
    Well, that IS fair...but you can still look at things objectively and say, "Ok, there's not a lot to do." or "Ok, there's plenty to do."
    And there is plenty to do unless you decide you don't want to do it or like it or whatever, why do you even bother when you clearly hate the game so much? in fact do you even have time to play anything when you are stuck in here like an anti GW2 propaganda machine?

Deleted
    Oh relax, we don't have to do this every time someone has a negative view of something around here.
    You've posted hundreds of negative views by now sorry for pointing it out but that is quite strange behaviour.

And yes, I suppose it depends on your view. Me, for instance, I cannot fathom how "map completion" is treated as content. Some people just love it, though. So while I reject that as "something to do", other people think it's a completely fair offering.
    It's a goal to work towards even if "map completion" is not technically content in itself, the content is obviously completing the hearts and vistas something I still enjoy tons after reaching 80.
    Last edited by mmoc7104c19b7e; 2012-11-14 at 10:37 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Hey aren't you in for a surprise.
    That sounds vaguely negative why am I in for a surprise?

Quote Originally Posted by Mavecryst View Post
    That sounds vaguely negative why am I in for a surprise?
    In order to help facilitate people who don't want to spend months reaching towards a legendary that's not functionally better than that plain ordinary sword you have, but still give them a "sense of progression", they're now implementing a set of gear that is currently above our currently max equippable gear. They're pacing it out over a slow long time (But hey, that's okay, Dragon Soul was out for 10 months, ICC was 12 months, Firelands was 8 months), and it's not a lot of stats (do you remember how big the stats jump was from t10 gear to heroic t10? About 10 haste rating sound right?), so that makes the completely hypocritical stance of the game completely fine with a lot of people.

But if you came here expecting to not have a gear treadmill [progression initiative], I'm sorry, but it's coming. And there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it now.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-11-15 at 04:19 AM.

Deleted
    Longevity? No, not now, one of the reasons I and most of the people I play with bought it was because we wouldn't have to grind tiers of max level gear & that we could leave it for a while if busy and come back at no disadvantage, leaving us to get on with what we enjoy, mainly WvW, most of us will now be leaving.

By going back on the philosphy they have been selling the game on for 5 years, just a couple of months into the game, Anet have shown themselves to be thoroughly dishonest.

But if you came here expecting to not have a gear treadmill, I'm sorry, but it's coming. And there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it now.
    You mean, gear progression initiative.

Get it right, Kel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    You mean, gear progression initiative.

Get it right, Kel.
    Sorry, Fencers. I updated that, just to be clear.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    In order to help facilitate people who don't want to spend months reaching towards a legendary that's not functionally better than that plain ordinary sword you have, but still give them a "sense of progression", they're now implementing a set of gear that is currently above our currently max equippable gear. They're pacing it out over a slow long time (But hey, that's okay, Dragon Soul was out for 10 months, ICC was 12 months, Firelands was 8 months), and it's not a lot of stats (do you remember how big the stats jump was from t10 gear to heroic t10? About 10 haste rating sound right?), so that makes the completely hypocritical stance of the game completely fine with a lot of people.

But if you came here expecting to not have a gear treadmill [progression initiative], I'm sorry, but it's coming. And there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it now.
    Haha, fair enough. But I'm ok with it, it wouldn't magically create the time I need for actual gear progression, so I'd still play the game for the other aspects I find fun.

Deleted
    I'm naturally super critical of games. Just in my nature, doesn't mean that I'm rabidly hating this or that game specifically. I spend a lot of time gaming, so I'm pretty finicky about...well, everything.

Rest assured, for every thing that I say I hate about GW2, there's something else that I really like. Those topics just don't come up much.
    I guess that's the diffrence between us then, I'm supercritical about life and when I play games it's to have fun and/or relax I try to see the positive sides I like and just enjoy them, if not there has to be something that really stands out as bad for me to focus on it.
    Last edited by mmoc7104c19b7e; 2012-11-15 at 10:12 AM.

For me, no. The leveling process is very similar to SWTOR in the sense that it's fun once but not fun afterwards.

A lot of the things that I liked prior to launch, I actually don't like in the game, namely:

De-leveled in zones.
    The lack of gear grind
    Dynamic events (I'll explain in a bit)
    WvWvW
    Dungeons without the "trinity"

Before launch I thought all of those concepts were going to be amazing for me. But the de-leveling in zones started to annoy me, as a lot of times if I was in a lower zone it was to get 100% map completion, and the de-leveling process just bogged down the rate that I could move through the zone.

I always thought a MMO without a gear grind would be great, but I found myself with nothing to do a week or 2 after hitting 80. I was genuinely bored.

The dynamic event system sounded like the greatest thing ever, especially when they talked about events taking weeks to complete, etc... What ended up happening is a DE belt mill experience, where you just camp a spot over and over again waiting for the quick-respawn of the event. The world felt no more alive than other MMOs without these events happening. Sure, the first time I did them it was amazing, but it wasn't like a raid/operation and subsequent experiences were far less fun than doing group content in other MMOs each week.

WvWvW - it's just a mess. Class balance isn't exactly ideal and the the entire execution of this feature is pretty sloppy.

Again, I thought the lack of the trinity was going to be amazing - but the dungeons ended up being a mess. Boss/mob mechanics are poorly done, no matter your skill level most mobs will just pick someone and go until they die, and if you're chosen there's simply not enough defensive abilities to survive long enough. If the mobs are ranged and you get picked by all of them, you will die. No target of target means you have no clue when you're being targeted (by ranged) and are incapable of reacting.

There's just a lot of things in this game that I believe will drive people away after they have experienced the first chunk. I logged on yesterday, and our 300 player guild that used to average 150+ online at any given moment was sitting at 4 people, one of them was Snowcrash (one of the developers) - most of them had been offline for so long they were tagged as "unknown" instead of their last location.

I find your post utterly fascinating, Sojou.

This isn't the thread to go into it but goodness there is a lot there to talk about.