Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Artificial Body Parts Superior to Natural Ones

Hello, I'm putting together a presentation on the advancement of artificial body part technology and what possible effects it could have when we develop and can create body parts that are better than what humans naturaly have, and I'd love to hear some opinions on it.

It most likely is gona have a huge effect on the job market when it becomes affordable to the middle class, "augmented" humans being able to preform the same jobs better than regular humans. Why would a business hire a normal human when the other one can preform the same job better and for the same money? Might even see businesses hiring only people with a specific upgrade. Of course not everyone is going to be willing or have the money to replace their perfectly fine, natural body parts with artificial ones and this will segregate them from the people who do.
    Unemployment would just get worse, with even more people on welfare the economy would get worse and might just go spiralling out of control.

Personaly I don't see goverments being able to properly regulate such things, as they usualy screw things up. We also shouldn't outlaw such research, standing in the way of science is never good, technology isn't inherently good or bad, it just depends on how we use it.
    Not to mention all the people who lost limbs or body parts for whatever reason, blind and deaf people, we don't have the right to deny them proper replacements just because we are afraid what might happen, do we?

And yes, i got the inspiration from Deux Ex. :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGzpzlvf0Gs The live action trailer sums it all up pretty nicely.

you could also have been inspired in this line of thought by the sprinter that ran on 2 prosthetic legs. while he wasnt that stellar in the olympics, it was kind of proven (in my mind at least) that technology might soon overtake nature in physical performance. some groups protested his being allowed to compete based on this, and is a good real-world example of what you're talking about. and the first battlefield will be in the athletic world imo, where these advantages will be showcased and really stand out first

Even if human augmentation came about and was as effective as what was portrayed in Deus Ex, I doubt it'll hit the civilian market for an incredibly long time, if ever.

Can artificial limbs heal themselves if injured?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Repairing/replacing them could be easier/cheaper than healing, also lack of pain is an advantage over natural limbs^^

Deleted
    No, wich is a scary thought. Considering you will be reliant on the companies producing the body parts to repair or replace your damaged ones, and if your eye or arm malfunctions, that's not something you can hold off on getting replaced either.

Quote Originally Posted by cudomix View Post
    Repairing/replacing them could be easier/cheaper than healing, also lack of pain is an advantage over natural limbs^^
    that would depend on whether enhancements were internal or external. a replacement hip would be an issue to replace, for example

Quote Originally Posted by cudomix View Post
    pain is good, its something that lets you know somethign is damaging you.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a side note, you should all be aware that the US military is the leading developer of artificial body parts, and their ultimate goal is to be able to take a crippled soldier and be able to repair him to fighting condition.

So if you truly desire artificial limbs that are better than organic ones, I would advise also being opposed to cutting the Pentagon's budget.

Deleted
    Well, considering the level of technology to produce something that out preforms human body parts, I'm sure they'll be able to connect them to your nerve system to send feedback.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    No, wich is a scary thought. Considering you will be reliant on the companies producing the body parts to repair or replace your damaged ones, and if your eye or arm malfunctions, that's not something you can hold off on getting replaced either.
    Man, when my biological eye, or arm, or brain, or liver malfunctions, it sucks I have to hold off on getting a new one.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I want an artificial liver. One you can turn up and down. Like if you wanna get drunk cheaply then you just turn it down and it breaks down alcohol more slowly. Or if you need to sober up to take the care home you just turn it all the way up and wait 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Man, when my biological eye, or arm, or brain, or liver malfunctions, it sucks I have to hold off on getting a new one.
    fuck, i just got the Eye-Phone 5, and 6 is coming out next week! must have!!!

You're already reliant on "companies" repairing you if you get damaged. It's called a hospital. No more scary than getting hurt today, it's less scary, since artificial limbs won't bring you any pain if wounded.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    As a side note, you should all be aware that the US military is the leading developer of artificial body parts, and their ultimate goal is to be able to take a crippled soldier and be able to repair him to fighting condition.

So if you truly desire artificial limbs that are better than organic ones, I would advise also being opposed to cutting the Pentagon's budget.
    Yeah, enhanced soldiers are another thing. Robotic arms to reduce weapon recoil for improved accuracy and who knows what else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine if pain worked like an alert system instead though. You get a quick buzz, and the warning light on your arm just stays on until you get it repaired. Much nicer than being in pain until your body can fix itself.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Yeah, enhanced soldiers are another thing. Robotic arms to reduce weapon recoil for improved accuracy and who knows what else.
    if one's legs are not governed/limited to one's ability to move them/fuel them, one could run as long as batteries or whatever support system allows. no athletes required to double time 50 miles @ 20 mph+. or other improvements that allow for heavier armor, and to carry and use more powerful weaponry

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a short interesting article about the military's advancements in artificial limbs.

They call it the "iWalk Biom foot"
    http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_n...turn-to-combat

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    You're already reliant on "companies" repairing you if you get damaged. It's called a hospital. No more scary than getting hurt today, it's less scary, since artificial limbs won't bring you any pain if wounded.
    Well, that's a perspective I didn't consider but you only need to go to the hospital if the damage is serious enough, otherwise you can heal up on your own or with medication from the drug store.
    While in the case of artificial limbs I doubt the companies producing them would like it if third party "repair shops" could repair the parts if the damage isn't that serious and they wouldn't get a cut from it. Most likely they'll try to restrict repairs to be done only in their shops, and what if each company has its own model of artifical body part that only they can repair?