Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Aid organizations, dirty businesses?

Aid the women! Assist the poor! feed a child and start a school! Free a kitten! Help that dog! Kony's missing, help him too!

These are just a few campaigns on TV commercials right now, all different organizations asking for money to assist one region of our planet.
    It's fine, very kind of them raising money for a noble cause. However, something I don't like is the new trend to show uncensored footage of dead children, men who's decapitating dogs, facilities who strangle kittens and war footage of mutilated women on prime time television!
    The only thing this accomplishes is to grow hatred for this region and it's people. It's obviously a very corrupt and evil place.

Something else that is very curious is how these people and animals aren't helped yet? Fundraising for this region has been going on for over 40 years now, that's A LOT of money and well enough to end starvation, cure aids, build a megatropolis and send Kunta kinte to the moon and back.
    So, what do they have to show for over 40 years of world wide fundraising and trillions upon trillions of dollars? Bascially THIS!

These people are obviously not getting helped by our money and we keep getting milked for more. Something fishy is going on for sure.
    Isn't it time to change tactic and roll in the tanks and overthrow something soon? Because I'm growing pretty tired of these commercials..

Edit: I don't have to say that I'm talking about Africa, you probably figured that out seconds after opening the thread.

Deleted
    I refuse to send money to any charity that tries to guilt trip me, thats a dirty tactic and I boycott anyone using it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I refuse to send money to any charity that tries to guilt trip me, thats a dirty tactic and I boycott anyone using it.
    Isnt that pretty much all charity

Deleted
    well known that the majority of "AID" that is sent to places in need hardly get any of it. nothing to be surprised at all tbh.
    I honestly believe that we should stop all aid to counties that can not show where every single penny goes to, and that every single penny is spent on helping the people it is intended for and not some warlord.

Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    not everybody films sad cases and spams them on tv with sad music and celebrities. some have dignity

Deleted
    That's why donating money to a random charity isn't going to help, it's not that it doesn't help, but you just don't know what they are going to do with the money that you donated, with the money people donated.

That's why I don't donate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    Not all, there are many different ways to ask for charity than guilt trip people. heres an example....

Advertisement 1 shows starving children, all skin and bone, barely alive. Says you can help save their lives, guilt trips you into thinking you are responsible for their fate. These are the charities I boycott.

Advertisement 2 is more hopeful, shows people having a happy life with their new well/school/farming equipment etc. Says they can help even more people with your help, more optimistic about the future.

What really pisses me off is when they show dying people then say it is all down to bacteria in the water, JUST BOIL THE FUCKING WATER.

10+ Year Old Account
    I support three aid foundations: Red Cross, Amnesty International, and Red Heart Society. Those are the main three I trust (there are some others too, but I don't give money as regularly to those).

If you click the RHS-link, I apologize on their behalf for the english.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Less than half the money donated actually reaches it's target. Most of it goes for "operating costs".

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Yeah, and I always ask for numbers on how much actually goes to their cause. The numbers are often shockingly low.

Thread reminds of the song 'African Child' from Get Him To The Greek :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    well known that the majority of "AID" that is sent to places in need hardly get any of it. nothing to be surprised at all tbh.
    I honestly believe that we should stop all aid to counties that can not show where every single penny goes to, and that every single penny is spent on helping the people it is intended for and not some warlord.
    Very true, I'm not that surprised really. More like I'm genuinely curious to where the money goes to. I even attempted to look up how much money has been sent to Africa and other help organizations and that shit is more classified than US gov military files. You can barely find the charity founder's name even.

am i the only one annoyed by millionaires coming on tv and telling me i should give my money away? im all for charity, but coming from someone that makes insane money it just rubs me the wrong way

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    am i the only one annoyed by millionaires coming on tv and telling me i should give my money away? im all for charity, but coming from someone that makes insane money it just rubs me the wrong way
    Yeah, it really grinds my gears when a multi billionaire is asking us to donate, they could solve the entire problem with one big fat cheque.

Deleted
    Although, most of those millionaires gives millions upon million to charity each year, except Kardashian, no idea what she does on those charity commercials

Edit: Just googled it and found that Bill Gates has given over 28 billions to charity over the years, lols!
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2012-11-09 at 06:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    That's why donating money to a random charity isn't going to help, it's not that it doesn't help, but you just don't know what they are going to do with the money that you donated, with the money people donated.
    That's why I don't donate.
    I will happily donate my time and help a charity out in my local area, several of which have my contact details as a volunteer if they need help. However I draw the line at donating money to charities that are not going to be helping people in the country.

The way I see it there are several great charities in the UK for UK people in need. There is the likes of the NSPCC, Help for heroes and Shelter all of which are to me a thousand times more important due to them helping my fellow country man, than helping some random starving people in a country that I will never visit. Charity should and must begin at home, home in this case is your own country. I really do not see why we (as the public) should be donating millions of pounds per year on aid to other countires, when that money could make a huge amount of difference to people in this country and we can see where it goes to, and not watch it vanish into someones pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    Although, most of those millionaires gives millions upon million to charity each year, except Kardashian, no idea what she does on those charity commercials

Edit: Just googled it and found that Bill Gates has given over 28 billions to charity over the years, lols!
    but neither of those people come on tv telling me it would cost less than a cup of coffee a day... after math it adds up to a few hundred dollars a year. im not exactly living the highlife over here, making ends meet is tough already

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    I will happily donate my time and help a charity out in my local area, several of which have my contact details as a volunteer if they need help. However I draw the line at donating money to charities that are not going to be helping people in the country.

The way I see it there are several great charities in the UK for UK people in need. There is the likes of the NSPCC, Help for heroes and Shelter all of which are to me a thousand times more important due to them helping my fellow country man, than helping some random starving people in a country that I will never visit. Charity should and must begin at home, home in this case is your own country. I really do not see why we (as the public) should be donating millions of pounds per year on aid to other countires, when that money could make a huge amount of difference to people in this country and we can see where it goes to, and not watch it vanish into someones pocket.
    I agree. If people want to donate money, donate it to your country's organizations. Everyone should put home in first place.

As for donating, yes, there's more than just donating money. Donating your time and effort is something I would most definitely do to help an organization. Sadly, I don't do that. :/

Deleted
    but neither of those people come on tv telling me it would cost less than a cup of coffee a day... after math it adds up to a few hundred dollars a year. im not exactly living the highlife over here, making ends meet is tough already
    I agree with what both you and Siggma are saying. We should help ourselves before attempting to help others. We have regions in civilized, modern society where living standards are similar or just as poor as they are down in Africa, those are not being helped as much though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    I agree with what both you and Siggma are saying. We should help ourselves before attempting to help others. We have regions in civilized, modern society where living standards are similar or just as poor as they are down in Africa, those are not being helped as much though.
    basically, my objection is along the line of rich's. i dont like being guilted or condescended to. and a lot of these commercials take that route