10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if this is the correct spot for this. I am not asking for help with reforging or gems or anything just wondering if i can switch to tank from ret with my current gear. Thanks,

Hey everyone, i have a quick question. My guild is looking for more tanks, im currently speced ret and would like to help out. Would it be possible wth my current ret gear to turn it into a tank set? I need to get a wep.sheild first still. I would only be tanking LFR/flex.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kadin/advanced

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Wrak

I have not re gemmed or enchanted anything yet, i want to know if it would be viable to change now before I change
    I have access to Lao-Chin's Liquid Courage

Wrak: The answer to that question, in this expansion, will always be, as long as you're gearing properly for one spec, you can readily switch specs (though you will need a new weapon, and possibly trinkets). Prot and ret share the same stat priority (haste > mastery > crit), prot prefers a bit more expertise (up to 15%, vs 7.5% for ret).

Taking a look at your gear specifically, I mean, you have a lot of excess hit (but I see you're reforged out of as much as you can), and your haste is low (for prot you'll want pure haste gems and ignore socket bonuses, and that might be true for ret as well anyways), but gems and higher ilvl gear will help there.
    Definitely grab the Lao-Chin's trinket, it'll be better than the crit stacking trinket.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    @rhandric Thanks for the input. Once i can get my hands on a 1h and sheild i will convert over.

Thanks again

I have a quick question about SoR usage with DP procs. Do you prioritize CS > SoR DP, or do you prioritize SoR with a string of DP procs?

Quote Originally Posted by Strohm View Post
    I have a quick question about SoR usage with DP procs. Do you prioritize CS > SoR DP, or do you prioritize SoR with a string of DP procs?
    SotR is off the global cooldown so Crusader Strike and SotR don't have to fight for priority, hit both. I guess if you're at 5 HoPo and a DP proc then there's little point hitting CS and I'd dump the DP proc(s) first.

Lackluster - That's what I was thinking, but I'm trying to increase my CS/J ratio and hadn't thought through it before. I usually hammered off the SoR for the DPS increase, but I realized that might not be optimal. Thanks for the response!

Just saw this thread for the first time, and it opened my eyes to a lot of things. Since I can't post links yet my character is WIlliamhmacy on Lightbringer.

I decided I am going to give the crit build a try, before reading this thread I think I had like 30% mastery, and 53% haste. Not very optimal from what I can tell. I have rarely used the 4piece, tank cloak, or tank meta since I was mainly focused on pumping out numbers. I am making the tank gem and cloak part of my main set for progression, but I only have 1 piece of heroic for the set, the chest, which I got today and the rest is normal, my main question is if it would be ok to continue to use the ret tanking gear over switching to 4p? I was trying out the 4p earlier and it just seems like the loss of haste just make it seem like my rotation was off.

Also thanks for the glyph and talent explanation previously I had been mainly using ES on all fights without adds, and I concretely stuck with AS, DP, and Alabaster's as my glyphs about 90% of the time. Our progression fight tonight is dark shaman so I am interested in seeing how all of this plays out.

A dark shaman question, did anyone ever think about using Sacred Shield on this fight if they were up tanking harrom. Our healer seems to be having issues with toxic mist ticks, I am using hand of purity with about 4-5 secs left to mitigate the final 2 ticks, but it still seems like its not enough when we get in the 40% range. I was wondering if anyone was using SS at all versus EF on any of the fights.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzbar View Post
    Just saw this thread for the first time, and it opened my eyes to a lot of things. Since I can't post links yet my character is WIlliamhmacy on Lightbringer.

I decided I am going to give the crit build a try, before reading this thread I think I had like 30% mastery, and 53% haste. Not very optimal from what I can tell. I have rarely used the 4piece, tank cloak, or tank meta since I was mainly focused on pumping out numbers. I am making the tank gem and cloak part of my main set for progression, but I only have 1 piece of heroic for the set, the chest, which I got today and the rest is normal, my main question is if it would be ok to continue to use the ret tanking gear over switching to 4p? I was trying out the 4p earlier and it just seems like the loss of haste just make it seem like my rotation was off.

Also thanks for the glyph and talent explanation previously I had been mainly using ES on all fights without adds, and I concretely stuck with AS, DP, and Alabaster's as my glyphs about 90% of the time. Our progression fight tonight is dark shaman so I am interested in seeing how all of this plays out.

A dark shaman question, did anyone ever think about using Sacred Shield on this fight if they were up tanking harrom. Our healer seems to be having issues with toxic mist ticks, I am using hand of purity with about 4-5 secs left to mitigate the final 2 ticks, but it still seems like its not enough when we get in the 40% range. I was wondering if anyone was using SS at all versus EF on any of the fights.
    Not worth it. EF will keep you alive, you don't really need a healer there. He's mostly up there to keep himself alive. I would not suggest HoPurity over reduced CD. Don't forget it means you can bubble twice as often (this clears your cloak debuff so it can proc again much sooner). If your healers are having trouble throw EF on them.

I can't see using SS like ever. I'm not sure if you're having trouble staying alive or if you're thinking of using SS to keep other players up. In either case EF will provide more benefit; when off-tanking up there I spend most of my HP healing others with EF.

BTW not sure how long you've been in that guild but I remember Persevere from my old server Tanaris.
    Last edited by trystero; 2014-02-01 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trystero View Post
    I can't see using SS like ever. I'm not sure if you're having trouble staying alive or if you're thinking of using SS to keep other players up. In either case EF will provide more benefit; when off-tanking up there I spend most of my HP healing others with EF.

BTW not sure how long you've been in that guild but I remember Persevere from my old server Tanaris.
    I am not having any issue staying alive, the 5th stack does hit like a truck but I am managing through it. The main issue is I just wanted to be more supportive to the healer, she seems to be having issues around 40-50% with just all the damage that stacks up together at that point.

I only joined about last month, but its a nice group. It will be really good once we get a full consistent roster. We've had to pug 2-3 people each week since I got here but we still make decent progress.

Quote Originally Posted by zanzbar View Post
    I am not having any issue staying alive, the 5th stack does hit like a truck but I am managing through it. The main issue is I just wanted to be more supportive to the healer, she seems to be having issues around 40-50% with just all the damage that stacks up together at that point.

I only joined about last month, but its a nice group. It will be really good once we get a full consistent roster. We've had to pug 2-3 people each week since I got here but we still make decent progress.
    You'd be best off throwing an EF on the healer when you have high vengeance. Carry on throwing purity on her with ~6 seconds left and if she gets foul stream you can sac her if stacks of mist are high. You also have devo aura for falling ash but you will get 5-6 of them so just play it by ear and use it when things look hairy.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just know getting back on my pally to tank for some friends in a casual 2 night raid team. Only 533il currently but think I'm fine minus a few random spikes here and there. But anyways, anything I can change to be more consistent to heal?

I'm not having issues staying alive, just feel like it could be better.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...pally/advanced
    http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...w#type=summary

Yes I know I don't have the meta and cloak. That's huge but oh well. Like I said this alt is casual and not my main by any means.

Question, why do all prot pala's use stam chest enchant?
    Glorious stats (although still crap) actually adds something in a raid, can't help feel that stam is just a waste as we don't need a high health pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Brummie View Post
    Question, why do all prot pala's use stam chest enchant?
    Glorious stats (although still crap) actually adds something in a raid, can't help feel that stam is just a waste as we don't need a high health pool.
    220 stam > 80 str. That's why...

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    220 stam > 80 str. That's why...
    220 stam equals a 2200 contribution to a health pool of 700k-900k, i ask again the benefit of this?
    And it's all stats, not just strength.

Deleted
    220 stam equals a 2200 contribution to a health pool of 700k-900k, i ask again the benefit of this?
    80 agility: A miniscule amount of melee crit
    80 int: A miniscule amount of spell crit
    80 spirit: a miniscule amount of mana regen Out of combat
    80 str: 160 AP or 80 Sp, which is tiny considering how large vengenace gets.
    80 stam

220 stam > 80 stam

It's intellect, str, stam, agility and spirit. It should be obvious why more stam is preferable since none of the other stats are worth much at all.

With even the lowest amount of vengeance the +Str is completely useless; the only bonus is the +Agi and the amount of critrating that you get from 80 Agi is negligible.

The stamina will be there forever though.

220*1.25 (prot passive +25% stam)*1.05(5% stamina plate spec bonus)*15 (15 hp per 1 stamina)*1.1 (10% health buff) = 4764 hp raid buffed from 220 stamina.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickwickman View Post
    With even the lowest amount of vengeance the +Str is completely useless; the only bonus is the +Agi and the amount of critrating that you get from 80 Agi is negligible.

The stamina will be there forever though.
    The +str is worth more dps than the +agi, even so. 300 stamina any day over 80 stats.