Multiple simultaneous audio outputs in Windows, how to?

I know there are some media player programs that can output to multiple audio devices at the same time, but this is not a Windows default feature. Anybody happen to know a registry hack, a program or some version of Realtek drivers (motherboard integrated audio) that could enable it? Quick googling turns out programs that can redirect multiple inputs into all programs at the same time, but nothing to redirect everything into multiple outputs.

What I'm trying to do is get all sound output coming from rear panel line out, graphics card HDMI out and USB headphones at the same time. Of course I can't listen all at the same time, and I know I can change the default playback device between the three, but I want a situation where all three act like a "default playback device" at the same time so I don't have to change it manually depending on if I want PC audio out from headphones, speakers or TV.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virtual audio cable can do that. Though honestly its a pain in the ass. Need to enable driver debug mode to use it and the program don't have an easy way for it to autostart.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Virtual audio cable can do that. Though honestly its a pain in the ass. Need to enable driver debug mode to use it and the program don't have an easy way for it to autostart.
    Oh? I managed to get only multiple inputs bundled with VAC, not multiple outputs, although documentation referred to the possiblity. Configuring it was indeed pain in the ass and there was no obvious way to do it even with documentation open. Anyway, not looking for a pain in the ass option for current manual work. Isn't really helping :P

Any soundcards perhaps come with clever drivers that can do it? Would be acceptable option if it's cheap enough.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Don't most devices come with a Stereo mix option, which 'records' audio on the device output? On the 'Listen' tab of said 'Stereo Mix' set to Playback on another device. That should replicate the sound more or less perfectly. Obviously make sure that the bit and frequency rate is constant - or its gonna hog CPU resources. You may need to chain it though with the HDMI output being the last in the chain.

Tested, and had no problems chaining from my motherboard's Realtek ALC898, to the Creative X-fi Titanium, to the NVIDIA DisplayPort output.

There is a slight delay though, be aware of that.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2012-11-10 at 06:40 PM.

"Listening" is not possible on all devices, only those marked as recordable, so it's impossible to get exactly same output from three devices at the same time doing that.

Did even more googling, apparently it was possible to set multiple default output devices in WinXP but for some reason this feature was removed in Vista/7/8 ... sux
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    "Listening" is not possible on all devices, only those marked as recordable, so it's impossible to get exactly same output from three devices at the same time doing that.
    Again, Stereo Mix records what your device outputs.

So Output 1 -> Stereo Mix 1 -> Output 2 -> Stereo Mix 2 -> Output 3

Of course, I don't believe your USB headset supports Stereo Mix, nor would the HDMI output - so at best you'd only be able to replicate to a secondary device. You do need another solution to get the third on board.

Did you try using the audio repeater that comes with the VAC software?

Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    Did you try using the audio repeater that comes with the VAC software?
    Lack of automation is the problem with VAC.

I'm looking for a solution which I can install/configure once and then forget it. Having to load and start it manually with windows is just as much hassle as manually setting the default playback device really. The need is for changing from USB headset to HDMI or line out and back maybe once per day or so, depending on how much I watch videos on the big screen.

JACK wasn't it either, it only works with ASIO devices.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-11-10 at 11:08 PM.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I switch between speakers and headphones a lot too. I got tired of manually switching the default audio device so I looked for a solution too. The best I could find before I gave up was to download a program called soundswitch. I have it set up so I just hit one of the G keys on my K90 keyboard and it switches back and forth between whatever audio devices I want.

The best way is to purchase a audio card. No but really purchase an audio card and you can do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    multi output DACs can do it, my E-1 can output to XLR, Balanced and Headphone all at the same time, while im sure you dont want to pay that much, it may give you an idea on where to start looking, maybe a M-audio mobile pre, it's something dj's use to have multiple outputs at a venue

External DACs and soundcards might be partial solution, but still not convinced it can do both HDMI (HDCP protected even) and also analog outputs at the same time unless somebody knows for sure it can be done. Been wondering if any of the Asus Xonar or other commercial grade cards could do it. HDMI because it solves HTPC cable mess easily.
    Trolling should be.

I decided to go with http://soundswitch.codeplex.com/ for now. There are few other similar programs too.

It's not automatic but switching the output can be hotkeyed and it removes few mouseclicks from the manual method.
    Trolling should be.

I'm able to do it with my Realtek HD Audio Manager. O.o. It's built into my MSI motherboard for it's drivers and sound drivers.

I currently have mine setup to output sound to my Turtlebeach headphones to my computer, my Logitech THX5300 to my computer, and HDMI to my wireless speakers through out the house while still being able chat on Xbox live with the same headphones.

I can reverse it as well with a little help from Windows Media Center and a TVCable card to receive PC, 360, and TV sound through my PC.

Was fairly straight forward to setup, but I'm also a computer science student...

Have enough wires and electricity going on this one I can't plug in much of anything else without tripping a power supply or break. Side note, I'm unable to transmit audio past 64 channels before loosing all sound with 3 audio setups merged, can only have one on my machine to get past the 64 limit and still function.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Lack of automation is the problem with VAC.

I'm looking for a solution which I can install/configure once and then forget it. Having to load and start it manually with windows is just as much hassle as manually setting the default playback device really.
    If it's just a case of having it load on startup wouldn't adding it to the task scheduler achieve that?
    (just incase that option slipped your mind)

Quote Originally Posted by Arkuri View Post
    I'm able to do it with my Realtek HD Audio Manager. O.o. It's built into my MSI motherboard for it's drivers and sound drivers.

I currently have mine setup to output sound to my Turtlebeach headphones to my computer, my Logitech THX5300 to my computer, and HDMI to my wireless speakers through out the house while still being able chat on Xbox live with the same headphones.
    All at the same time? I see no such option in my Realtek HD Audio Manager. Only can split separate programs to separate outputs, not all programs into multiple outputs.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    If it's just a case of having it load on startup wouldn't adding it to the task scheduler achieve that?
    No such luck. It needs configuring and there are no command line options to do it. Only way to make VAC fully automatic is to use some windows macro tool that will simulate keyboard and mouse to configure it after task scheduler starts it.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkuri View Post

I can reverse it as well with a little help from Windows Media Center and a TVCable card to receive PC, 360, and TV sound through my PC.

Was fairly straight forward to setup, but I'm also a computer science student...

Have enough wires and electricity going on this one I can't plug in much of anything else without tripping a power supply or break. Side note, I'm unable to transmit audio past 64 channels before loosing all sound with 3 audio setups merged, can only have one on my machine to get past the 64 limit and still function.
    I have Realtek HD. I would like to make it so all sound from my computer goes to my speakers, HDMI, and my bluetooth speakers. Can't figure it out in realtek. Any insight?