Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Hopefully they get over thinking Karl Rove is good at his job.
    After the comedy of his election night performance, I doubt his input will hold a lot of water. Then again, some of these networks are more interested in entertainment than news or opinion. I think a lot of what happened was entertainment over actual news. Sad to see when you have the whole nation watching. Shot themselves in the foot there..

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    After the comedy of his election night performance, I doubt his input will hold a lot of water. Then again, some of these networks are more interested in entertainment than news or opinion. I think a lot of what happened was entertainment over actual news. Sad to see when you have the whole nation watching. Shot themselves in the foot there..
    That and Crossroads didn't exactly do very well on election night.

15+ Year Old Account
    That and Crossroads didn't exactly do very well on election night.
    are you talking about the christian group?

are you talking about the christian group?
    No, Crossroads GPS is Karl Rove's super pac. Huge attack ad outfit for the GOP. Spent absurd amounts of money. Responsible for some of the worst filth this election. Didn't actually see much success on election night.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, Crossroads GPS is Karl Rove's super pac. Huge attack ad outfit for the GOP. Spent absurd amounts of money. Responsible for some of the worst filth this election. Didn't actually see much success on election night.
    Oh, no doubt. My bad, Crossroads is a Christian group around here.

Yeah, I'm not sure how much the far right Christian movement really resonates with the avg voter. I mean, evangelical turnout is down. It seems people are more concerned with economic issues. Even thought Romney seemed ahead in that regard, I think the pandering to ultra right interests hurt the GOP.

Not an expert on US politics though. Just an observation.

Yeah we have Crossroads down here too. Crossroads isn't really a christian outfit, they're really not anything but an attack outfit for the GOP. Ideological consistency isn't required.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not an expert on US politics though. Just an observation.
    Outside opinions are, like, peer review for our politics. Analysis from people who aren't wholly invested in agreeing, you know? It's nice. I appreciate all the foreign input I can read around here. That and the handful of posters who are extraordinarily good at presenting their cases, regardless of my agreement. Sound reasoning is sound.

Perspective is a helluva thing.
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah we have Crossroads down here too. Crossroads isn't really a christian outfit, they're really not anything but an attack outfit for the GOP. Ideological consistency isn't required.
    mkay. well I don't wanna dip too far into the religious right's tendencies. That's just going to invite flamers.

Quote Originally Posted by hksin11186 View Post
    Outside opinions are, like, peer review for our politics. Analysis from people who aren't wholly invested in agreeing, you know? It's nice. I appreciate all the foreign input I can read around here. That and the handful of posters who are extraordinarily good at presenting their cases, regardless of my agreement. Sound reasoning is sound.

Perspective is a helluva thing.
    I'm far from any quality source of opinion. I'll comment when I think my comment will be productive. a lot of times I just keep my mouth shut. I feel like Americans don't always wanna hear some Canadians opinion. It sometimes just feels forced imo.

There is a number of options at this point:

1: Change Policy: They change direction on some of the issues that are massive deal-breakers for so many voters.

2: Change Politics: They pretend to change in order to trick people to vote for them.

3: Change the System: They change the system and remove the electoral collage so they can continue to have a chance with only the popular vote.

If they don't do at least one of these things, they will be hard pressed to get another shot at being in charge.
    Last edited by Qprah; 2012-11-10 at 08:52 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qprahwndfury View Post
    If they don't do at least one of these things, they will be hard pressed to get another shot at being in charge.
    They need to accept that fact that they lose on the crazy social issues they present. Even a slight move to the middle on social issues will win them an election.

The little bit of Fox news I have seen this week leads me to think no for now. Much of the public GoP faces or flag waivers are acting like they should have won and it was taken over or stolen. With 2 years of planning they will figure a few things out though, they will draw new lines in the sand and move forward. Peoples standards in politics quickly bend when they realize they can't win with them.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    The little bit of Fox news I have seen this week leads me to think no for now. Much of the public GoP faces or flag waivers are acting like they should have won and it was taken over or stolen. With 2 years of planning they will figure a few things out though, they will draw new lines in the sand and move forward. Peoples standards in politics quickly bend when they realize they can't win with them.
    To be fair, If Obama lost the Dems would be out there trying to save face too. The people you see on TV, it's their jobs to spin whatever happens in a positive way.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    They just need to change their stance on the big social issues and they will be fine.

So what if the party fragments? You realize there are probably a lot of people in the Democratic party who associate with Republicans on a lot of things, but would NEVER join the party because of it's absolutely absurd stance on things Democrats (and the REST OF THE WORLD) understand. It's a wonder that the party still holds onto these ideas so dearly, but going forward it's not going to win them anymore elections.

There will never be complaints about changing the electoral collage by Republicans. If you had victory by popular vote in place it would actually get a lot of Democrats out and voting in places where before it didn't matter. Most of the population of the U.S is in major cities or in heavy voting blue states, a lot of the red states pale in comparison in population compared to blue states as well. If you went to popular vote you would suddenly start seeing more Democrats in red states coming out to vote (because before their vote really didn't matter as they could never win enough to have their vote win the state) and those in big blue states actually voting because there is more of a reason now (if you're in NY or California there is little reason to vote because the state is always carried anyways).

Popular vote would only hurt Republicans IMO.

mkay. well I don't wanna dip too far into the religious right's tendencies. That's just going to invite flamers.
    I'm not sure where you got religion out of this.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure where you got religion out of this.
    It kinda felt that it was going in that direction for me. I'm open to the discussion of the topic otherwise. Always have to wear my mod hat though

It kinda felt that it was going in that direction for me. I'm open to the discussion of the topic otherwise. Always have to wear my mod hat though
    I think you're still confusing the conservative christian group with Rove's Super Pac which is entirely not religious.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think you're still confusing the conservative christian group with Rove's Super Pac which is entirely not religious.
    Maybe so. I'll openly admit that American politics (and especially the workings of political action committees) is not my strong suit. My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post
    It seems that the republican party has been in denial for a very long time on a number of issues. Denial about education, denial about America no longer being the "greatest country on earth", America being a Christian nation (it isn't), Denial about evolution, Global warming, the age of the planet, and a plethora of other scientific issues.

Watching the GOP play the blame game and scapegoat everything from the hurricaine, to Romney being a weak candidate, to America full of black and latino voters who "want free shit" has made me realize that they are still in denial. Do you guys think the republican party will admit that they lost based on their ideas being out of touch with the country and change their platform to be more inclusive instead of exclusive? Or will they continue business as usual and further alienate women voters by promising laws limiting their control of their bodies, pressing more de-regulation of banks and big business, and further pursuing their losing platform of 2012?
    im confused. it's like you're saying that the democrats are perfect. The biggest fuck-up of the republican party is their social platform. They will naturally evolve to a more libertarian platform as their more bigoted voter base starts dying out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quite honestly, I think it's pathetic when people's lives revolve around politics or political discussion. I see a lot of people on here go on and on about the morality of various policies, but seem to care very little about people on an individual level. People show up on this site every day looking for advice, support, or just someone to listen to them, and yet very few people who visit this site will take a few seconds to give any of that. Politics matter, but they aren't all that matter. Vote the way you please and move on with your life.

On topic: Yes, the GOP is going to have to restructure itself if it wants to stay relevant. They are on the losing side of many social issues, and as this next generation grows up, there won't be a lot of room for some of their beliefs.

To be fair, If Obama lost the Dems would be out there trying to save face too. The people you see on TV, it's their jobs to spin whatever happens in a positive way.

I am sure you would and in the past we have. What I have seen is different they the past though. It is like many are in shell shock, think they should have won and it was just taken from them. It is like a deer in the headlights version of the Dems after Gore had the popular vote and lost.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."