Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    HERESY! death to Tau xenos filth!

Quote Originally Posted by Hurax View Post
    What is more fundamental though, the diameter or the radius?
    Diameter ... assuming you don't know Pi, then the only way to the radius is either by measuring half the diameter, which would generally done by finding the intersection point of two diameters.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurax View Post
    Agree with you there. Dropping units in solving something is lazy, you don't save much time but risk making mistakes that you would easily avoid with them.
    If you know that the result is in Newtons (for instance) - you do not need to worry about units in the formula. The only thing you have to worry about is that all units are of the same magnitude - so if you have meters in upper part - the lower part should have meters too - not millimeters or something.
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2012-11-10 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    Simple example: Speed = distance / time. Speed = 100 (m)/14 (s) = 100/14 (m/s) = 7.1429 (m/s). Units and math are two separate entities. You can easily divide meters by seconds.
    Now let's see: Speed == 10 (m) / 10 (s). But we need to get the distance in 100 seconds = 100(s) * 10(m) / 10(s). We can get rid of 10s = 100. We know the units - meters. If we do not know units - we can get them by doing this: s * m / s = m
    Ah, I see what you're saying. Yeah, I think I just expressed the same thing differently. Perhaps I'm still whiffing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I suppose that's conceptually useful, but it just seems confusing to me. I think I'm better at tracking new information than most folks, but it still just seems intuitive to me to teach both up front, then just use one during learning stages. Sort of a, "oh, by the way, I should mention that tau is also used, but don't worry about that too much for now, we'll come back to that later". I personally like having that sort of thing so that when it comes up later, I don't feel like, "why didn't anyone mention this to me?".
    Right. We didn't start dropping the constants until 3rd year physics at University. When you're working out a problem that takes 10+ pages of scratch work before you get it, the pen strokes saved are huge...

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    If you know that the result is in Newtons - you do not need to worry about units in the formula. The only thing you have to worry about is that all units are of the same magnitude - so if you have meters in upper part - the lower part should have meters too - not millimeters or something.
    I think he and I are thinking of complex equations where the units can get really esoteric and weird. It starts to get pretty important to track them closely at every step. I see what you're saying about them being separate from the math though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Would it really make a difference? I would think it would be an equivalent of using kelvin instead of celsius or etc. It would get you the same result, in some ways the math would be easier in other it could be longer. If you like tau go for it, no ones stopping you, but I don't see a real advantage over the other.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Would it really make a difference? I would think it would be an equivalent of using kelvin instead of celsius or etc.
    Actually - the difference between K and C would be WAY bigger than between Pi and Tau.

At least with Pi and Tau, multiplying by two means the same thing

With C - 40C isn't twice as hot as 20C, matter of fact it is pretty much meaningless what 40C/20C is.

To me the argument is as simple as this. Can we stop using pie? Only if we start using tau/2.

Tau/2 is just as bad as 2pie. You can argue about which is more common if you like, but that seems futile.

Wanting the conceptual fundamentals of the constant to be a single units is nice, but how many of the constants are? And it still doesn't change the actual number or the math, only the conceptualization of that number.

As far as teaching kids... fractions were always more hated then multipliers. You don't start teaching kids 2pie. 2pie doesn't come up until(correct me if I'm wrong) maybe grade 12 trig/physics? So your going to either start kids on tau/2 or start with pie and shift them 1/2 way in their mathematics understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Would it really make a difference? I would think it would be an equivalent of using kelvin instead of celsius or etc. It would get you the same result, in some ways the math would be easier in other it could be longer. If you like tau go for it, no ones stopping you, but I don't see a real advantage over the other.
    Actually gas law formula problems with not work with celsius at all, you need to convert :P

I stand corrected. This amazing advance simplifies everything.

just becomes h/tau!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    With C - 40C isn't twice as hot as 20C, matter of fact it is pretty much meaningless what 40C/20C is.
    Indeed, Celsius (and Fahrenheit to an even greater extent) are scales of convenience for commonly dealt with everyday temperatures. They're quite useless if we're trying to deal down to "real" heat.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I stand corrected. This amazing advance simplifies everything.

just becomes h/tau!!!!
    I don't think my calculator has a t button. So I'd have to enter h/2pi anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I don't think my calculator has a t button. So I'd have to enter h/2pi anyway.
    Time to write a nasty letter to Texas Instruments.

Time to write a nasty letter to Texas Instruments.
    I'm not buying a new calculator just so I can type t/2 when I need to use pi. And my calculator is a Casio.

And my calculator is a Casio.
    Well that's your problem right there... (kidding).

Anyway, tau is used for enough things. Torque, time (when t might be confused with temperature), among other things. Tau is fine. Don't give it more work to do. Pi only has one job.

Well that's your problem right there... (kidding).
    And my calculator is a Casio.
    I'm not kidding! TI-92 represent!

I'm not kidding! TI-92 represent!

You don't have a tau button either

You don't have a tau button either
    I don't need one... I had Super Mario, and that's what's important.

If I recall correctly, typing "tau" did it. That might be wrong though, it's been a long while.

I liked my TI-85 and then TI-89 better.

---------- Post added 2012-11-10 at 11:14 AM ----------

If I recall correctly, typing "tau" did it. That might be wrong though, it's been a long while.
    Yes, it did.

I migrated to Mathematica for University, though. Long live playing Tetris during high school math classes.