Poll: Do you like active mitigation?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post

I run with victory and I find it suits my needs. Any more than this and I would be constantly healing.

However, I am irritated that it is too hard to heal when solo questing, especially when the mobs don't die, because it doesn't proc victory. It takes at least 2 foods to heal up, so I'm constantly eating between difficult pulls.
    I take up second wind for dailies and lol when I reach 35% hp.

OT: I like the active mitigation style a lot, but then again myDK has been my main since wrath and just switched back to war tank for MoP. I do have to say though that there are A LOT of imbalances across all tank classes between self-healing, damage mitigation, and dps. I see DKs topping meters using their regular death strike spam, where I have to line up shield slams with Sblock or use rage to execute in the last 20% to get my numbers close. I also forsee the gap becoming bigger as pallies and monks focus on DPS stats for their active mitigation. From my logs, compared to my guild monk or druid for instance, I seem to take a lot less burst damage with properly timed Sbarrs and Sblocks on melee heavy fights.

I guess differences between tank classes are good, so that no one tank is better at ALL the fights...but still, I wish it was a little bit more balanced. Specially around dps and self healing.

Deleted
    I run with victory and I find it suits my needs. Any more than this and I would be constantly healing.
    Once every 30 seconds hardly counts as constant

Victory is nice when raiding but I would've liked to see a bit more diversity. Like, make victory act much like heroic strike; heals more depending how much rage you spend on it and lower the CD to maybe 15 seconds, or something to that effect. Personally I like enraged regen more, since it provides more healing when I really need it. Imo the only real time to use resources on healing is when you actually need it. Victoring when you're constantly hovering between 60-90% HP isn't useful. I would much rather pop regen when I suddenly drop to ~30% and need to help my healers get me up again.

However, I am irritated that it is too hard to heal when solo questing, especially when the mobs don't die, because it doesn't proc victory. It takes at least 2 foods to heal up, so I'm constantly eating between difficult pulls.
    Yeah, victory really isn't useful when questing. I'd suggest you swap to regen when doing your dailies. I'm pretty indestructable in my protection spec when doing dailies. As fury, I can't pull more than 2-3 mobs at once but as prot I can pull 15 mobs and barely flinch. Victory rush in particular is invaluable in those situations, and ofc you always have regen and other CDs if it seems rush isn't enough. Killing the mobs also isn't a big issue; partially thanks to vengeance, to dragon roar, but also because I rotate damage CDs where needed. Sure I still kill individual mobs much faster as fury but prot is really good at taking down a large group of mobs.
    Last edited by mmoc6e18b67333; 2012-11-10 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    And you know this how?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K31OGXJLCc&feature=fvst - 10 blood dks vs Ragnaros hc.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMWda...feature=relmfu 25 dks vs Firelands normal.

On topic, the new active mitigation is much more interesting than the previous model, i like it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Hemet was behind Garrosh's escape and time travel just so he could hunt big game on old Draenor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marahdeka View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K31OGXJLCc&feature=fvst - 10 blood dks vs Ragnaros hc.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMWda...feature=relmfu 25 dks vs Firelands normal.

On topic, the new active mitigation is much more interesting than the previous model, i like it!
    Ahh... must have misunderstood your post to mean that "only" 10 blood DKs cleared FL on hc. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Flawless101 View Post
    Love it. I've tanked since vanilla and it is one of the most refreshing changes, the model has hardly changed since vanilla to MoP. Cataclysm had to be the most "boring" due to being able to completely cap the hit table, outside of manging CDs there was little to do other than push your DPS. Our resource is an actual resource, rather than an infinite pool that bought heroic strikes. Takes a bit of getting used to, I had to rebind heroic strike from mouse5 to something I wouldn't press as a habit.
    I distinctly remember LK AND Cata having no need for Hit/Exp and there is STILL no need for Hit/Exp. LK was all about stacking Stam out the ass. Cata was about reaching the block cap (switch to NE just for that) and MoP is still roughly the same as Cata except for the fact you cannot hit the block cap.

As to the actual question: It's whatever. It's 2 new abilities to hit depending on what kinda damage the boss is going to be doing.
    Last edited by alturic; 2012-11-10 at 03:22 PM.

Victory is nice when raiding but I would've liked to see a bit more diversity. Like, make victory act much like heroic strike; heals more depending how much rage you spend on it and lower the CD to maybe 15 seconds, or something to that effect. Personally I like enraged regen more, since it provides more healing when I really need it. Imo the only real time to use resources on healing is when you actually need it. Victoring when you're constantly hovering between 60-90% HP isn't useful. I would much rather pop regen when I suddenly drop to ~30% and need to help my healers get me up again.
    The reason I take Victory Rush is because of the short CD. It might be less, but it comes back faster. This is useful to me when using it as a panic heal, because I have less regrets for using it just as a large heal lands on me. Enraged regen is something I would take instead when I know what's going on and have a planned use.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

I'm quite fond of the new active mit system. I've extensively played my War and my Bear with it, and fiddled with a monk.. Prot War now is so fluid once you're used to it, and is so much more interesting than infinite rage lolhstrike spam. Bear is a little less satisfying as he doesn't have quite the same rage flow as my War, but I still really enjoy it. It's nice to tank and have our skills actually help us tank now (non CD skills, obviously). It always felt wrong that to get the best out of my warrior before was to play it as a DPS that held aggro.

Now it plays like a character actually trying to help the healers out by reducing my incoming damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I distinctly remember LK AND Cata having no need for Hit/Exp and there is STILL no need for Hit/Exp. LK was all about stacking Stam out the ass.
    Only difference was, in WotLK, you couldn't avoid getting hit/exp capped, even if you tried..
    I was at 10% (2% over) hit and 17% exp (0,5% off parry cap), and I wasn't even in full HC gear..
    Full HC gear would have meant 11,5% hit and 18% exp.....

This was done with +Stam gems in every slot, except a Nightmare Tear to activate Meta-gem..

Deleted
    The reason I take Victory Rush is because of the short CD. It might be less, but it comes back faster. This is useful to me when using it as a panic heal, because I have less regrets for using it just as a large heal lands on me. Enraged regen is something I would take instead when I know what's going on and have a planned use.
    I suppose, each to their own. I just haven't found the tank damage to be so intense on our healers, not yet anyway, to make a concern about my HP. We've actually been using DPS trinkets, foods and flasks lately just to boost our damage (me and my pala tank partner that is). I would still maintain that getting small heals when you don't really need them is a sort of waste of GCD. Enrage regen heals more and is more useful in those high tank damage spikes, like Elagon's last phase for instance.

Btw, I trust we're talking about Impending Victory and not Victory Rush?

... MoP is still roughly the same as Cata except for the fact you cannot hit the block cap.
    In the beginning of Cata, I was able to go all out on mastery, because of the way shield block behaved. Now shield block is guaranteed to make us block the hits and it is relatively easy to maintain a high uptime. Particularly now, with low level gear, I think I much prefer stamina over mastery. So it's a very different kind of beast, compared to Cata.

I suppose, each to their own. I just haven't found the tank damage to be so intense on our healers, not yet anyway, to make a concern about my HP. We've actually been using DPS trinkets, foods and flasks lately just to boost our damage (me and my pala tank partner that is). I would still maintain that getting small heals when you don't really need them is a sort of waste of GCD. Enrage regen heals more and is more useful in those high tank damage spikes, like Elagon's last phase for instance.

Btw, I trust we're talking about Impending Victory and not Victory Rush?

In the beginning of Cata, I was able to go all out on mastery, because of the way shield block behaved. Now shield block is guaranteed to make us block the hits and it is relatively easy to maintain a high uptime. Particularly now, with low level gear, I think I much prefer stamina over mastery. So it's a very different kind of beast, compared to Cata.
    It's not though. You are referring to entry level gear, that by now has all been replaced (unless you are extremely unlucky) but in the end, when you are actually geared "properly" (see: actual raiding gear), you won't be throwing pure stamina in your gear. Actually, I really hope you aren't using any 1 stat gem outside of your 2 JC gems.

Deleted
    It's not though. You are referring to entry level gear, that by now has all been replaced (unless you are extremely unlucky) but in the end, when you are actually geared "properly" (see: actual raiding gear), you won't be throwing pure stamina in your gear. Actually, I really hope you aren't using any 1 stat gem outside of your 2 JC gems.
    I'm referring to the first tier of raiding gear. Unless you've been decking yourself with heroic gear it's still all pretty low level gear, don't care if it's blue or epic. Things might very well change in the later tiers but right now, even with the little mastery I have, I don't feel like I need to push it as high and hard as I felt in the beginning of Cata. It is no longer as good or important to do so, which is a pretty big change imo.