Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Class Action Lawsuit against Blizzard.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/11/08/52109.htm

Publishers of "World of Warcraft" and other blockbuster video games make millions by "deceptively and unfairly" charging customers for an after-sale security product to protect their private information from hackers, a class action claims in Federal Court.
    Lead plaintiff Benjamin Bell sued Blizzard Entertainment, of Irvine, and its corporate parent, Santa Monica-based Activision Blizzard.
    Bell seeks class damages for consumer fraud, unjust enrichment, negligence, breach of contract and bailment. He claims that the same security problem, and after-market fix, occurs in defendants' games "Starcraft" and "Diablo."

This is just silly. Blizzard breaks even with the authenticators, and possibly loses money. I have received a free dongle from just calling up and asking for one. Not to mention you can get one for free if you have a device that can support the app.

Class action lawsuits are supposed to actually force a company to fix a problem.

What do you think?
    "My sword? [Heck] yeah I know how to use it. What's to understand about swish-swish-stab? It's a [freak'n] sword dude, it's not a fighter jet." -Tucker "This One Goes to Eleven

This lawsuit wont go anywhere, its pretty stupid.

This won't go far as they can't prove it. They sell the keyfobs at cost, and don't charge for shipping within the us, I know I've priced the same unit and can't find them for under $7.00 ea anywhere else, they give away for free versions that work on smartphones, and they aren't even required if the end user can keep crap off their own computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I reckon they should come with boxed editions for like the next expansion. If you have one, you can give it to a friend.

They don't break even, that's a joke.
    I didn't complain about paying the $10 for my security. It has saved my account from being hacked again.

But I can see what he's coming from. They don't do much to stop hackers.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

One sure fire way to get people to use the authenticators - include them in the games themselves.

For retail boxed versions - put the physical one in.

For digital copies - make em download the mobile device app. Pretty sure most people that play the game have access to a mobile device these days. If not, then they will need a physical one sent for free (not even postage cost).

Then require it to be used on EVERY single log-in.

Right now, I only have to use it 1 day a week and it's the same day every time and almost the same time of that day. It hasn't changed dates for me in 4 months so I know when to expect it. It used to be random.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
    This won't go far as they can't prove it. They sell the keyfobs at cost, and don't charge for shipping within the us, I know I've priced the same unit and can't find them for under $7.00 ea anywhere else, they give away for free versions that work on smartphones, and they aren't even required if the end user can keep crap off their own computer.
    Most of the time when somebody gets hacked it is not from a keylogger, but from stolen user information from forums.

EDIT
    Right now, I only have to use it 1 day a week and it's the same day every time and almost the same time of that day. It hasn't changed dates for me in 4 months so I know when to expect it. It used to be random.
    Thats because it keeps track of your computer location. If you log in from another place itll ask you to enter your key again. They did this because it was annoying having to enter it every time you wanted to log in.

WTH is he trying to get at? Hasn't blizzard always announced when their systems were compromised? I seem to recall several times Blizz has come out and said "well damn we got hacked!"

What happened? Did he get hacked having an authenticator and is now trying to sue them?
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

It may not work but I'm ok with them trying. The ability to sue for stupid things is good in than it can sometimes lead to benefical change, and most times gives us something to laugh at.

In this case though there is a tad bit of logic to it which Bliz could get around by bundling it with the purchase of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    "Sir, you'll have to move, you are blocking the fire exit."
    "Excuse me, but if you have legs and are flammable, you are NEVER blocking a fire exit." I'd run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhias View Post
    Actually, the deluge has been very enlightening to me. Lesson of the week is to not go out of your way to treat people with respect because there is a 90% chance they are narcissistic douchebags.

Lawyers.

The bubble-hearth of the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    They don't do much to stop hackers.
    You're joking right?

Add it to the stack of frivolous lawsuits that muck up our courts.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrotan View Post
    The ability to sue for stupid things is
    the American way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Add it to the stack of frivolous lawsuits that muck up our courts.
    Its a lot more legit than other shit I've seen.

American legal system has no recourse against frivolous lawsuits which is why the system is a complete cesspit of litigation that wastes time and only seeks to increase the bank account of whatever bottom-of-their-class ambulance chasing attorney is putting the suit together.

10+ Year Old Account
    If by "deceptively and unfairly" charging customers they mean charging the customer a shipping fee then they'd be right. Blizzard said a while back they make $0 off of authenticators (they actually save money on CS reps to deal with hacked accts). The transaction for the physical version is for shipping only. Digital versions are free. This is gonna get shot down, and I'll buckle over laughing if Blizz counter-sues.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    WTH is he trying to get at? Hasn't blizzard always announced when their systems were compromised? I seem to recall several times Blizz has come out and said "well damn we got hacked!"

What happened? Did he get hacked having an authenticator and is now trying to sue them?
    They did, but it took them time. Was only a few months back, just before MoP when blizzard got hacked, and it took them a week to announce it to the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Its a lot more legit than other shit I've seen.
    it's not remotely legit, it will get thrown out, Blizzard will have its time wasted and whichever boneheads brought the "case" to the attention of these bottom-feeding lawyers will lose whatever amount of money they paid said lawyers.

---------- Post added 2012-11-10 at 07:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by razorback07 View Post
    They did, but it took them time. Was only a few months back, just before MoP when blizzard got hacked, and it took them a week to announce it to the community.
    Banks do the same thing, some don't even report it until a whistle-blower brings it up.

Deleted
    Yeah it ain't gonna work.

You don't actually need to buy an authenticator either if you have a smartphone/iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Yeah it ain't gonna work.

You don't actually need to buy an authenticator either if you have a smartphone/iphone.
    I'd rather buy the key chain one....which I did. Couple of my friends had the mobile one and they got hacked. I have yet to be hacked with the key chain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    I'd rather buy the key chain one....which I did. Couple of my friends had the mobile one and they got hacked. I have yet to be hacked with the key chain.
    No they havent. The mobile ones are just as secure as the dongle itself. If anything your friends were using some sort of emulator, but even then, there are only a hand full of people that have been honestly fallen for the man in the middle attack.
    "My sword? [Heck] yeah I know how to use it. What's to understand about swish-swish-stab? It's a [freak'n] sword dude, it's not a fighter jet." -Tucker "This One Goes to Eleven