I haven't done heroic, but if the timing doesn't change from Normal, it's 4/5

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haromm - tank this every week, for stacks to drop it's 4th and occasionally a 5th. We've used a fairly undergeared OS tank for it since our first kill and even now he does it in DPS gear as Blood for a bigger effective health pool and higher DPS. 5th stack shouldn't kill you even with an additional melee hit, unless your health pool is tiny. Once Falling Ash and other abilities start coming in at the same time, CDs are far more beneficial - but as mentioned, if you are getting crushed by stacks, just start using cooldowns earlier and on the highest stack or couple of stacks you'll be taking.

If you are taking any more than 4 or occasionally 5 stacks, then that's unnecessary damage; so unless you are gunning for Vengeance (which you definitely shouldn't be trying to abuse if you're struggling at it!), swap at the minimum stacks possible, which will almost always be 4.

We typically swap at 6-7 stacks on average throughout the fight now, outgearing it greatly at >570ilvl... I even take 10-12 at the pull and keep the bosses stacked to burn them a bit faster and blow all my CDs to make that a doddle, but it's totally unnecessary!
    <Judge> Alonsus-EU. 6/8M Uldir
    Prot Paladin
    RECRUITING FOR BFA!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Isnt it 5th and 6th or is my memory terrible? As far as I remember doesnt the stacks reset at 5 half of the times and 6 half of the times roughly.
    Nope it resets at 4 most of the time

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Weightlifter View Post
    Is the tank legendary cloak necessary for that fight or is there a way to the reduce spike damage?
    Definitely wouldn't do it without the cloak - makes it pretty much impossible to die unless it only absorbs the autohit after the strike.

As for reducing damage what I use DP roughly 4-5 seconds (~25 sec duration on debuff) after the 3rd stack this is generally enough for it to work on both the 4th and 5th stack.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zabuzan View Post
    We typically swap at 6-7 stacks on average throughout the fight now, outgearing it greatly at >570ilvl... I even take 10-12 at the pull and keep the bosses stacked to burn them a bit faster and blow all my CDs to make that a doddle, but it's totally unnecessary!
    Ya I don't even use EF until stack 5-6 on the pull and DP at 7-8 ~

You can also have a warrior or rogue disarm the boss if the stacks get a bit too high. We swap at 5 IIRC (but we wait to taunt if the wall is about to be cast).

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    You can also have a warrior or rogue disarm the boss if the stacks get a bit too high. We swap at 5 IIRC (but we wait to taunt if the wall is about to be cast).
    You're expertise capped anyway, just stay stacked with the other tank and your taunt shouldn't affect the wall placement.
    And yeah unglyphed DP for stacks 4/5 and you're peachy.

Tank cloak is a great safety net here due to the big single hits that he does but it's not a bare necessity.
    Last edited by Lackluster; 2013-12-13 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lackluster View Post
    You're expertise capped anyway, just stay stacked with the other tank and your taunt shouldn't affect the wall placement.
    And yeah unglyphed DP for stacks 4/5 and you're peachy.

Tank cloak is a great safety net here due to the big single hits that he does but it's not a bare necessity.
    I would venture that the waiting on taunting for wall is for repositioning the boss, not placing the wall

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    I would venture that the waiting on taunting for wall is for repositioning the boss, not placing the wall
    Possibly but the boss' position is largely irrelevant until the next wall comes anyway, loads of time to move him out a bit and turn him around again. Perhaps I'm a little spoiled on Dark Shamans because we don't have any melee there to bitch about boss movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lackluster View Post
    Possibly but the boss' position is largely irrelevant until the next wall comes anyway, loads of time to move him out a bit and turn him around again. Perhaps I'm a little spoiled on Dark Shamans because we don't have any melee there to bitch about boss movement.
    Some of us are in very heavy melee raids (in my case, we usually have 1 ranged dps) It's not a huge deal repositioning the boss, but doing it on a taunt makes it that much easier.

We just found it easier to taunt after the wall to avoid any slight changes in the positioning of the boss, what with having 7-9 melee and 3 healers standing behind the boss and not wanting to be hit accidentally by the wall.

Deleted
    On my paladin I take 10-15 (we tank them together) before my cloak procs and I barely even use CDs before that. (I realise I'm 'well-geared') so don't worry about taking 6-7 stacks to get proper positioning.

Is it still acceptable to tank in full ret gear with just putting on a shield and 1hander? If LFRs and possibly a flex is the highest raiding i would do
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Regen View Post
    Is it still acceptable to tank in full ret gear with just putting on a shield and 1hander? If LFRs and possibly a flex is the highest raiding i would do
    If you got expertise cap should be fine, might wanna try make sure you have your haste based trinkets on or if one of the ones that more str or crit based maybe try get a tank trinket?
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

I use my 510 spark and the 476 dmc tank trinket. 15% or 7.5%?

Quote Originally Posted by Regen View Post
    I use my 510 spark and the 476 dmc tank trinket. 15% or 7.5%?
    15% expertise, 7.5% hit.

Honestly, just make sure you're over 7.5%hit/exp with your sword+shield (only need to cover hit/exp from 2hnd wep) and you should be good.

Sounds good. I'm still torn between prot and holy as my os and prot just seems easier to keep geared especially if method is decent enough

Hello there,

Following a recent guild upheaval one of our tanks left for pastures new leaving me, a former Resto Druid, to fill in. I like to think I know what I am doing but that is unlikely the case. I have been reading as much as I can get my hands on about Protection Paladins but I still feel like I may be doing it wrong, hence the rather long winded post here.

Here is my Armory link: eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ghostlands/Svallin/simple
    Some recent WOL: worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-3ujy9seknxzwazfi/

I like to change up the Divine Protection glyph depending on the fight, but that seems to be all I change, mainly due to a lack of knowledge and research on individual glyph benefits per fight. Some links to further reading would be helpful if possible.

Again, with talents, I like Holy Avenger for some fights like Thok, Norushen where I can keep up SOTR for entire time I am tanking. However I feel I could be using something better on other fights, again if anyone has further information here I would be glad to read.

Gear wise I am using whatever I can my hands on, trinkets refuse to drop for me hence the rather poor items there.

Notes of improvement I have noticed whilst browsing WoL, my use of cool downs could be better, some fights I didn't use any which I know is bad form and my up time on Eternal Flame seems to vary between 70 and 95%.

I appreciate any constructive criticism and advice you can give.

Quote Originally Posted by dazz456 View Post
    Hello there,

Again, with talents, I like Holy Avenger for some fights like Thok, Norushen where I can keep up SOTR for entire time I am tanking. However I feel I could be using something better on other fights, again if anyone has further information here I would be glad to read.
    Divine Purpose is the standard one, holy avenger is more specific - only personally use it on malk hc to solo tank p2 atm personaly.

Gear wise I am using whatever I can my hands on, trinkets refuse to drop for me hence the rather poor items there.

Notes of improvement I have noticed whilst browsing WoL, my use of cool downs could be better, some fights I didn't use any which I know is bad form and my up time on Eternal Flame seems to vary between 70 and 95%.
    Dat trinket :O
    Also if you can try get a hc kill of horridon in ToT or can get a few guildy's to go back quickly, chance at a spark of zandalar which my friend could serve you for a long time ^^
    If your going 4set which i assume you are EF uptime wont be a issue, one of things ive started doing resently is using EF on 3bastions with 4set to try game the dinive purpose. Which should give u more or less keep ef on you the whole fight.

Far as i see your gearing right although your just behind cap with hit and expertise, i always get these done first for HoPo gen.
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

I appreciate any constructive criticism and advice you can give.
    Just check out your rotation, on some fights like Malkorok you used more J than CS, that's a sign that things aren't as they should be. Your EF uptime seems fine, what you really need to do though is use divine protection on cooldown (unless you are saving it for something specific) - It's a short CD and the 2 piece gives you a decent HoT.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Your EF uptime seems fine
    May I disagree?
    On Iron Juggernaut. The druid tank start tanking, but during that time he did use EF on himself, waste of HoPo. artificial making higher overhealing.
    On malkorok he only uses twice a 5 stack BoG EF and 3 times a 3 stack BoG of the 11 he cast in a 4 min 40 fight. He is even using a EF with NO stack of BoG. On Galakras he uses more EF than SotR. Immerseus same, Fallen protectors same thing, norushan again.
    He could do much more healing with less uptime if he's EF wisely and using SotR more often.

Which brings me on the next issues. That is even more important than his rotation or EF uptime: HoPo usage. Again on Malakorok, you used 19 time SotR, 57 HoPo consumed, and 11 EF, maximum of 33 HoPo consumed. For a grant total of maximum consumed HoPo of 90. you get 70 from CS and almost the same amount from J. you could almost double your SotR up time on the fight. And get a decent uptime of it. Galakras same issue, I fear other bosses just the same.
    You can improve your CS and J usage all you want, but if you are still overcapping HoPo. Improving it is just a wast of time. If he would learn to spend HoPo faster and better he can get major improvements. You should use SotR if the boss is doing a big physical attack, the encounter demands it, you have just taunted the boss from your co-tank, you have 5 HoPo and CS or J is almost off CD. EF comes into the picture here, making it a bit harder to judge correctly. My rule of thumb with using EF is. firstly only use it when I drop in health, secondly use with the highest amount of BoG stacks possible, thirdly with as much vengeance as possible. A small gap of between when it falls of and you reapply it, isn't a big problem. With a reasonable amount of vengeance a 5 stack BoG will be more than enough to outheal any damage you take between the gap.

Gearing: Beside trinkets. Replace Stuff of Nightmares with Ghost Iron dragonling, As it would give you 3% more haste if you also place hit and exp gems into it.
    He has the achievement for the epic cloak, but he is not using any of them. Nor the legendary meta gem.