Page 24 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    dark chocolate is way too strong/intense. milk chocolate is clearly the best.
    American dark chocolate is junk (no offense). Russian dark chocolate is simply fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I wonder why they taste like that? I had the same reaction to Mountain Dew: Game Fuel. At first I thought it was the caffeine, but I recently accidentally added 150mg of caffeine to about 18 ounces of coke and it didn't taste like that. I was seeing if I could make strawberry Coke and used some packet of Crystal Light, but didn't notice until after I poured it in that it was the energy type.
    I have no idea. I guess really sugary stuff is my one sore spot with food in general. I'm pretty sensitive to things being overly sweet. It's pretty rare I'll drink a beverage with sugar at all, it just really seems to hit my taste buds hard. I like apple cider and that's about it.

That reminds me, why do companies get to put shit on their packaging like "2.5 servings per packet" when it recommends you add the entire packet to 20 ounces of water and the packet has no way of practically resealing or carrying it around without spilling?
    This one gets me HARD. When I used to drink Kool-Aid (the sugar free kind, again with that idiosyncrasy), I had to dilute it like 3:1 out of the jug it was kept in. I don't understand how people drink it straight.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 01:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    American dark chocolate is junk (no offense). Russian dark chocolate is simply fantastic.
    Don't be silly, Americans don't eat American dark chocolate

There's quite a few options I like. I'm pretty biased towards Belgium and German though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I have no idea. I guess really sugary stuff is my one sore spot with food in general. I'm pretty sensitive to things being overly sweet. It's pretty rare I'll drink a beverage with sugar at all, it just really seems to hit my taste buds hard. I like apple cider and that's about it.

This one gets me HARD. When I used to drink Kool-Aid (the sugar free kind, again with that idiosyncrasy), I had to dilute it like 3:1 out of the jug it was kept in. I don't understand how people drink it straight.
    That's rather odd. Maybe you're also very sensitive to flavors, but you're overly sensitive to sweetness whereas I'm overly sensitive to bitterness? I mean, unless your family made extremely strong Kool-Aid, having to dilute that stuff is extremely odd.

10+ Year Old Account

Don't be silly, Americans don't eat American dark chocolate

There's quite a few options I like. I'm pretty biased towards Belgium and German though.
    And for good reason! I enjoy Belgian chocolate as well, although it definitely has a distinctively different taste from Russian chocolate, to the point where you could easily put them down as two different types of candy altogether.

That's rather odd. Maybe you're also very sensitive to flavors, but you're overly sensitive to sweetness whereas I'm overly sensitive to bitterness? I mean, unless your family made extremely strong Kool-Aid, having to dilute that stuff is extremely odd.
    Nah, even the stuff I make at home now (I think I've been out of my parent's for ~6 years), or Crystal Light is the same for me. All of it just tastes insanely sweet to me. I guess that's odd. It might be a sweetness thing, since I usually don't like non-diet sodas either.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 01:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    And for good reason! I enjoy Belgian chocolate as well, although it definitely has a distinctively different taste from Russian chocolate, to the point where you could easily put them down as two different types of candy altogether.
    I don't think I've ever had Russian chocolate. I'm sure there's some shops I could find it at, but I haven't seen it around much. The place I used to go to had a lot of German, Belgian, and French stuff that was quite nice. I think I'm pretty ignorant about types though, they just mostly taste good to me. Not my area of expertise!

I don't think I've ever had Russian chocolate. I'm sure there's some shops I could find it at, but I haven't seen it around much. The place I used to go to had a lot of German, Belgian, and French stuff that was quite nice. I think I'm pretty ignorant about types though, they just mostly taste good to me. Not my area of expertise!

^Russian chocolate!

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    John Schnatter doesn't know when to STFU.

Another little 1%-er temper tantrum that will end up costing them more in the devalue their shares and lost business than Obamacare does by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    John Schnatter doesn't know when to STFU.

Another little 1%-er temper tantrum that will end up costing them more in the devalue their shares and lost business than Obamacare does by a long shot.
    Their shares are already down 4.2% in under a week. Ironically much more than they would have had to charge, per pizza, to cover healthcare for their employees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well honestly, what do you expect? They're not exactly going to blame layoffs and reduced hours on their own profit-driven, social-conscience-absent, sociopathic bastardry, are they?
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Their shares are already down 4.2% in under a week. Ironically much more than they would have had to charge, per pizza, to cover healthcare for their employees.
    John Schnatter is worth 600 million dollars. ~4000 businesses with a base average of 6 employees (only 4 at the location where I'm at) so 24,000 employees and he can't cover .14 cents? That's only 3360.00 a month, he probably pays that in an electric bill for that big ass house of his. Don't pity the 1% for the taxes that are coming for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhas View Post
    John Schnatter is worth 600 million dollars. ~4000 businesses with a base average of 6 employees (only 4 at the location where I'm at) so 24,000 employees and he can't cover .14 cents? That's only 3360.00 a month, he probably pays that in an electric bill for that big ass house of his. Don't pity the 1% for the taxes that are coming for them.
    Its 14cents per pizza sold.

Regardless of his net worth, that is an increase in business expenditure. I have massive doubts anyone ordering from Papa Johns is going to care about a 14c increase in the cost of each pizza. It is clearly a ploy to move to a more walmart-ish model where you employ a larger number of people but all of them part time so you don't have to pay for vacation or sick days or offer benefits, and blaming a political party he disagrees with for doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suggest you do some more research.

Papa Johns INTL sells both franchises (and takes 5-7% of their profits) and also operates many of its own stores in a corporate environment. Not every Papa Johns is a franchise.
    You're right, not every single Papa John's is a franchise. But the vast majority of them are. Outside of the area where the company was founded (Indiana), almost all of the stores are franchises. I don't think there's a single corporate-owned Papa John's in my state (Louisiana), Texas, or Arkansas (and I only list them because those are places where I have gone to the restaurant). The Papa John's I ordered from while in Washington, D.C.? A Franchise.

It's the same for many other companies, as well. Blockbuster, Dominos, McDonalds, Taco Bell...you don't actually think those locations are owned by the respective companies, do you?

Most Pizza companies (including Papa John's, Dominos, and Little Ceaser's) already have very few full-time workers. Franchisees not only pay the corporate company part of their profits for the privilege of using the brand name, they also are responsible for paying for their own workers. Your checks, when you work for one of these, do not come from the corporate office. They come from whoever owns the physical location you work at. These guys have to make ends meet, so what they'll do is reduce anyone not "necessary" at full-time down to part time, and avoid having to pay the health insurance on them.

Which isn't that much different from the way it is now, true. But what should concern people isn't the owner of Papa John's pointing out what franchise owners will do. What should concern you is that an entire class of workers is being created who have 2-3 part time jobs, no health insurance provided by their employers (because they don't qualify under the current system, and they won't qualify under the one coming into play in the next few months), and no money to buy separate health insurance, as the premiums have risen sharply in the last 6 months and are still rising.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 02:07 AM ----------

Its 14cents per pizza sold.

Regardless of his net worth, that is an increase in business expenditure. I have massive doubts anyone ordering from Papa Johns is going to care about a 14c increase in the cost of each pizza. It is clearly a ploy to move to a more walmart-ish model where you employ a larger number of people but all of them part time so you don't have to pay for vacation or sick days or offer benefits, and blaming a political party he disagrees with for doing it.
    This is how pizza franchises already work.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    When you increase taxes and regulation and expenses, prices will go up and payrolls will go down. That is reality. If you don't like it, don't vote those who are for increased taxes and regulation and expenses.
    You really don´t know much about the world outside the US do you?

Try looking at most other "western" countries where taxes, regulation of corporations and expenses are higher. Guess what, our wages are a lot higher as well. Do you honestly believe that giving cooporations free reigns and just believing in their good nature will make things better? yeah turned out real well giving the banks and insurance industry a free pass to rape the world economy, thank you for starting the global economic crisis.
    Last edited by mmoc3eb006e951; 2012-11-14 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post

This is how pizza franchises already work.
    I know. Which is why his claim that he has to fire people or cut hours because of Obamacare is bullshit. If he has a 14c per pizza increase, so does each of his competitors (Pizza Hut and Dominoes).

Deleted
    I know. Which is why his claim that he has to fire people or cut hours because of Obamacare is bullshit. If he has a 14c per pizza increase, so does each of his competitors (Pizza Hut and Dominoes).
    Pizza companies do not compete in a vacuum. They compete directly against every other fast food food chain with homedelivery, and indirectly against every other source of food. Those competitors who will not have their costs negatively affected by ACA will gain while those who do will lose.

And yes, people will notice a $0.14 increase in pizzas. If they didn't, he would already have raised the price by so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Pizza companies do not compete in a vacuum. They compete directly against every other fast food food chain with homedelivery, and indirectly against every other source of food. Those competitors who will not have their costs negatively affected by ACA will gain while those who do will lose.

And yes, people will notice a $0.14 increase in pizzas. If they didn't, he would already have raised the price by so much.
    Ignore the argument that he needs do nothing because he already does not allow employees to have enough hours to qualify for full time status, and instead you start whining about prices in a Vacuum? I assume you are fine with Corporations attempting to create some sort of 2-3 job class that works 15-25 hours a week at each job so they can avoid paying any kind of benefits and sick time, right?

I just want to say to all the corporations out there that: IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT YOUR BOTTOM LINE. YOU CAN BE SUCCESSFUL WITHOUT SHITTING ALL OVER THE PEOPLE WHO MADE YOU SUCCESSFUL IN THE FIRST PLACE.

GROW THE FUCK UP, ALREADY!

Deleted
    Ignore the argument that he needs do nothing because he already does not allow employees to have enough hours to qualify for full time status, and instead you start whining about prices in a Vacuum?
    No, I was just expanding on your comment which in general is correct. For example if a VAT tax is introduced then everything will increase in price by the same %, which will have limited effects on competition (but it will change consumption habits). The ACA however doesn't affect everyone the same.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore
    I assume you are fine with Corporations attempting to create some sort of 2-3 job class that works 15-25 hours a week at each job so they can avoid paying any kind of benefits and sick time, right?
    Well I do not support the legislation that forces them to try and work around it in the first place. People in general do not seem to understand that benefits equal a certain cash wage increase. Removing benefits means you will have to increase the cash wage to attract the same number/quality of employees. Similarly, increasing benefits means you can lower your cash wage to attract the same employees.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2012-11-14 at 09:29 AM.

Deleted
    Wow... i'm once again impressed by the stupidity of some people. Its not the fact that you are stupid in general, but the fact that you just talk about things you dont nearly understand and believe in everything you get told by a single newspaper or blogger or what ever. Its okay if you dont understand how things work, no question. But then you should inform yourself if you want to talk about it. Go ahead and read multiple opinions and then form your own.

Im glad that Obama got re-elected and yes, maybe he isnt the best choice. But at least the majority of the us people did unterstand the whole picture behind Romney. Its sad that the republican didnt have a better candidate tho for the sake of variety.

Just please open your eyes. Take a look abroad. Healthcare works there just fine and its a gigantic gain, i can tell you that. Question everything what anybody says you and form your own opinion - always. And if you then dont agree with me, i'm okay with that. But i can't stand someone with a opinion, that is not his own, it's plain dumb.

And i almost fogot about the maintopic. Companies are there for the people. Not the opposite. Sadly some greedy guys ignore that fact. Ofc there will be employees that get fired, but then it should be for the companie as a whole to stay alive. Not to solely increase the stockholders return or even give your frustration some room...
    Last edited by mmoc052d4b7d79; 2012-11-14 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    No, I was just expanding on your comment which in general is correct. For example if a VAT tax is introduced then everything will increase in price by the same %, which will have limited effects on competition (but it will change consumtion habits). The ACA however doesn't affect everyone the same.

Well I do not support the legislation that forces them to try and work around it in the first place. People in general do not seem to understand that benefits equal a certain cash wage increase. Removing benefits means you will have to increase the cash wage to attract the same number/quality of employees. Similarly, increasing benefits means you can lower your cash wage to attract the same employees.
    So how does the free market prevent people from being crushed under the heels of large corporations, to where they can't take a day off because they are barely scraping by working three part time jobs? You are claiming that in a system where we have high unemployment somehow corporations are going to increase the wages or offer better benefits for low level positions? I'm not sure why you think that?