Poll: Do you like active mitigation?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How do you like the active mitigation model?

I haven't gotten alot of raid time in yet, but I was raiding last night and it seemed like I was constantly waiting on active mitigation. Between watching the ground, watching timers, waiting for enough rage to use mitigation, holding threat, and making sure I was in range to be able to taunt at the right time it was getting kinda crazy. If I didn't use my mitigation I was taking alot more damage.

I by no means am a rookie tank as I started tanking on my warrior in Kara, but one of the things I liked about my warrior is he was kinda spammable and I wasn't constantly waiting for a cool down.

What do you think and what are you doing to deal with this?

Especially the cats are unforgiving because you lose the benefit of your active mitigation to the bleed effect (rend flesh) the second you use it. So at that fight it indeed feels a bit iffy since all you do is try to get to 60 rage as fast as possible (i still tend to spam SBarr though ).

I hope it gets better with more melee heavy bosses.

- it takes time to get used to -

Deleted
    Love it. I've tanked since vanilla and it is one of the most refreshing changes, the model has hardly changed since vanilla to MoP. Cataclysm had to be the most "boring" due to being able to completely cap the hit table, outside of manging CDs there was little to do other than push your DPS. Our resource is an actual resource, rather than an infinite pool that bought heroic strikes. Takes a bit of getting used to, I had to rebind heroic strike from mouse5 to something I wouldn't press as a habit.

I don't really like it too much now, but mostly it'll just take time to get used to.

welcome to what blood dks have had to do since cata.

Quote Originally Posted by valliant13 View Post
    you talk like it's such a hassle to do it. DKs were the best tanks in cata anyways, after the change that is.

Feels really clunky to me. Almost reminds me of a Rogue where your constantly working to get combo points.

I haven't played him in MoP, but in Cata my DK was much easier than my warrior is now. Your Death Strike is pretty much your main button and you can easily monitor runes.

The new Warrior active mitigation is trickier. You need to build up the rage with your regular rotation of 3-4 abilities, and at 60 rage, activate your shield block. If you delay, you hit the cap and waste rage. If you use heroic strike when you don't have the buff, you waste a rage for shield block.

I find that monitoring this on its own is easy, but when I have to deal with the boss tactics on top of them, I often miss shield blocks.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it is harder than DK which I picked up much faster.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by roflmfao View Post
    Feels really clunky to me. Almost reminds me of a Rogue where your constantly working to get combo points.
    I think it feels fine for what the role is. Rogues (currently) are starved of energy during their rotation, there isn't alot there to do. We (prot warriors) get a better deal as there should be something you are pressing with each GCD to increase your rage generation. I'm glad that damage reduction now requires us to work for it, rather than pressing one button or capping out a stat and sitting back and scratching my balls until they were raw.

to the two stating that dk tanking was op in cata...you're surely mistaken...blood was completely underrepresented until dragon soul patch when they got a small buff...they were the WORST tanks due to not having a shield and low armor in comparison to a druid...you're both ignorant to that fact as well misinformed. Also if you think dk's were easier than warriors now they weren't...you didnt just spam death strike, you actually had to time your death strikes and were constantly watching your runes and a bunch of other crap...you BARELY saw encounters so please stop spewing diarrhea from your mouths about dks being the most solid tank in cata cause they werent. Warriors and Paladins were

well first of all, relax, no need to say disgusting stuff. Second of all, a lot would agree with me that DKs were the best tanks in DS. Thirdly, noone said anything about how DKs are supposed to be played, no one said DKs were easier than warriors. And lastly, I saw every single encounter in Cata so... calm down.

My only gripe with active mitigation is imbalance. Some tank classes barely use their active mitigation, while other tanks use it alot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the fact that you hitting the right abilities at the right time can make the difference between a wipe and a kill. I also like he fact that you can use your abilities to save others (Vigilance, Rallying Cry, Intervene, Demoralizing banner)

The thing about the 2 main mitigation moves we have is; I often use all my rage on sblock and hardly ever press sbarrier because theres no rage left. I guess I'm doing it wrong and I still have to get used to it.
    Warlock (SL main)

When I first heard about it, I seriously thought it was a joke, that it would suck and just feel wrong. But Im suprised to how smooth it feels to tank as a warrior right now. Either you use the rage to go def or you spam hs, either way it's a decision you have to make. The old tanking style, where you just had alot of passive avoidance/mitigation through block , feels so inferior compared to this new style of tanking. Altho u need to swap between heavy mastery / stamina builds alot if you want to be optimal for the specific fight. Im sitting at around 7-8 k unbuffed mastery when Im reforged / gemed properly, and whenever I use my shield block , it feels like i have shield wall on! Perfect example of that is will of the emperor hc, if u don't have shield block up you take shitloads of dmg!! I believe that dk was the hardest tank class to master during cata, because it was dependant on your performance with timing DS and such, feels like all of the tanking classes got something similiar to that now and it makes the tanking alot more fun and interesting (most of the time at leats)!

If you still think that it feels abit stupid and clunky, you just need to play more and get used to it so that you kinda get used to your rage flow etc. Or people just simply don't like that style, that's fine too!
    Nowish <Envy> Washed up, classic hero - Feral + War dps/tank PoV-> http://sv.twitch.tv/viss3

I haven't tried warrior or paladin yet, but honestly it feels like a DK knock off for the druid and from what I gather warriors and paladins aren't horridly dissimilar. That's not to say I mind the changes exactly it just feels a little underwhelming. Like they got it close but not quite.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    I haven't tried warrior or paladin yet, but honestly it feels like a DK knock off for the druid and from what I gather warriors and paladins aren't horridly dissimilar. That's not to say I mind the changes exactly it just feels a little underwhelming. Like they got it close but not quite.
    I don't really see a lot of similarities between DKs and warriors. Granted, haven't played a DK since cata but comparing the two models, the warrior is quite vastly different, which is of course a good thing. DKs were about building blood shield to soak damage and providing a lot of self-healing. Warriors are still mainly about mitigation. It just isn't passive anymore and you have to be very active to maintain it.

In a way I actually wish warriors had more effective means to self-heal because, at the moment, our mitigation doesn't seem that much better than that of paladins, yet they have several abilities to help their healers top them up when they dip too low. As warriors, we don't really have a lot of options in that regard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I knw this is Warrior forum, but as a Druid, I can still kick in a comment..

The active mitigation, is causing me to loose interrest in my bear..
    Savage Defense was perfect in Cata, but totally ruined now..
    60 rage to use SD, makes it almost impossible to use Maul, as the duration is WAY TOO SHORT.. If duration was buffed to 60 seconds per activation, it might be usefull, but 6 seconds is worthless..

I have been tanking since Karazhan was where progression..
    Last edited by FuxieDK; 2012-11-10 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OscaR View Post
    well first of all, relax, no need to say disgusting stuff. Second of all, a lot would agree with me that DKs were the best tanks in DS. Thirdly, noone said anything about how DKs are supposed to be played, no one said DKs were easier than warriors. And lastly, I saw every single encounter in Cata so... calm down.
    Man, Firelands heroic was cleared by 10 blood dks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bertzz View Post
    Man, Firelands heroic was cleared by 10 blood dks.
    And you know this how?

to the two stating that dk tanking was op in cata...you're surely mistaken...blood was completely underrepresented until dragon soul patch when they got a small buff...they were the WORST tanks due to not having a shield and low armor in comparison to a druid...
    What happened in DS was that Blizz introduced mechanics that did large amounts of damage that could not be dodged/parried/blocked. This ruined the survivability of warriors and paladins (we were promised that Cata would have slower damage on tanks, no more 100% damage hits so that dodge/parry would be useful again, they lied). Because DKs could build a blood shield, they had a much larger effective health pool and survived these attacks easier. Hence, DKs ruled the roost in DS.

---------- Post added 2012-11-10 at 02:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    In a way I actually wish warriors had more effective means to self-heal because, at the moment, our mitigation doesn't seem that much better than that of paladins, yet they have several abilities to help their healers top them up when they dip too low. As warriors, we don't really have a lot of options in that regard.
    I run with victory and I find it suits my needs. Any more than this and I would be constantly healing.

However, I am irritated that it is too hard to heal when solo questing, especially when the mobs don't die, because it doesn't proc victory. It takes at least 2 foods to heal up, so I'm constantly eating between difficult pulls.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source