Thread: Map of Racism

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    I thought it was obvious that I making fun of his incredibly stupid post by showing what could be said about the other side. Screw the word count.
    Generally when people say 'fixed' they're inserting their own opinion by changing the quote slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    How's that 60 year old Civil Rights Amendment doing at eradicating racism in the South?
    In the most anti-Obama, most 'south' of the most 'nasty' states of your USA - 40% of people voted for Obama.

I suspect things are nowhere near as bad as are being made out. Just a few crazies sullying the good name of the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Generally when people say 'fixed' they're inserting their own opinion by changing the quote slightly.
    "Generally" but not "always". But I can see what you're getting at.

You know what would be the craziest thing? If Republicans saw the advancement of the Democratic agenda coming, and decided to put up an undercover Republican (Obama) to push for it all, so that it didn't happen too quickly. If Obama was a real Democrat, we'd already have a 70% income tax.

I've had a couple beers, work with me here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    You know what would be the craziest thing? If Republicans saw the advancement of the Democratic agenda coming, and decided to put up an undercover Republican (Obama) to push for it all, so that it didn't happen too quickly. If Obama was a real Democrat, we'd already have a 70% income tax.

You know what else would be crazy? Bringing back Hitler and the Nazis to fight dinosaurs that we've resurrected.

Also Iron Sky.

Though your post reminds me of a thought I had on the NRA: What if they're just causing a ruckus in order to increase gun sales for profits? Of course I have no idea how the NRA funds their stuff and whether they could actually profit from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    You know what else would be crazy? Bringing back Hitler and the Nazis to fight dinosaurs that we've resurrected.

Also Iron Sky.

Though your post reminds me of a thought I had on the NRA: What if they're just causing a ruckus in order to increase gun sales for profits? Of course I have no idea how the NRA funds their stuff and whether they could actually profit from that.
    Crazy conspiracy theories are fun to entertain

I guess as long as we know that that's what they are, we should be okay.

10+ Year Old Account

Pff, even our "left-leaning" Democratic party is pretty far to the right compared to left-sided parties in most of the rest of the world. Our leftists are more like centrists than anything else. Hence why people can ramble about a "one-party state!" and be halfway right.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Pff, even our "left-leaning" Democratic party is pretty far to the right compared to left-sided parties in most of the rest of the world. Our leftists are more like centrists than anything else. Hence why people can ramble about a "one-party state!" and be halfway right.
    Yeah, you're absolutely right. It really does seem like America is the one-off. Should maybe tell us something?

Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    That's how my society were 20 years ago, but then globalization came. 30% of population are immigrants, crime rates are skyhigh and problems are clogging everything. This got nothing to do with racism, it's race-awareness of where the problems root. You may want to call it nationalism to. Whatever you wish, the primary concern is. My people will be extinct in 150 years if the course is not reversed ASAP.

There are many countries in the very same situation. Europe bleeds.
    same talk was rampant in the 1930s in Europe and we all know what we got as a result of that talk. But we could see even earlier than 1930 how it was by some considered a science The State Institute for Racial Biology was created already in 1922 in Uppsala This race talk is nothing new and have been used by the far right for many many generations now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    same talk was rampant in the 1930s in Europe and we all know what we got as a result of that talk. But we could see even earlier than 1930 how it was by some considered a science The State Institute for Racial Biology was created already in 1922 in Uppsala This race talk is nothing new and have been used by the far right for many many generations now.
    Can we please stop referring everything to Nazi Germany? Obviously, allowing a mindset that targets certain 'minorities' is bad, but so is ignoring problems with integration. Changing demographics is hardly something that just worries "racists" when so much issues seems to follows in it's wake.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Living in Texas, I'm honestly surprised we didn't score high on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    I'm genuinely shocked by how many people still describe black people as "colored."
    The terms "negro" and "colored" were never derogatory, and still are not, even if they aren't in as common a usage. The NAACP certainly never changed their name, for instance. The term "African American" has been in partial use since the 70s, and I amusingly heard a black guy from London go off on that in the 90s.

I think some terms are just common in some regions. For instance, check out how these sound to your ear:
    (1) "There was a black guy in the bathroom."
    (2) "There was a black in the bathroom."
    (3) "The class was about issues still facing blacks in America"
    (4) "The class was about issues still facing black people in America"

I'm betting you anything (1), (3), and (4) sound just fine, but (2) sounds off to you, even though (3) and (2) are based on the same phrasing.

The first time I saw someone being genuinely racist was when I was in my 20s, and I walked into a gas station. The attendant was nice and polite, and as I was looking through the various gizmos seeking nail clippers, a black dude walked in. Jeans and T-Shirt, so it's not like he was dressed like some gangsta, but the attendant's ENTIRE attitude changed. He went from relaxed loose shoulders to tight, he shifted from sitting in his chair with a paper to looking forward and sort of scanning the area, and his half-smile disappeared, replaced with a high degree of vigilance. The black guy was just browsing potato chips, but he clearly made the dude nervous as SHIT.

I think a lot of racists have that nervous response, and then find a way to rationalize it, and that rationalization becomes the racism.

Thread title is deceiving. I was expecting a global map, featuring racism between various groups, not just a US map and not just a study of messages that attack one group. I was looking forward to a study of racism between ethnic groups in Africa, myself. I've heard that different black tribes are racist to each other, and wanted to see some data on that to see if it was true.
    Last edited by Grummgug; 2012-11-10 at 11:14 AM.

15+ Year Old Account

Obama's just continuing the socially liberal populist but essentially conservative triangulation of Clinton, so you'd have to go back to the nineties. In my opinion, people hate him so much because of manufactured outrage. There's no good reason that the reaction to the amount and style of healthcare reform that the Dems under Obama instituted should have been characterized as a government take-over. But I mean, it's an us-vs-them political climate these days.

Yes, the deficits are shocking, but they would be shocking if a Republican were in office, with the amount of lost revenue. If McCain had gone full-on-austerity and not extended unemployment and food aid, or given aid to the states, there's evidence from other countries the economy would be in worse shape. There are reasons for progressives not to like him, there are reasons for conservatives not to like him, but in essence you're right. He's no radical.

In a way, even if the outrage is somewhat irrational, fiscal conservatives should be glad that there's a Democrat in office, and the deficit is in fact a big deal (unlike 2004 when we were already putting wars on the credit card, and straight up giving away Medicare D). We just have to hope that Boehner and Obama can hash out a plan, and not both believe that they have a mandate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Racism in the USA is still alive and kickin..... Don't be delusional, don't downplay it.
    Some Americans (and I've seen and been in a lot of countries) are more obsessed with the color of a person than anyone else I've experienced.
    Now I do have to say, that my very own experience is this.. I have experienced racism first hand against me, for being white, and European on top. To me, color doesn't mean shit. Seriously, if it means anything to you, you need some help..
    It's a very difficult cultural situation, which some people have just a hard time to deal with. What I see is entire communities isolating themselves from the others.
    Good friend of mine, black. Upper middle class, one can say. He lives in a decent mix neighborhood. Asking him, why he doesn't move to the more upscale neighborhoods, where his kind of income level lives, he said..
    Look, first of all, here is where I grew up. It's my hood. Mom's house is just down the street. So its cool from that perspective.
    Could I move? Sure can, and co-workers ask that too. But the main reason I won't move is for the sake of my kids. I don't want them to be target to racism in school.
    I'm like. are you serious? That's the reason? Is it really that bad? Does that really exist? He said, oh yeah.. you have no idea.
    That boggled my mind, and I kept asking around with my other friends. Everyone, regardless of color, confirmed.

Conclusion, racism is very well alive. and it's kept alive from both sides. Radical assholes are across the aisles.

But the good news are.. The people that are not racist are definitely the overwhelmingly large majority.
    This one fits the topic:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1198946

---------- Post added 2012-11-10 at 06:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Can we please stop referring everything to Nazi Germany? Obviously, allowing a mindset that targets certain 'minorities' is bad, but so is ignoring problems with integration. Changing demographics is hardly something that just worries "racists" when so much issues seems to follows in it's wake.
    Uppsala is in Sweden
    I think he just showcased that we struggle with the problem for a lot longer already... Which however should be obvious to everyone anyway

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Like i said the problems was already around BEFORE the nazis they just took them up as there own. And integration is clearly not the issue at hand when we see the riots on ole miss and the tweets of racism about the sitting president of USA. We need to dig deeper than integration since that cant explain the racism going on in USA at all since those people being targeted by it have been USA citizens for generations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    Like i said the problems was already around BEFORE the nazis they just took them up as there own. And integration is clearly not the issue at hand when we see the riots on ole miss and the tweets of racism about the sitting president of USA. We need to dig deeper than integration since that cant explain the racism going on in USA at all since those people being targeted by it have been USA citizens for generations.
    I know, and I was told, that there once was a time in the USA when the sitting President was a person of respect.
    After all, he is your leader. You give him the respect and loyalty..
    But whats to wonder about the lack of this, when public figures violate that unwritten code?
    Be it politicians, be it celebrities. They are the role models for that kind of disgraceful behavior.

The worst of all people I can think of is Ted Nugent.

Look at this shit....
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2094490.html

Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    Sadly what was started back then was never finished. Not that it matters. It got nothing to do with the globalization thats been going on the past 30 years.

Or maybe you are under the impression Sweden had 30% immigrants in the 70s. Try something like 1%...

Science no, biology yes. I'm not sure what you are trying to prove other than the value of species. A value you seem to disregard.
    It doesnt have 30% today either nor did it have 1% in the 1970s We have according to EUROSTAT 9.2% born outside of EU. and that was in 2010.

Sure we have problems but the solution isnt to slam the door shut and put the head in the sand and think the problem goes away. It is the same as if we just ignore the problems in black neighborhoods in USA the problems will go away. obviously that will not make any problem go away.

Combine this with the outright lies from Romney in this years campaign of that Obama is removing work requirement on welfare ( totally false he was actually giving waivers to allow it to be INCREASED) It is easy to see that racism is still a major problem in USA today

---------- Post added 2012-11-10 at 12:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I know, and I was told, that there once was a time in the USA when the sitting President was a person of respect.
    After all, he is your leader. You give him the respect and loyalty..
    But whats to wonder about the lack of this, when public figures violate that unwritten code?
    Be it politicians, be it celebrities. They are the role models for that kind of disgraceful behavior.

The worst of all people I can think of is Ted Nugent.

Look at this shit....
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2094490.html

The GOP have lacked respect of the office of POTUS everytime a democrat have been elected. The bogus impeachment on Clinton and constant birther and other issues vs Obama.

Ted Nugent and Donald Trump kinda lost it after the election if we say so. kinda scary since in the case of Donald Trump he is so closely tied to the GOP of today. We go back to the talks from Sharron Angle ( Teaparty nutcase running for Senate from Nevada in 2010 ) and she had those 2nd amendment remedies ideas if we dont win the elections.

Lots of interesting and good literature on how the noise machine of the extreme right is working in the USA.

And quite frankly the level of extremism that is on display is something that should worry most people. we see so much fascism trends growing across the world. We see it in Greece right now and i wouldnt be surprised if we soon wake up to ethnic cleansing of non greeks in greece.

The ugly head of fascism is never further away than a massive financial meltdown and it always makes a return and the scapegoats gets called out.

Deleted
    I'm not a racist, I hate all skin colors evenly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    So I take it you are black in Mississippi? Back your words up with facts.

Here are my facts from the US Census.
    http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0322.pdf

of the known incidents. 2284 against people for being black, and 545 against people for being white.
    You do realize that many would-be hate crimes against whites are rarely charged as such. It's become a pathetically, politically charged affair.