Deleted
    It all depends on your raid group. Nothing is right or wrong.

BH will do a lot of healing because you got increased damage on horridon. But your dps glyphs will also do a lot of dps for the same reason.

A lot of those 10M healing is indirectly overhealing on a fight that is so bursty in damage as Horridon is.

When i was using it, i was only doing 1m healing with BH (4th gate)... It really isnt needed unless the healers are slacking OR raids taking way too much dmg.
    Holy prism does a ton of healing if used right, time it with dire call to heal everyone to 80%-100%.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was called on last night to tank for my 10-man raid. I just recently have picked up Prot and have been reading this thread, working through LFR, etc, to learn how to play it. Keep in mind I currently don't have a full set of gear I can gem/enchant/reforge for Prot, so the pieces I share with my Ret set are still optimized for Ret. This gives some imbalance for hit/exp and so forth.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aling/advanced
    Meg: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/k...?s=1204&e=1627
    Ji-Kun: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/k...?s=3519&e=3971
    Durumu: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/k...?s=5310&e=5733
    Primordius: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/k...?s=6677&e=7057
    Dark Animus: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/k...?s=9300&e=9566

I think my SS up time is good, but think my SotR needs to be better and better timed with boss abilities. I also think my CD usage isn't very good. What else can I do better as I learn to play Prot?

Also, I realize my weapon/shield suck, it's all I could get via the AH. I'm hoping my DPS improves once I get a better weapon.
    Last edited by Jaling; 2013-05-27 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaling View Post
    I was called on last night to tank for my 10-man raid. I just recently have picked up Prot and have been reading this thread, working through LFR, etc, to learn how to play it. Keep in mind I currently don't have a full set of gear I can gem/enchant/reforge for Prot, so the pieces I share with my Ret set are still optimized for Ret. This gives some imbalance for hit/exp and so forth.

I think my SS up time is good, but think my SotR needs to be better and better timed with boss abilities. I also think my CD usage isn't very good. What else can I do better as I learn to play Prot?

Also, I realize my weapon/shield suck, it's all I could get via the AH. I'm hoping my DPS improves once I get a better weapon.
    I only checked Ji-kun. Use your CD's more.
    DP was never used. Talent hand of purity, it helps for the stacking bleed or soaking pools if not tanking. No GoaK, AW used once in a 7 minute fight etc. Otherwise looks good, I'll let the others nitpick the rotation! It already looks like you've put thought into talent choices for fights but I have a lot of fun trying to snipe heals with holy prism etc on a caw / quills / *inset boss ability*. With vengeance its pretty uber.

Another thing you can do is consider your utility, throw your ss on your tank buddy after a swop, HoP a healer during quills (or someone who drops low) or just before a quake stomp. The utility is pretty powerful.

Tbh I'm pretty jelly, took me ages to become half competant as a prot and you seem to be past there already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    I only checked Ji-kun. Use your CD's more.
    DP was never used. Talent hand of purity, it helps for the stacking bleed or soaking pools if not tanking. No GoaK, AW used once in a 7 minute fight etc. Otherwise looks good, I'll let the others nitpick the rotation! It already looks like you've put thought into talent choices for fights but I have a lot of fun trying to snipe heals with holy prism etc on a caw / quills / *inset boss ability*. With vengeance its pretty uber.

Another thing you can do is consider your utility, throw your ss on your tank buddy after a swop, HoP a healer during quills (or someone who drops low) or just before a quake stomp. The utility is pretty powerful.

Tbh I'm pretty jelly, took me ages to become half competant as a prot and you seem to be past there already.
    Thanks a lot, I definitely need for my CD's to soak in to learn when and why to use them. I went back in tonight and continued tanking for Iron Qon, Twins, and Lei Shen. We wiped on Lei Shen once but everything else was smooth. In fact, on Iron Qon our main tank died on the tornado transition and I ended up solo tanking the rest of the way, giving my team some confidence I think. Was pretty cool.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if I should stick with a haste/mastery build, or if the new-ish stat weights with haste/stam are the better way to go. One of our current tanks might be away for awhile, so I may need to step in and tank primarily.
    Last edited by Jaling; 2013-05-28 at 02:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey Guys,

short questions regarding Twins HC. I'm solo tanking boss+beast+add - our Monk tank is handling suen in P1.
    I'm trying to optimize my Damage on Lulin in P1.

What's your playstyle here? Glyphs? CD Management?

I'm currently going with AS/FS/BH and FW. My Focus lies on finishing the Beasts fast and then focus on the Boss.
    I don't wanna waste any Damage on the Adds and rather put it on the Boss instead. Only cleave I do is HoTR and Consecration on the adds.
    Our Raid usually does no Damage on the Adds - 1-2 WL/Shadow for some extra proccs. I'm trying to maximize the Add Uptime so I have higher levels of Vengeance.
    There are hard spikes nevertheless when I tank 10+ Adds and the Beast is up. I use Cons/HoTR to eventually kill some, so I don't have 20+ up (which will prolly gib me?)

How are you guys using your cooldowns here? HA at pull for maximized damage? Or at the first beast phase? (will lose one HA then in P1 though).

I'll then take Suen at the beginning of P2 while tanking the remaining 10+ Adds for 2 Stacks. (our offtank couldn't keep aggro anyways, rocking about 250k Vengeance at this point)
    After that we switch at 2 stacks, always using DP for the 2nd stack.

I usually don't have trouble surviving. Only two rocky situations. P1 when I have Beast + 10+ adds and P2 when RNG gibs me (1st stack for which I dont have a cd, aoe tick, light of day or stuff like that). Only happened twice in 40 tries though.

Do you have some tips? Anything to improve?

Another thing:

HP oder LH? HP allows me to heal up after barrage (if it heals the right person though.. not sure how HP chooses its heal targets... doesn't look that intelligent to me...)
    LH can be used every other Nuklear? Combined with our 2nd Pally, we would have LH for every Nuclear. Probably better?
    Last edited by Riemu2k3; 2013-05-28 at 10:11 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaling View Post

Looking at Ji-kun and durumu, I think the main things you can improve on are:
    1) GCD usage - I estimate ~345 usable GCDs on Ji-kun and 299 used, and ~320 for Durumu and 284 used. It's reasonably good as it is but could be better
    2) CS usage was low on Ji-kun compared to J - under a 9 GCD cycle, you should expect 3 CS and 2 J per cycle, and so CS usage ~~ 1.5x J, but yours were 85 CS : 70 J. Assuming you should have got in ~33 cycle with 299 GCDs, CS should be closer to 100+. This was better on Durumu.
    3) SotR uptime is quite low, only 28% on Ji-kun and 35% on Durumu. Granted you're not tanking all the time so that may work out to be ok uptime when needed, but it's still low. Main cause seems to be wasted/lost HP - you gained 193 HP on Ji-kun, but only used 40 SotR and 10 WoGs, only 150 HP worth, which is quite a big loss. This was better on Durumu (186 : 174), but again still some wasted. I also don't think you need to use that many WoGs, especially as the average heal was only ~90k on Ji-kun, which is less than having SotR up for one melee hit.
    4) SotR timing could be better. Looking at Durumu, of the 13 hard stares you took, only 4 had SotR up, and on Ji-kun of the 8 talon rakes you had SotR up for 4 (and 2 of the ones you missed were second stack talon rakes which are even more important to hit)
    5) Cooldown usages, but Deja has already covered that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahenar View Post
    Looking at Ji-kun and durumu, I think the main things you can improve on are:
    1) GCD usage - I estimate ~345 usable GCDs on Ji-kun and 299 used, and ~320 for Durumu and 284 used. It's reasonably good as it is but could be better
    2) CS usage was low on Ji-kun compared to J - under a 9 GCD cycle, you should expect 3 CS and 2 J per cycle, and so CS usage ~~ 1.5x J, but yours were 85 CS : 70 J. Assuming you should have got in ~33 cycle with 299 GCDs, CS should be closer to 100+. This was better on Durumu.
    3) SotR uptime is quite low, only 28% on Ji-kun and 35% on Durumu. Granted you're not tanking all the time so that may work out to be ok uptime when needed, but it's still low. Main cause seems to be wasted/lost HP - you gained 193 HP on Ji-kun, but only used 40 SotR and 10 WoGs, only 150 HP worth, which is quite a big loss. This was better on Durumu (186 : 174), but again still some wasted. I also don't think you need to use that many WoGs, especially as the average heal was only ~90k on Ji-kun, which is less than having SotR up for one melee hit.
    4) SotR timing could be better. Looking at Durumu, of the 13 hard stares you took, only 4 had SotR up, and on Ji-kun of the 8 talon rakes you had SotR up for 4 (and 2 of the ones you missed were second stack talon rakes which are even more important to hit)
    5) Cooldown usages, but Deja has already covered that.
    Wow, great feedback, thank you for taking such a deep look into it. I definitely haven't thought about tanking like that yet, but it gives me plenty to work towards.

I've been wondering about SotR and had a question about it. As you mentioned, if I'm not tanking at the moment, there doesn't appear to be a reason to focus any attention on using SotR. I think sometimes I cast SotR even though in my mind I'm thinking it's not necessary. I suppose when I'm in that situation, I would better serve the raid to focus on my DPS and raid utility (SS on active tank, Sac, etc?). This also gets me because in that scenario I'll sit at 5 HoPo and that just goes against my nature as a Ret. I guess there I could use WoG on the active tank, is there another way to utilize my HoPo while I'm not the active tank?

Regarding SotR timing, I've really noticed that over the last two nights. I think it's because I'm simply not familiar with the fights from a tank's perspective, so I'm not anticipating when an ability like Hard Stare or Talon Rake will land. Time and experience will help, but it will be a focus of mine for sure.

Deleted
    SotR still deals damage. That is more than enough reason to cast it even when not tanking.

I think you should work on the issues in the following order.

1. Time SotR with boss abilities
    2. Use CDs for dangerous boss abilities
    3. Work on your rotation
    4. Work on your GCD usage. (no dead time)
    5. Raid utility, help raids with your support spells
    6. Min-maxing

Try to focus on one part at the time. That is my opinion what is the most important things to work on. Once you mastered one move on to the next.
    Dont try to work on everything at the same time, just gonna become a mess then.

Quote Originally Posted by Riemu2k3 View Post
    Hey Guys,

short questions regarding Twins HC. I'm solo tanking boss+beast+add - our Monk tank is handling suen in P1.

I'm currently going with AS/FS/BH and FW. My Focus lies on finishing the Beasts fast and then focus on the Boss.
    I don't wanna waste any Damage on the Adds and rather put it on the Boss instead. Only cleave I do is HoTR and Consecration on the adds.
    Our Raid usually does no Damage on the Adds - 1-2 WL/Shadow for some extra proccs. I'm trying to maximize the Add Uptime so I have higher levels of Vengeance.
    There are hard spikes nevertheless when I tank 10+ Adds and the Beast is up. I use Cons/HoTR to eventually kill some, so I don't have 20+ up (which will prolly gib me?)
    We use me solo tanking and a BrM on the other chick too. I don't use FS here, simply because the passive cleave in phase 1 (and last phase) is super helpful. I use BH/Alab/Final Wrath, and here's why. FS gives 30% more dmg on AS, which is great, but means you can't hit both beast and boss, as well as free bounces to Lurkers. We also put bosses together-ish in last phase, for more cleaves there. Additionally, the real "crux" of the fight is the final phase getting Fire chick dead, and FW making HW hit 50% harder there is great. I don't focus AOE on the little guys, but Cons/HotR usually knocks em out at a good pace.

How are you guys using your cooldowns here? HA at pull for maximized damage? Or at the first beast phase? (will lose one HA then in P1 though).

I'll then take Suen at the beginning of P2 while tanking the remaining 10+ Adds for 2 Stacks. (our offtank couldn't keep aggro anyways, rocking about 250k Vengeance at this point)

I usually don't have trouble surviving. Only two rocky situations. P1 when I have Beast + 10+ adds and P2 when RNG gibs me (1st stack for which I dont have a cd, aoe tick, light of day or stuff like that). Only happened twice in 40 tries though.
    Wings/HA on pull. DivProt during crashes. No other CDs in phase 1. Wings/HA again at phase 2 start (with lust), when you grab Fire chick. Can pop GoAK here, but it's pretty overkill. The 3rd beast should be dead before you pick up Fire chick, but can ride the little ones for Veng. We use cranes here, but YMMV. After that, just use DivProt when you're about to get 2 stacks, and keep her near comets. Use Devo based on raid CD rotation for Nuclears. Really, their damage (on tanks) is paltry.

Another thing:

HP oder LH? HP allows me to heal up after barrage (if it heals the right person though.. not sure how HP chooses its heal targets... doesn't look that intelligent to me...)
    LH can be used every other Nuklear? Combined with our 2nd Pally, we would have LH for every Nuclear. Probably better?
    I personally use HPrism, to help heal up after crashes/tidal forces/whatever. LH is OK I guess, but you can only get it every other Nuclear, which is pretty weak. Hell, you can even just stand in the open and heal through nuclear, so getting a CD for THAT seems a bit overkill. Not to mention that you can't really use it any other time in the fight, due to people needing to be spread out (which is an issue you won't have with Prism) and the fact that it ticks slowly vs. the burst of Prism.

My $0.02 anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Riemu2k3 View Post
    Hey Guys,

Another thing:

As for beast I tend to use Holy Avenger 5 seconds before the first one spawns for some stacks of SotR and extra nuke, then, whenever it's up on the 3rd one. Divine prot on first stack in p2, bigger CD on second. Tanking Lu'lin in last phase, just take her to one of the very corners of the room when she's about to cast Tidal Force (preferably furthest from Suen at given point). I'm running with Execution Sentence as well. The fight overall is quite simple, I think 3rd phase with both of them up might be bit tricky but that's all there is to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    You can use HA on every door.
    1) On pull (with wings)
    2) On (or right around) the first dire call
    3) Right after dire call (with wings)
    4) Right after he returns from the door

If you do that, you will then have HA/Wings up a few seconds before Jalak drops in. I don't use GoAK/AD on any of the doors, unless something goes really wrong, so they're both up (for me) at the end. I use [glyphed] DivProt on CD pretty much (UbS for this fight!), as it's great to cover a Melee/Call/TP combo (with ShotR, ofc).
    Our guild finally downed HC Horridon last night. Probably one of the most fun fights I've tanked so far since I couldn't just faceroll and had to actually pay attention.

I used HA for our first ~30 attempts so that I could have an on-demand SoTR chain, but accidentally pulled without swapping out DP. I actually found DP to be really useful. I was a bit concerned with the RNG factor, but it just....worked. I doubt my using DP over HA was the determining factor in downing Horridon, but I'm slowly jumping off the HA bandwagon.

I by no means am trying to rope people into a talent that they don't like or that doesn't work for them. For me, personally, HA just functions better flat out, on a great many fights. BUT. I've been using it for so long, as an integral tool in my kit, that I feel a bit naked without it. Maybe it's the extra CD/on demand function. Maybe it's the "cruise control" ShotR for ~25-30 secs that allows me to focus on other stuff. Maybe it's the tradeoff of potential gains (higher) for guaranteed returns (lower). Maybe it's a bit of all of these.

Don't get me wrong, I think DP is great on a number of fights, and use it accordingly. But, for example, I swapped to DP for HC Lei Shen and immediately regretted it, given how I use HA to stack/stagger CDs based on the amount of "quick run to the other side of the goddamn room and outrange healers for ~10 seconds" that goes on. I've taken to using DP on Council, Tortos, and Primo, but everything else I just value HA too highly for some factor or another.

But thats the beauty of our talents; there is rarely ever a *right* answer (Sacred Shield), usually they are up for debate or personal preference or strat tailoring.

HA is just my security blanket, I guess.
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    But thats the beauty of our talents; there is rarely ever a *right* answer (Sacred Shield), usually they are up for debate or personal preference or strat tailoring.
    I think eternal flame was the best talent for garalon.

I by no means am trying to rope people into a talent that they don't like or that doesn't work for them. For me, personally, HA just functions better flat out, on a great many fights. BUT. I've been using it for so long, as an integral tool in my kit, that I feel a bit naked without it. Maybe it's the extra CD/on demand function. Maybe it's the "cruise control" ShotR for ~25-30 secs that allows me to focus on other stuff. Maybe it's the tradeoff of potential gains (higher) for guaranteed returns (lower). Maybe it's a bit of all of these.

Don't get me wrong, I think DP is great on a number of fights, and use it accordingly. But, for example, I swapped to DP for HC Lei Shen and immediately regretted it, given how I use HA to stack/stagger CDs based on the amount of "quick run to the other side of the goddamn room and outrange healers for ~10 seconds" that goes on. I've taken to using DP on Council, Tortos, and Primo, but everything else I just value HA too highly for some factor or another.

HA is just my security blanket, I guess.
    I absolutely agree with you, I was just making a statement about my experience. As helpful as this forum is, I realize that YMMV with different raid comps/playstyles/etc so I try not to take all advice as gospel. I use HA for Ret (seems necessary for PvP) and used HA as Prot for the majority of this tier. I previously dismissed DP entirely, and I think it was Firefly who had a few posts about DP that convinced me to at least try it out.

I'm swapping between the two for different fights (currently trying HA on H Tortos because I'm getting annoyed with Snapping Bites eating my absorb shield too early in the beginning of the fight), and despite the fact that I'm using DP more often now...I personally enjoy using HA more. Shield slams just feel so damn good.

Deleted
    Well, as I said earlier. I used to completely dismiss DP until I actually tried it in this tier. It was love at first sight. I am now using DP more than SW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...udist/advanced
    Worldoflogs Link: http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/14925/
    Questions, concerns, expectations: Just looking for suggestions on how to pump out more damage.
    Description of Playstyle: Typical Haste / Control build. Use AMR Haste / Control preset values with .9 mastery and low stamina.

Quote Originally Posted by paulleedot View Post
    I absolutely agree with you, I was just making a statement about my experience. As helpful as this forum is, I realize that YMMV with different raid comps/playstyles/etc so I try not to take all advice as gospel. I use HA for Ret (seems necessary for PvP) and used HA as Prot for the majority of this tier. I previously dismissed DP entirely, and I think it was Firefly who had a few posts about DP that convinced me to at least try it out.

I'm swapping between the two for different fights (currently trying HA on H Tortos because I'm getting annoyed with Snapping Bites eating my absorb shield too early in the beginning of the fight), and despite the fact that I'm using DP more often now...I personally enjoy using HA more. Shield slams just feel so damn good.
    A neat trick for Tortos (as this is one fight that I swear by DP on, ironically) is to pop GoAK or Glyphed DP/AD at the start (not like you really need them later, ever, if you play right), build up 1-2 bastion stacks. Then, get 2+ HoPo, focus judge your crystal to get shield started (do this NOT right before a Snap). Then, 3HoPo WOG and/or Healthstone and POOF, insta capped shield.

Then, just sit back, relax, and let the monk carry you to victory.

Edit: another nice thing about HA is the fact that you can, as you said, spam ShotR's back to back for ~20 seconds. Aside from the obvious benefit for us, doing this with BH glyphed also yields some nice burst healing on the raid. Even after the nerf, 20% of those 300k+ shield slams is no small amount.
    Last edited by Nairobi; 2013-05-29 at 03:54 PM.
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Still have yet to use anything other then HA for my sins. I blame my old age and stubbornness to learn new things.
    Although I did try holy prism last week for the first time! Quite like it actually

A neat trick for Tortos (as this is one fight that I swear by DP on, ironically) is to pop GoAK or Glyphed DP/AD at the start (not like you really need them later, ever, if you play right), build up 1-2 bastion stacks. Then, get 2+ HoPo, focus judge your crystal to get shield started (do this NOT right before a Snap). Then, 3HoPo WOG and/or Healthstone and POOF, insta capped shield.

Then, just sit back, relax, and let the monk carry you to victory.

Edit: another nice thing about HA is the fact that you can, as you said, spam ShotR's back to back for ~20 seconds. Aside from the obvious benefit for us, doing this with BH glyphed also yields some nice burst healing on the raid. Even after the nerf, 20% of those 300k+ shield slams is no small amount.
    Ahh, that's a good idea. I was trying to do something similar but didn't pop a defensive along with it. I'm sure the healers will thank me. My guild wants me to try one tanking it, but I honestly don't think it's necessary. Seems like more trouble than it's worth.