Thread: Map of Racism

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    Because those weren't due to his race. they were because he is a huge con artist.
    are you blind, they are death threats

I bet none of those people had any police action taken against them either

obama voters get a free pass
    Last edited by rt7; 2012-11-09 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    As a little side note, I work for a utility company in the North East. Before hurricane Sandy hit, we subcontracted a shit load of people from the south to survey damage etc. I was talking with quite a lot of them throughout the week. I'm genuinely shocked by how many people still describe black people as "colored."
    Thank the NAACP for that one... they hammer it into the south.
    Last edited by Lodreh; 2012-11-09 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rt7 View Post

Do you understand that for something to be actionable as a threat, it has to be a credible threat?

10+ Year Old Account

I didn't say what those people were saying wasn't awful but no one cares what people say unless it is about race, sex, or religion.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Do you understand that for something to be actionable as a threat, it has to be a credible threat?
    saying you are going to kill someone is credible especially a political figure

of course only against obama though naturally.

10+ Year Old Account
    A few thoughts on this...

1) I immediately LOL'D when I saw the greyed out states (Montana, etc)! Do they even have electricity there yet?

2) I live in AL and am apt tell anyone who will listen to me (very few people + my cat), "Don't believe the lies! Racism is still prevalent in the South!".

3) I was just listening to a podcast where someone was saying how once you leave Portland, Oregon, there's an alarming amount of racism in the rest of the state. Neo-nazis, white supremacists, etc. I don't imagine they would be very techno-savvy, though. Or at least I hope not. /shudder

10+ Year Old Account

So do you care about these terrible Tweets about Obama? Or just the ones about Romney? Yes, we can turn this around on you too. It works both ways.

Icon made by leia06 from livejournal.com.

No, it's not. I don't think you understand what a credible threat is, and I don't think you're willing to understand it, because you have a belief that you'd like to hold about the matter.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who has traveled quite a bit I'm not really surprised. Racism is everywhere. I am however to see so much of it in the more progressive states. Rather I'm not surprised that it's there, because it's everywhere, I'm surprised to see so much openness about it. I suspect a lot of people will look at that map and just see the southern areas without realizing that at least two of the states with several of the tweets are two of the most progressive states.

No, it's not. I don't think you understand what a credible threat is, and I don't think you're willing to understand it, because you have a belief that you'd like to hold about the matter.
    that is nonsense, if I made a post online about my intent to kill obama the fbi would take it seriously

So do you care about these terrible Tweets about Obama? Or just the ones about Romney? Yes, we can turn this around on you too. It works both ways.
    calling someone a nigga or a monkey is not even in the same league as calling for someone to be assassinated

Quote Originally Posted by Lassira View Post
    People that support things like BET and black history month are just as racist as people that call Obama a monkey.

And people that voted for Obama because of his skin color are just as racist as people that didn't vote for him because of his skin color.
    Goes both ways.
    Whenever I hear people use this defense it always makes me think of Louis C.K.

I don't understand how people can fail to make the distinction. You have the IMMENSE privilege of being white. It benefits you in ways you can't possibly fathom without walking in someone else's shoes. Let's be clear here: everyone is racist. Stereotyping others on a variety of factors is built into our very core. We don't get a full psychological profile on every stranger that walks up to us on the street: we use the data we have at hand to prejudge people. It's not a good thing, but we're all guilty of it at some point and the best we can do is try to evolve to judge on better standards than simply the color of a person's skin.

However, minorities, and especially African Americans, suffer from those stereotypes far more than white people. In the eyes of most, black people are guilty until proven innocent. It is the very first standard they are judged by, even by people who consider themselves "progressive." People wonder why black folks stay in their dilapidated communities when Jim Crow racism is a thing of the past. And most will tell you that they simply can't stand being in an environment where they are outnumbered. You know, to constantly have that feeling of being an "other."

Hey, white folks can get that too if they step foot into a minority neighborhood. The difference? It's not 90% of the damned country! So yes, white people, you do have to put in that little bit of extra effort to not be racist. I know it's such a terrible burden. But with great power comes with great responsibility.

that one guy in the middle of canada

that is nonsense, if I made a post online about my intent to kill obama the fbi would take it seriously
    Highly unlikely. I don't know if you're being deliberately obtuse, of if you're literally just unable to grasp the concept that law enforcement only worries about credible threats, and that this is codified in law.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Idiot extremists on both sides of the US political spectrum tweeted stupid things. News at 10.

10+ Year Old Account
    calling someone a nigga or a monkey is not even in the same league as calling for someone to be assassinated
    Right, so you don't care about them, you only care about the ones dealing with Romney. Don't point out the twig in your neighbor's eye if you have a giant tree in yours.

Highly unlikely. I don't know if you're being deliberately obtuse, of if you're literally just unable to grasp the concept that law enforcement only worries about credible threats, and that this is codified in law.
    http://www.opposingviews.com/i/polit...st-politicians

if the secret service or FBI is made aware of something online they will investigate it.

---------- Post added 2012-11-09 at 11:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by raechuul View Post
    Right, so you don't care about them, you only care about the ones dealing with Romney. Don't point out the twig in your neighbor's eye if you have a giant tree in yours.
    I care about a ridiculous double standard.

calling for romney to be assassinated = just harmless fun
    calling obama a monkey = worse crime ever

10+ Year Old Account
    I care about a ridiculous double standard.

calling for romney to be assassinated = just harmless fun
    calling obama a monkey = worse crime ever
    No one said that.

There should probably be a normalization against the percentage voting Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by raechuul View Post
    No one said that.
    of course they did, since the guy a few posts above me seems to think all of these anti-romney tweets are not credible.

I'm also not aware of any major news station that did any reporting on the threats.

10+ Year Old Account
    of course they did, since the guy a few posts above me seems to think all of these anti-romney tweets are not credible.

I'm also not aware of any major news station that did any reporting on the threats.
    How many of the Obama threats do you think are credible? What about the life-size replica dolls of Obama that were hung from trees near the election time? Is that just some racist kids having fun or is that credible?