Deleted
    Brought my alt pally along to main raid for the first time this week as I'm planning on moving to it for Warlords. Haven't Pally tanked in 25m so was worried as shit regarding it. Currently sitting on no meta/cloak (final Gaze of the Black Prince drops when I'm on the Test Of Valor), but was wondering if there's anyone who'd be willing to have a quick check at the logs from the few fights I was in. I didn't fall over dead with every melee hit but I'd like to know if there's anything I'm doing glaringly wrong.

Link to Armory is http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...sumea/advanced . I've had pretty shitty luck with gear so far.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...urce=7&fight=4 - Protectors

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...rce=7&fight=11 - Sha of Pride

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...rce=7&fight=13 - Galakras (lol what is paladin AOE)

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...rce=7&fight=15 - Iron Juggernaut

Deleted
    You weren't kidding when you said you had shit luck with gear, huh? :O

Anyway, apart from spending most of the Iron Juggernaut fight in SoR for no apparent reason (never leave SoI pls nevernevernevernever - literally never worth it unless you are Lazel trying to pull off some next-level backwards 420YOLO whoring strat) it looks pretty much impeccable.

But then, if your PR sig is to be believed, that's literally the least surprising thing I've seen this week.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PraisetheSun View Post
    You weren't kidding when you said you had shit luck with gear, huh? :O

Anyway, apart from spending most of the Iron Juggernaut fight in SoR for no apparent reason (never leave SoI pls nevernevernevernever - literally never worth it unless you are Lazel trying to pull off some next-level backwards 420YOLO whoring strat) it looks pretty much impeccable.

But then, if your PR sig is to be believed, that's literally the least surprising thing I've seen this week.
    DUDE YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW PISSED I WAS AT THAT

Spent Galakras crying at lack of AoE threat with my gear level so started using SoR and then realised about halfway through our second Juggernaut pull that I forgot to change out of it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ebirah View Post
    DUDE YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW PISSED I WAS AT THAT

Spent Galakras crying at lack of AoE threat with my gear level so started using SoR and then realised about halfway through our second Juggernaut pull that I forgot to change out of it
    Paladins have terrible snap aggro, its just how it is at the moment. Changing from SoI won't help in the slightest. Try and time Light's Hammer or Consecration to help with aoe threat, or holy prism or w/e you're using. You have hunters and rouges in your team so call for MD or something. I have 588ilvl and still sometimes get out threat between waves when my equally geared dps press buttons. If you have no vengeance then you're not going to hold shit xD

Btw, Glyph of Hand of Sacrifice is never really needed for a prot paladin. No one is going to take that much damage that sac will even come close to harming you, and if you have put it on a tank who is taking damages, chances are that means you're not. Sac will only transfer 30% damage at a time. Your target would need to take his max hp in damage 3-4 times over for it to do its 100% max hp cap

Edit: Except maybe if your cotank is solo soaking Malk, he would probably take his max hp 3-4 times over in 12 seconds then
    Last edited by mmoc92b54dcdea; 2014-09-05 at 02:29 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wymarc View Post
    Paladins have terrible snap aggro, its just how it is at the moment. Changing from SoI won't help in the slightest. Try and time Light's Hammer or Consecration to help with aoe threat, or holy prism or w/e you're using. You have hunters and rouges in your team so call for MD or something. I have 588ilvl and still sometimes get out threat between waves when my equally geared dps press buttons. If you have no vengeance then you're not going to hold shit xD

Btw, Glyph of Hand of Sacrifice is never really needed for a prot paladin. No one is going to take that much damage that sac will even come close to harming you, and if you have put it on a tank who is taking damages, chances are that means you're not. Sac will only transfer 30% damage at a time. Your target would need to take his max hp in damage 3-4 times over for it to do its 100% max hp cap

Edit: Except maybe if your cotank is solo soaking Malk, he would probably take his max hp 3-4 times over in 12 seconds then
    Bolding mine: Doesn't work, yo. Light's Hammer is treated as a totem or something during threat calculations and generates exactly 0 aggro.

Other than that yeah, as Wymarc said, we have no snap aggro. If people go full mong and unload everything the second the mobs gain a threat table, they will pull shit off you and die, and it's their own goddamn fault. Scold them relentlessly.

Deleted
    Bolding mine: Doesn't work, yo. Light's Hammer is treated as a totem or something during threat calculations and generates exactly 0 aggro.
    Really? I didn't know that.

And yeah, dat snap aggro. Run into mobs, HoR/Cons/HW or whatever I use, then my cotank BrM comes along... roflkeksmash and runs off with all the adds

Edit: Are you 100% sure it doesnt generate threat? I just tried it on a crappy yellow mob outside Shrine and it seemed to do so according to my omen. Even when it was placed so it wasnt healing me and it was just damaging him ;o
    Last edited by mmoc92b54dcdea; 2014-09-05 at 06:25 AM.

LH generates threat as long as you are on the mob's threat list when it is cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    LH generates threat as long as you are on the mob's threat list when it is cast.
    Can confirm, stack LH with cons or HW -> win

Deleted
    Good, you saved me from going insane! Here I was thinking if I have gone complete retard and forgotten the basics. I might not have tanked actively for 10 months, but my memory served me to say that LH worked as you said but did not want to make a fool out of myself by stating it without testing it again

I mean, for as long as I remember I used LH for threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Good, you saved me from going insane! Here I was thinking if I have gone complete retard and forgotten the basics. I might not have tanked actively for 10 months, but my memory served me to say that LH worked as you said but did not want to make a fool out of myself by stating it without testing it again

I mean, for as long as I remember I used LH for threat.
    Yeah, you just can't throw it down before the mobs spawn because they'll just run through it.

Deleted
    Yeah, you just can't throw it down before the mobs spawn because they'll just run through it.
    Yeah, this is what I meant. LH doesn't work as a snap aggro tool but will keep anything you've already got threat on glued to you.

The issue is that you can't just throw it down on Galakras for a pack of adds or throw it down on the Thok bats because they'll just stroll through it without giving a fuck. Low-vengeance aggro management as prot is an absolute fucking nightmare compared to lolmonks or lolwarriors.

Deleted

So how should I be going about keeping threat in AOE situations? Do I drop Consecration and THEN Lights Hammer? I just can never keep threat in an AoE situation but I'm guessing that's just Pally life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ebirah View Post
    So how should I be going about keeping threat in AOE situations? Do I drop Consecration and THEN Lights Hammer? I just can never keep threat in an AoE situation but I'm guessing that's just Pally life.
    That's pally life. HoR/AS/Cons/HW, tab through targets with AS/Judge to try and get it to bounce to different targets, beg for a MD

OR

Let them die so they learn to wait a second for you to get vengeance
    Last edited by mmoc92b54dcdea; 2014-09-05 at 08:36 PM.

Deleted
    That's pally life. HoR/AS/Cons/HW, tab through targets with AS/Judge to try and get it to bounce to different targets, beg for a MD
    ... and most importantly, call out DPS that are too stupid to obey the "tank is a paladin, give him 3 seconds to actually grab threat before you jizz your pants" rule. We used to have an issue with it on certain fights in my guild, but it's more or less stopped ever since I started publicly shaming people who get themselves killed like that.

Yeah, this is what I meant. LH doesn't work as a snap aggro tool but will keep anything you've already got threat on glued to you.

The issue is that you can't just throw it down on Galakras for a pack of adds or throw it down on the Thok bats because they'll just stroll through it without giving a fuck. Low-vengeance aggro management as prot is an absolute fucking nightmare compared to lolmonks or lolwarriors.
    Just stack it with cons and cons tick will put you on threat meter, and LH will actually do agro.

P.S. Healing agro is OP, on Thok, pre-bats put a few EFs on raid members --> OP threat

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    Just stack it with cons and cons tick will put you on threat meter, and LH will actually do agro.

P.S. Healing agro is OP, on Thok, pre-bats put a few EFs on raid members --> OP threat
    I actually tank the boss on that part and they all come flocking to me xD

Deleted
    I actually tank the boss on that part and they all come flocking to me xD
    We just have our monk put the statue right underneath my ass (on the rare occasion where I have to stand in for our regular tanks, as I'm main-spec Ret atm) or have our warrior use Mocking Banner and the bats forget all about me.

Still, EF healing aggro is pretty hilarious. Died more than once doing Dark Animus in 5.4 and forgetting to switch to SS before pulling - "Eyyyy y I am tank 20 golem blizz fix pls"

^

Omg this, so much this, those little shits hurt

Deleted
    We just have our monk put the statue right underneath my ass (on the rare occasion where I have to stand in for our regular tanks, as I'm main-spec Ret atm) or have our warrior use Mocking Banner and the bats forget all about me.

Still, EF healing aggro is pretty hilarious. Died more than once doing Dark Animus in 5.4 and forgetting to switch to SS before pulling - "Eyyyy y I am tank 20 golem blizz fix pls"
    I used to have the same problem on Garrosh before they patched it, I remember someone said it was like a sha pheromone party

Deleted
    I used to have the same problem on Garrosh before they patched it, I remember someone said it was like a sha pheromone party
    I once made the mistake of turning RF back on during P3 after a whirl. Queue 10-15 seconds of successful monk kite before the Sha adds collectively went "ayy lmao fuck this guy and his barrels lets eat the shiny pink idiot".