Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help me understand what people see in Obama and why I should be hopeful for the futur

I don't understand why people like Obama and think he's great. I want to understand why I should be excited about the future of our country. I know about Mitt Romney. And, I'm not talking about what the Obama team painted him up to be and what the Mitt Romney Haters think they know about him either.

I don't want to hear cute campaign slogans or propaganda. I'm not looking for the Obama fan boy's opinion. I'm looking for someone who's going to give an honest opinion about why people like Obama and why I should be excited about the next 4 years. I want to be excited about the future of the country. I'm just not seeing it anymore.

Due to his health insurance law we will have a healthier population and therefore more productive workforce.

The reason he was elected was that he was the safer of the two in the election. Romney was a dick, Obama was not. 'Nuff said.

People see someone who's not Mitt Romney.

You're attaching too much enthusiasm/emotions to it. It's politics, not a new game.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-11-10 at 02:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure this is just a thinly veiled "I hate Obama and Romney is great" thread. That said, Romney seemed to have some pretty radical ideas and with Obama, we'll almost certainly keep getting what we've been getting which is slow but steady and stable growth and reduction in unemployment.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is just a thinly veiled "I hate Obama and Romney is great" thread. That said, Romney seemed to have some pretty radical ideas and with Obama, we'll almost certainly keep getting what we've been getting which is slow but steady and stable growth and reduction in unemployment.
    The thing is, we CLEARLY can't afford "slow but steady", out of all the ideas Obama had, almost none of them passed in the way he wanted them. That alone makes me skeptical and worried about his "end-game" plan.

I said it before and I'll say it again, sure Obama won in not only the electoral college (what matters) but also the popular vote, the sad part is that the country is almost literally 50/50 split with what we think Obama will do to the country.

I'd be fine with Obama and the dems if, and only if they realize you can't spend with money you don't have.

lesser of two evils

he doesn't have out dated social views, questionable business eithics, constantly flip flops on issues, and believes corporations are people.

rawr romney supporter/obama hater angry cause romney lost rawr....as the internets has stated. "its a country not a game you can play like monopoly" the US does not need a bussiness man they need a leader. Obama is more of a leader then Romney is, and the fact Romney's own state electorals didnt even vote for him says something about a man. what sucks is the whole 2 party system itself. they refuse to work together (both republicans AND democrats) and it sucks because we the people are the ones who suffer from it.
    Last edited by bklutz; 2012-11-10 at 02:59 AM. Reason: grammer/spelling mistakes

I do not see anything particularly "great" about Obama, but I see a number of positives that are quite clear, even when taken on their own merits and not comparing to Romney. For one, he's had the strongest gay rights positions of any President ever, which an important issue to me. While I thought it was underdone, I think the stimulus was a clearly good idea, and simply was too small, misdirected, and undersold; a second round would have been a good policy, and that's been Obama's position. We pulled out of Iraq, for the most part, which I'm delighted with. We're slated to stagnate military spending, which is a good start in the right direction. We've increased spending on research, which is strong in his favor. Alternative energy production has ramped up greatly. I approve of his SCOTUS appointees, and that's a huge deal to me.

Basically, while I can just as easily make a list of things I'm displeased with, on the whole he's been pretty solid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    The thing is, we CLEARLY can't afford "slow but steady", out of all the ideas Obama had, almost none of them passed in the way he wanted them. That alone makes me skeptical and worried about his "end-game" plan.

I said it before and I'll say it again, sure Obama won in not only the electoral college (what matters) but also the popular vote, the sad part is that the country is almost literally 50/50 split with what we think Obama will do to the country.

I'd be fine with Obama and the dems if, and only if they realize you can't spend with money you don't have.
    You mean like not spending trillions of dollars on the military that likely needs a reduction in funding? Different political and economic philosophies are different and neither side is truly correct, we'll get no where without compromise and the Republicans seem less and less willing to ever compromise.

Something.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's perfectly simple. You Americans voted for the black man to avoid people crying racism. There are some situations where crying racism is inappropriate and this is one of them, yet people would be prepared to cry racism had you voted in the other bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post

1. Slow and steady is how our government works. If anyone told me they fix fix anything in a year or two or even three years, I'd call them a bloody liar and anything else they said would be instantly invalid.
    2. There was no fiscal conservative option. Romney wanted to spend just as much money (if you piece together what he might do in the White House from speeches and debates, because he never gave any definitive plans), he just wanted to spend it on different things. There was absolutely not an option that actually wanted to limit spending.

To the OP: If you aren't a fan of Obama, you are either ideologically opposite or bought the propaganda that we would be facing a thousand years of darkness if he was reelected. Either way, no one is actually going to convince you of a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligier View Post
    It's perfectly simple. You Americans voted for the black man to avoid people crying racism. There are some situations where crying racism is inappropriate and this is one of them, yet people would be prepared to cry racism had you voted in the other bloke.
    No. That's not why we voted for him at all, otherwise Herman Cain would have been the Republican candidate. Plus, (most of) the people who are actually racist enough to not vote for a black person are the same people who don't care if they're called racist or not and will vote for the white person. This argument is an extremely misinformed and frankly, an idiotic excuse.

Something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligier View Post
    Are you serious? I dont believe for a second that the reason Obama got ~%60 of the votes is because people were scared they would look racist if they didnt vote for him. Please rejoin reality as soon as you are ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Galluccio View Post
    I don't understand why people like Obama and think he's great. I want to understand why I should be excited about the future of our country. I know about Mitt Romney. And, I'm not talking about what the Obama team painted him up to be and what the Mitt Romney Haters think they know about him either.

I don't want to hear cute campaign slogans or propaganda. I'm not looking for the Obama fan boy's opinion. I'm looking for someone who's going to give an honest opinion about why people like Obama and why I should be excited about the next 4 years. I want to be excited about the future of the country. I'm just not seeing it anymore.
    This is why I believe in Obama.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...a-media-event/

He's no Bubba, lets get that straight. But I can say that I was raised a Christian Republican, and now I am an Agnostic Progressive. I see things in Obama, such as sincerity that is unmatched from nearly any recent candidate. Couple that with his views on Social stances, and the fact that he is making progress towards a better future, including some financial reform, and he has my support. I do not expect him to singlehandedly turn around our budget issue, but I do expect him to make a good start on it before he's out the door. 4 years, and even 8 years is a long time to turn around our problems, and it took a World War, and a Cold War to fix it last time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Galluccio View Post

i hoped for Obama becouse Romney was a false person and a huge dickhead so was some of the workers i mean taking away female rights and also making it worser for the poor and better for the rich. he showed me he has no clue what people go trough and that hes some spoiled rich guy that would have messed up the country even more. http://ocnnreport.com/2012/09/17/mit...47-of-america/ thats your other choice for president. I do doubt Obama can fix America to but yea not like you had any decent choices to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xothic View Post
    Are you serious? I dont believe for a second that the reason Obama got ~%60 of the votes is because people were scared they would look racist if they didnt vote for him. Please rejoin reality as soon as you are ready.
    Here's the reality. Despite what everyone thinks that the "rest of the world" would prefer obama, the fact is, no one cares. Only the media, who like to hype things up and, lets face it, have a tendancy of making things up anyway, actually care. The ordinary Joe in the street doesn't care. Why? Because whoever is in charge of your country will spend the next 4 years telling the rest of the world what to do like as if he is in charge of the entire world and not just the USA - just like the previous presidents, and just like the next president, unless your politicians ways of thinking change dramatically.

Deleted
    The current state of your country has nothing to do with Obama, it was the inbred retard before him that wasted billions of your money on a pointless "war". Obama supports peoples basic rights, Mitt Romney's bible is so far up his ass that he doesn't.

Infracted: Please be more civil and constructive.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-11-10 at 02:32 PM.

In reality, there is no real need to be hopeful. The democrats still control the senate, the republicans still control the house, and Obama is still president. Nothing has changed which means nothing will change. We will most likely spend at least the next 2 years in another gridlock between republicans and democrats.

Honestly I had no care for who won, but I guess in my opinion I felt Obama was the lesser of the two evils. I really didn't like both.

I kind of didn't like Romney more because he was a Mormon and I know he would have judged things off of his religion.. I feel Obama has an open mind and would make decisions based on right or wrong, not what his religion says is right or wrong.