Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

INTEL CORE I7 3820 or i5 3570K?

would be great to know what the cons and pros are for each and your opinion on this choice!

(edit:guess I kinda sucks at making threads in the right forum >.<)
    Last edited by mmocba4f7a59a4; 2012-11-09 at 07:36 PM.

i5 3570K is faster, cheaper, uses less power and can be overclocked to be even better than it is out of the box.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    i5 3570K is faster, cheaper, uses less power and can be overclocked to be even better than it is out of the box.
    thank you!im kinda convinced though it almost sounds to one-sided to be true!

i7 3820: $299 @ newegg
    3.6GHz

i5 3570k: $214 @ newegg
    3.4GHz and can be overclocked

Obviously there is more information but yes the i5-3570k is the better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    thank you! I'm kinda convinced though it almost sounds to one-sided to be true!
    It really depends on what you are doing, the i5 is sufficient for most tasks and in some cases wins over the i7(mainly in gaming), where the i7 really shines is when you are working in multi-threaded applications(think video editing and compiling).

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    It really depends on what you are doing, the i5 is sufficient for most tasks and in some cases wins over the i7(mainly in gaming), where the i7 really shines is when you are working in multi-threaded applications(think video editing and compiling).
    Even if you were using multi-threaded applications, I think the i7-3770k would be better since it can be OCed.

As others have said, for gaming only, the i5-3570K is the better option.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    hmhm I will be going for the i3570k then!
    though it seems I'm torn between 2 Mobo's too!

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 or ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3?

Take the motherboard with z77 Chipset, as it is most optimised for the newest intel generation.
    "Claiming that your operating system is the best in the world because more people use it, is like saying McDonalds makes the best food in the world."

15+ Year Old Account
    it depends on what you want to do with it, if you want to play games with it, go with an 15 3570K, as said, it can be overclocked easly, is cheaper, and needs less power, however, if you are going to do video editing or something similar, the extra hyper threading will make the i7 3820 better.

Also, the z77 motherboard is better suited to handle the newer generation of cores.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

The ones I recommended in the other thread you made:

AsRock Z77 Extreme4
    Asus P8Z77-V LK

If you really want the Sabertooth go for it, but you can put the 80 bucks in a better video card or an SSD if you get a different motherboard.

Don't bother with the old Z68 chipset.

You need the Z77 for the i5 3570k. Thought I'd recommend an Asrock Z77 Extreme4.
    Playing since 2007.

Well if your getting a 3570k you definately will want a z77 board but you more than likely wont use the features of the Sabertooth and could save your self $100ish getting an Asrock z77 extreme 4 unless you really like the sweet bullet proof cover
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

unless you really like the sweet bullet proof cover
    Disclaimer: the thermal armor on the sabertooth is not bulletproof

Deleted
    I would have gone for the Asrock but there are no available at the site where I'm buying so it will be an Asus P8Z77-V LK! ty fo advice

edit: With these changes the price of it all got cut down by a good margin so it turns out I have some budget left to pay more for my GPU.

My current choice is ASUS GEFORCE GTX 660 OC - 2 GO
    Is there any graphic card out there with an amazing cost/quality relation?
    Last edited by mmocba4f7a59a4; 2012-11-09 at 08:17 PM.

You really seem to like overkill. You mentioned in your other thread that you do not plan on running dual GPUs, so I would recommend this MoBo:
    ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

The only real advantage the Sabertooth has over this is 2xPCI 3.0 slots, for running Crossfire or SLI, and can handle slightly higher clocked RAM, which will not make very much if any difference. The sabertooth also has 4x SATA 3.0 whereas the one I linked only has 2, however, they both have 4 2.0. Unless you are running multiple HDDs you really don't need more than 2 though. There is also about nearly $150 difference in the 2.

If you want to step up from the one I linked, look at the ASRock Extreme4. Offers almost all the features of the Sabertooth for about $100 less.

3820 can be overclocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    3820 can be overclocked.
    Overclocking with the bCLK makes the system very unstable on LGA 1155 and LGA 2011. You cannot change the multiplier. Therefore, to all intents and purposes, the i7 3820 cannot be overclocked.

I would have gone for the Asrock but there are no available at the site where I'm buying so it will be an Asus P8Z77-V LK! ty fo advice

edit: With these changes the price of it all got cut down by a good margin so it turns out I have some budget left to pay more for my GPU.

My current choice is ASUS GEFORCE GTX 660 OC - 2 GO
    Is there any graphic card out there with an amazing cost/quality relation?
    I would recommend a GTX 670, it's worth the extra cash.
    Playing since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    I would recommend a GTX 670, it's worth the extra cash.
    The HD 7950 is better priceerformance and is cheaper. The HD 7970 is also better priceerformance. In the 200-250 dollar sector either the 7850, 7870 or GTX 660 are very good cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Overclocking with the bCLK makes the system very unstable on LGA 1155 and LGA 2011. You cannot change the multiplier. Therefore, to all intents and purposes, the i7 3820 cannot be overclocked.
    SB-E is different. Should read up on it:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...&limitstart=14

Also it is far from unstable if you do it right, it is actually pretty easy (compared to Nehalem and earlier). Harder than overclock by multiplier obviously but even a retard can do that.

Anyway there is a huge thread on overclock.net about it among others.

btw most motherboards can handle 3820 overclock since X79 boards are nearly all enthusiast level boards to start with.
    Last edited by Jinto; 2012-11-09 at 09:24 PM.