Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

In your opinion what's best for WoW?

AMD 7770 or Nvidia 650 (or 660)?

I want to play WoW on Ultra with 60fps outside cities.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer Nvidia over AMD myself. A 650, however, is really not that amazing. I'd go 680 at least.

Deleted
    Problem is price, don't really wanna spend over £100

This may sound not fair and subjective but never take amd cards over nvidia, save yourself the trouble. Constant compatibility and driver issues. Even if radeon is better by parameters than gf in similar price range it's just not worth the trouble, trust me I've tried.

Deleted
    Depends what other hardware your running with it. I very much doubt you would ever see stable 60+fps on ultra with ANY of those cards (unless you are playing in like 1024x768 res or something).

AMD is on the verge of bankruptcy if their ARM 64 bit gamble doesnt pay off for server CPUs. Plus their Linux drivers are terrible (if that matters to you). I'd support NVIDIA Just because their future seems more bright and they will probably have better drivers going forward.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    This may sound not fair and subjective but never take amd cards over nvidia, save yourself the trouble. Constant compatibility and driver issues. Even if radeon is better by parameters than gf in similar price range it's just not worth the trouble, trust me I've tried.
    This is your own opinion and I respect that, I myself have had ATI cards ever since the Radeon 9700 pro (YEARS ago now) and have never once had a problem with drivers.

Don't forget that not many moons ago, there was a driver update for nVidia cards which cooked customers graphics cards! Both camps have had issues - just putting that out there as well!

Deleted
    Where's also best to buy em

Deleted
    Depends on your CPU really.
    Why do you think nvidia are more popular? I've used Radeons for 5 years and am now using nvidia, glad I made the switch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Where's also best to buy em
    I have used www.scan.co.uk for many years without an issue.

Check their "Today only" section - can find some bargains in there!

Deleted
    intel core i7 920 2.67GHx x 8

---------- Post added 2012-11-09 at 01:41 PM ----------

Am I reading that correct ? £300+ for a Nvidea GeForce 680?!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AnarchyEU View Post
    Depends on your CPU really.
    Why do you think nvidia are more popular? I've used Radeons for 5 years and am now using nvidia, glad I made the switch.
    For the same reason Justin Beiber is more popular than The Mentors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Problem is price, don't really wanna spend over £100
    Then you're not going to get 60fps on ultra. Really. I run a 480 right now which would outperform a 640 - 650 and it can drop to 40 and sub 40 depending on what I'm looking at and how far I zoom out (more to draw). At $100 you're gonna be dropping some of the effects down. WoW's graphical engine may be dated, but it's got a lot of improvements from classic.

Am I reading that correct ? £300+ for a Nvidea GeForce 680?!
    That sounds about right. I paid $550 for my 480 when it was current

NVIDIA would probably give you best performance increase (usually with various artifacts), but AMDs are more cool. NVIDIA cards die way faster than AMDs for this reason. If you don't want to spend over 100$, I guess you don't look on video card as some expendable, and thus I'd advice you to go for AMD.
    Constant compatibility and driver issues.
    Don't use latest version of Catalyst, problem solved. If there are some compatibility/drivers issues (which NVIDIA has too) - it is fault of software developers, not AMD. Sometimes PEBCAK, when people just throw video drivers on top of each other.

Deleted
    Hmm, see i'm getting mixed messages - in http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t=adam86shadow i'm told a Radeon 7700 or GeForce 660 will suffice

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, see i'm getting mixed messages - in http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t=adam86shadow i'm told a Radeon 7700 or GeForce 660 will suffice
    Well a 660 is definitely better than a 640, so go for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your big decision between the two? How much heat can you tolerate -- AMD videocards are v-e-r-y hot even not overclocked.

But I personally would not use any other video card, not because of some brand loyalty, but because the bang for the buck. All AMD videocards I've owned with 24/7 operation I can still run today...even the cards all the way back to 1998. They are built like tanks. Every single Nvidia card I've had died around the end of the warranty period...every single one (I laugh they must have a killswitch).

Have a 7970 and it can run 3 clients at once with 60+fps on ultra settings. Before that had the 6970 and it could run WoW with around 50-60fps for 3 clients. Stock. No issues.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Your big decision between the two? How much heat can you tolerate -- AMD videocards are v-e-r-y hot even not overclocked.

But I personally would not use any other video card, not because of some brand loyalty, but because the bang for the buck. All AMD videocards I've owned with 24/7 operation I can still run today...even the cards all the way back to 1998. They are built like tanks. Every single Nvidia card I've had died around the end of the warranty period...every single one (I laugh they must have a killswitch).
    I would agree with you on all except first phrase. AMDs have special system Cool-and-Quiet, how hot they become greatly differs from model to model, though most of them are cooler than same NVidias. And that's also why they live longer :P

Deleted
    Cheeers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Since the rest of your post seems okay, lets forgive this useless blanket statement. This test

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...k,3135-15.html

has the 7770, the card the OP asks about, measuring in at 65 degrees - second coolest of 8 cards mentioned - and quite silent. As for the OP, mentioning a resolution kinda sorta would have helped, you know.