Is a Chromebook for me?

I am a university student and I need something to take notes on during class to help me stay awake and be more productive. I hate pen and paper method, so I need either an ultra book or netbook or something similar. What I've done in the past is just take notes on the window's incorporated Rich Text Document which is similar to Wordpad (not Microsoft Word, don't need that). I have a computer at home which I can transfer files too when doing homework and all that jazz which does have MS Word.

My school major doesn't require any kind of software for programming or anything, so I think a windows-less machine will be OK. I like a Chromebook idea because of it's small bloatware, cheap price ($249 USD new) 16gb SSD storage, and relative lightness and portability on top of a 7+ hour battery life. I don't need a slow netbook with a 320gb harddrive because I will never, ever, ever be downloading stuff to this, so space is not an issue (maybe theres a cheap ssd netbook out there?). I just need something to take notes on and browse the web (for those really boring lecture days).

I know the Chromebook uses an "Always Connected" mentality, in which you have to be online to access google docs to type stuff, but is there offline options for when I'm not connected to the internet almost like a "Wordpad" for chrome OS? I can always transfer stuff with usb later or just email to myself to do actual work on my regular PC.

So my limitation is price, no more than $250 USD to spend. Would a chromebook fit my needs or is there a better alternative for similar price?
    Last edited by Uncle Julian; 2012-11-08 at 07:52 PM.

According to Google's Chromebook site there is an offline mode for apps, so you should probably be ok with that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    I am a university student and I need something to take notes on during class to help me stay awake and be more productive. I hate pen and paper method, so I need either an ultra book or netbook or something similar. What I've done in the past is just take notes on the window's incorporated Rich Text Document which is similar to Wordpad (not Microsoft Word, don't need that). I have a computer at home which I can transfer files too when doing homework and all that jazz which does have MS Word.

My school major doesn't require any kind of software for programming or anything, so I think a windows-less machine will be OK. I like a Chromebook idea because of it's small bloatware, cheap price ($249 USD new) 16gb SSD storage, and relative lightness and portability on top of a 7+ hour battery life. I don't need a slow netbook with a 320gb harddrive because I will never, ever, ever be downloading stuff to this, so space is not an issue (maybe theres a cheap ssd netbook out there?). I just need something to take notes on and browse the web (for those really boring lecture days).

I know the Chromebook uses an "Always Connected" mentality, in which you have to be online to access google docs to type stuff, but is there offline options for when I'm not connected to the internet almost like a "Wordpad" for chrome OS? I can always transfer stuff with usb later or just email to myself to do actual work on my regular PC.

So my limitation is price, no more than $250 USD to spend. Would a chromebook fit my needs or is there a better alternative for similar price?
    I guess that is OK.
    Still, I think if you're using MS word a lot, you should have a windows machine. But that's just my opinion.

Honestly I think for that much you might as well just get a netbook and have a pretty functional windows os and software support.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    Honestly I think for that much you might as well just get a netbook and have a pretty functional windows os and software support.
    Yeah I was looking at those, about 90% of them come with some kind of Windows Lite version or something. Is that a skimmed down version of windows? (I'm worried It wont have that free wordpad thing on it). Also, most reviews say the chromebook keyboard is very nice quality, like a step down from a macbook air. All of the netbooks I've fooled around on at bestbuy have these cheap plastic POS feeling keys and are 90% and 96% shrunk down. There's so many netbooks out there I don't know where to direct my search. Also, I don't want a 5400 rpm drive = loud = slow = heavy = less battery life
    Last edited by Uncle Julian; 2012-11-08 at 08:28 PM.

Get a used ultrabook. I recently sold a new Toshiba Z835 on ebay for like $500 and I've seen used go for around $300. Pricing should be similar for other ultrabooks. It is a huge step up from a netbook or chromebook.

Yeah I was looking at those, about 90% of them come with some kind of Windows Lite version or something. Is that a skimmed down version of windows? (I'm worried It wont have that free wordpad thing on it). Also, most reviews say the chromebook keyboard is very nice quality, like a step down from a macbook air. All of the netbooks I've fooled around on at bestbuy have these cheap plastic POS feeling keys and are 90% and 96% shrunk down. There's so many netbooks out there I don't know where to direct my search. Also, I don't want a 5400 rpm drive = loud = slow = heavy = less battery life
    Most come with Win7 starter edition, which doesnt mean you cant upgrade to home premium or even 8 more than likely. Its a 32 bit os with 4gb max limit memory. There are quite a few features not in starter mode but there is at least an upgrade path but common things like note pad and what not will work. Its really going to come down to what you prefer. If chromebook does what you need it to do get it. But if you find your self needing more than semi tablet features you might be kicking your self in the ass down the line not getting a netbook or cheapo laptop.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

I would personally go for a tablet instead of a chromebook.

If your spending around 300 then at least buy something that is worth it and frankly the only reason why you should even buy a chromebook is if you hate Microsoft and love google.

Tablets are just as productive as a chromebook (can't compete with a normal laptop) but only cheaper and more fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would never buy a tablet for school, maybe if it came with a keyboard.

I've got a Nexus 7 and I would never dream of using it in a school scenario, I'd much rather use my laptop.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthwings View Post
    I guess that is OK.
    Still, I think if you're using MS word a lot, you should have a windows machine. But that's just my opinion.
    i have MS word but i still almost always take notes with google docs/drive because its always stored on every computer i use and its pretty much the same thing as word.

also keep in mind the 16gb is supposed to be largely irrelevant with a chromebook since everything is stored on the cloud, including music, pictures, docs.

i dont have a chromebook but it can be extremely useful for someone looking for a cheap easy laptop, since like someone stated netbooks come with a lite OS 90% of the time and are pretty limited, with a chromebook you at least have great cloud access and far superior ease of use when you want to go to a true desktop. just go on your desktop and everything you did on your chromebook is stored and very easy to access.
    Last edited by jmacphee9; 2012-11-09 at 08:16 AM.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

I'd say a Chromebook is exactly what you're looking for. If you want some info on using it offline this article of ZDNet sums it up quite nicely, in short yes you can create and edit documents offline.
    http://www.zdnet.com/yes-you-can-use...ne-7000006103/
    If you have a (free) Google account you can automatically sync documents between your pc's whenever you have an internet connection available.

Deleted
    Obviously get the chrome book. I write all of my uni stuff on google docs even though I'm on WIN7 and have MS Office. The low end user used be quite dependent on MS office in the past, but that's not the case anymore at all.

1) You only write essays, power point presentations or simple excel type stuff: just use google docs
    2) You need more functionality for said programs: Libre office, Open office
    3) You are a high end user: You are using R, Scilab etc. on Linux for graphical modelling and deep statistical analysis

Special case: You are an Excel guru or your company requires you to use excel, then you use it and write your own macros etc.