Thread: Magic Find?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Magic Find?

Hello, for more than 2 weeks I`ve been lv 80 and roaming the last 2 Orr maps killing mobs, doing events and gathering every resource I could find. I play a Cond necro, and I have no issue with 4-5 or more mobs at one, so killing packs was not an issue. Still, during this weeks I have found maybe 2 yellow items. I use +MF food, but except that nothing. Should I invest more in MF jewls / sigils / runes? At around what +MF figure will I see more greens / yellows?
    And one more question: will +MF influence the number of gems I find in mining nodes?

Thank you, have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    Hello, for more than 2 weeks I`ve been lv 80 and roaming the last 2 Orr maps killing mobs, doing events and gathering every resource I could find. I play a Cond necro, and I have no issue with 4-5 or more mobs at one, so killing packs was not an issue. Still, during this weeks I have found maybe 2 yellow items. I use +MF food, but except that nothing. Should I invest more in MF jewls / sigils / runes? At around what +MF figure will I see more greens / yellows?
    And one more question: will +MF influence the number of gems I find in mining nodes?

You should if you have no problems giving up a third stat. Get the level 80 masterwork magic find gear, it has almost no stat difference compared to rare or exotic and 10x cheaper. I don't know if it effects chests or not but I got the crossing from the mad king dungeon so Ima continue to wear it

10+ Year Old Account
    People told me that MF does not affect chests. Still, I saw some calculations and they said that +200% MF will give +10% chance of a better item(I do not remember the correct number, 10% is just an estimation, but I remember it was a low chance, and +200% seams a VERY BIG number).

Deleted

All I can say is from my own experience, ofc. I've tried using only MF food and also using a complete MF set and I do notice a difference in drops for let's say a 3-4 hour play session in Orr. By a "complete" MF set I mean MF armor with pirate runes, MF jewelry, MF weapons with a superior luck sigil in one of them and the rest with opal orbs, omnom bar and guild MF bonus up. This gives me around 160ish MF. I get lots of greens and 2-3 yellows during a play session.

About your other question: MF applies only to mob drops and is calculated at the time of mob death.

Source: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenan...c-find-chests/

People told me that MF does not affect chests. Still, I saw some calculations and they said that +200% MF will give +10% chance of a better item(I do not remember the correct number, 10% is just an estimation, but I remember it was a low chance, and +200% seams a VERY BIG number).
    Regardless if it doesn't effect chests or not. It's still RNG. So the question is, do you want better RNG or not? If you don't have a problem with mobs I would pick up a MF set because why not?

Deleted
    I am using the pirate sigils 5/6 and +magic food, while I can't tell about blue and green gear drops cause I never pay attention to it I do feel I get more yellows even if it's nothing spectacular but it's defiently alot more than before I think I only found 1-2 yellow items as drops while leveling to 80 and I generally find atleast 1-2 a day now.

Deleted
    MF does not affect chests. It's confirmed by ANet https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...rst#post597487

Imo, MF is more like a placebo, I get about the same rares, whether I use it or not.

Since we are fooling around with RNG there is no evidence that MF increases your chance of receiving a rare. I would like to hope that it does. I have yet to get a MF set but I am in the market for one. Does anyone know how much a full MF set + food costs? Or should I just go around farming without MF until I find gear that has it? I assume it helps, I'm not sure how much it really affects it though :S If a item has a 0.002% chance to drop and you increase that by 10% it only gives you a 0.0022% chance. Minimal gain at best, does anyone know in-depth how it really works? Also does the cost of food, outweigh the gains from the drops?
    Last edited by Elemair; 2012-11-07 at 05:09 PM.

Deleted
    Just craft or buy a rare armor with magic find and masterwork trinkets, the difference in magic find is so minimal it's not worth a exotic set.

Deleted
    It's up to you if you want to have 2 sets, one being a magic find set and the other PvE / WvW or whatever. I'm personally running around with a magic find set filling 5/6 slots on armour and having a sigil of luck on my weapon.

I also use pretty much any type of magic find food I have and if available, pick up the banner buff too. If you tag the mobs, you should be seeing blues / greens with some rares and occasional exotic.

Magic find doesn't also affect the drop rate from crafting nodes. that will be from the WvW bonus.

Personaly I split the difference. I stuck 5/6 pirate and 1 traveler runes in my general PVE exotic set I crafted in the first week after I hit 80. With that, food and luck sigil I end up somewhere a bit over 100MF and I feel thats good enough without sacrificeing too much in the way of stats. Sure I could crank MF up to the 160's or so by building a full MF set along with jewlery but this is good enough for now. I do notice a significant difference in drop quality if I'm useing my WvW set for example with no MF vs that PVE set. ~ the same number of items over a similar play session but the items trend to better quality with MF. Normaly its just greens and the ocasional rare but geting twice as many greens to vendor vs the white/blues I end up salvaging for high lvl crafting mats tends to be a better value.
    Last edited by Merendel; 2012-11-07 at 07:06 PM.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    Maximum you can get at the moment:

Weapon 1 : 3%
    Weapon 2 : 3%
    Weapon Sigil : 0,6% * 25 = 15%

Armor pieces : 6 * 3% = 18%
    Runes of the Pirate/Traveler/... : 10+15+25 (i dont know if this actually stacks or if it's just the biggest number) = 50% (25%)

Jewelry: 5*3% + 5*4% (The piece itself has 3% and the Opal jewel has another 4%) = 15%+20% = 35%

-> 124% from Items

Another 30% (40%) from Omnomberry-food (bar or the chocolate cream stuff)
    Another 10% from the guild-banner

-> 164% (174%)

Another 50% from the cashshop buff, for an hour

-> 214% (224%) (or 199% ... )

10+ Year Old Account
    The main issue I have, is not Actually a big thing: I never find yellows that I can salvage for Globes of ectoplasm, and they are pretty expensive to buy, around 15-16s. So I figured that with more MF, I`ll find more rares, so more globes, and I will be able to craft my gear instaid of buying from TP. That`s the main purpose I guess. But in the end it`s just money, so maybe instaid of MF I could do more woodcutting / mining / normal killing and the result would be the same.

MF and grouping plus waves will give you more drops, than being solo. That is why key events are more popular than others in Orr, if you find bots, you know where to get drops, it's just that easy. My warrior has 4 runes (pirate something) and a sigil that is like .6% x 25. In a group farming for an hour I can pull 3 to 12 rares. On my Ele which has 0 MF I can do the same in a group. On my warrior I have only gotten 1 exotic drop after days of shelter/pent farming.

I've gotten about 20 or so exotics from the mystic toilet with rares I got farming.

All this fancy math is useless, jump in a group and kill waves of mobs for drops, pretty simple stuff.

The main issue I have, is not Actually a big thing: I never find yellows that I can salvage for Globes of ectoplasm, and they are pretty expensive to buy, around 15-16s. So I figured that with more MF, I`ll find more rares, so more globes, and I will be able to craft my gear instaid of buying from TP. That`s the main purpose I guess. But in the end it`s just money, so maybe instaid of MF I could do more woodcutting / mining / normal killing and the result would be the same.
    You should follow the zerg in orr and pick up drops from them while also making karma

10+ Year Old Account
    I am unable to find armors / jewls with Condition dmg + MF
    strange...

10+ Year Old Account
    strange...
    mf/cond isnt crafted
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

strange...
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Insignia

Insignia is for cloth but the names and stats still apply across all armor types. The only set you could craft is magic find, power, precision gear.

If you insist on going cond necro, get the crit minor trait and get lots of stacks of bleeds over small stacks that do high damage.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-11-08 at 09:37 PM.

strange...
    Magic find prety much only comes with MF power and precision. you can either take zito's sugestion and go for weaker dots but more of them due to traits and high crit rate or sacrifice some MF for more ideal stats on the main pieces. You could go with rampagers (power precision condition) armor with MF runes socketed and only loose 18%. You could sac another 15% if you went with condition stat jewelry with exquisite opals socketed (another 20% if you drop those sockets as well for more damage) My preference was to sacrifice the 18% MF on the armor and go full MF on the jewelry. It seemed a fairly good compromize in geting a bit more killing power without sacrificing too much MF.

you can also min max a bit more by haveing a weapon with the luck sigil you use only long enough to build up the stack and swap to another weapon with a damage sigil (just dont use another stacker, only the first one to apply stacks) as long as you dont zone or get downed the stacks will stay up without swaping back. I'd sugest a bleed on crit sigil to swap too in your case and like zito sugested make up for lower power with greater quantity.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    You might see some better drops OP. For example if a rare has a 0.05% drop chance, it will have a 0.1% drop chance with 100% MF. Is it worth it? Thats up to you. I personally don't really use it, and especially will never wear MF in dungeons or anything else that matters.