Page 47 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I am so sick of people bringing that bogus website up.

Let me enlighten you to some facts.

Here's the Department of Labor's actual chart on minimum wage historical rates.

Let's look at when the minimum wage was $.25 in 1938. If you plug that into the US Bureau of Labor Statistics' inflation calculator you'll see that the 1938 minimum wage of $.25 equates to about 4.10 today.

In 1950, when the minimum wage was at the height of its purchasing power, it was $.75, or $7.20 in today's dollars.

The minimum wage has, historically, fluctuated around a $6-$8 (in 2012 dollars) rate. The point that the "raise the minimum wage" people like to start their charts at is the late 60s and 70s when, for a brief time, the purchasing power of the minimum wage was artificially inflated to ridiculous purchasing power of $10-$11 in today's dollars.

You'll find that it didn't last long either as inflation quickly normalized it back to its classical rate.

I'm just so tired of explaining this uncomfortable fact to minimum wage advocates every time it comes up.

You dont need to explain anything, just plug some of your quoted numbers in and you will see how far behind min wage is today.

1 dollar 1956 ==>> $8.50

1.15 in 1961 ==>> $8.90

1.25 in 1963 ==>> $9.45

1.40 in 1967 ==>> $9.70

1.60 in 1968 ==>> $10.64

It is pretty obvious when you even study the numbers you linked to that it hasnt kept pace with inflation, I mean last time i checked we didnt have 10 dollar min wage, If anything it needs to be raised to about 12-13 dollars and ontop of that it needs to be automatically adjusted for inflation.

Hey!

Let's be mad at Boeing now!

"Boeing announced a major restructuring of its defense division on Wednesday that will cut 30 percent of management jobs from 2010 levels, close facilities in California and consolidate several business units to cut costs."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49729998/Boei...fense_Division

I feel like I might be doing this for awhile. Damn those businesses.

10+ Year Old Account
    A bit late there Riidii.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    A bit late there Riidii.
    Did someone already post it? I wasn't sure if people knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Riidii View Post
    Hey!

"Boeing announced a major restructuring of its defense division on Wednesday that will cut 30 percent of management jobs from 2010 levels, close facilities in California and consolidate several business units to cut costs."

It's almost as if we're winding down our involvement in two wars that we've been fighting simultaneously for nearly a decade.

Hey!

Except that has nothing to do with Obamacare. At best you're entirely off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Except that has nothing to do with Obamacare. At best you're entirely off topic.
    Notice how they don't mention why they are cutting costs.

Smart move Boeing.

Notice how they don't mention why they are cutting costs.

Smart move Boeing.
    Yeah I guess they didn't figure anyone would be confused why a company that makes fully half of its money on war machines might be making less money when there aren't as many wars going on.

Because, you know. The title of the article is:
    Boeing Announces Big Layoffs in Defense Division
    Defense Division
    DEFENSE DIVISION
    DEFENSE
    DIVISION
    Clearly its Obama's fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the argument could be made that it's his fault that we're winding down the wars.

I think that argument is rather dumb, however.

Clearly its Obama's fault.
    Take that, liebrul hippies! This is what we get for not invading Iran!

Best part is I don't think he read past the first paragraph anyway. Because they say its not a result of the election and point out all the arms manufacturers are cutting costs.

I suppose it is at least partly Obama's "fault" that we're looking at spending just ever so slightly less on military hardware.

If I had my way, we'd slash our military spending by ~65% though, so I don't view this as a negative. I do view it as a negative that he's still obscenely militaristic by any reasonable measure.

Best part is I don't think he read past the first paragraph anyway.
    I read the whole thing.

Because they say its not a result of the election
    See Papa John. "OMG WTF DRAWBIDGE DIE!!!!!"

and point out all the arms manufacturers are cutting costs.
    Well duh, this is rather obvious.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we really want to dig into causation we could blame this on the people who started the wars in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    If we really want to dig into causation we could blame this on the people who started the wars in the first place.
    Better yet, blame it on the people who didn't start wars before them, weren't in power any longer and were replaced by those who started the wars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Better yet, blame it on the people who didn't start wars before them, weren't in power any longer and were replaced by those who started the wars.
    Gonna takes this to its absurd extreme: I blame the event that sparked the creation of the universe. None of this would have happened if nothing ever existed.

It must be just coincidence that businesses are announcing massive layoffs, either subtly or non-subtly, post-election.

And damn, just think, this is just large corporations.

What about the small businesses? But hey, at least we're moving forward.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't heard of anything about small businesses around here, though the usually barren downtown seems to be getting more businesses, albeit in very slow fashion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Or we could ya know, educate our people for little to no cost to them so that we have smart, skilled, intelligent people who don't have to compete with foreign factory jobs for a living.
    But then you'd have to find a way to compel the teacher unions to compel the teachers to actually teach and educate instead of shoveling the kids thru the system and using them as props for your teacher strikes and political demonstrations.

---------- Post added 2012-11-17 at 12:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Notos View Post
    Oh look, businesses are finding it harder to weasel out of paying healthcare... boohoohoo.

Also, my friends and I agree that Domino's has been far superior to Papa John's since they've stepped up their game.
    Dont look now, but where do you think Domino's got the money to turn around their failing business... I wont spoil the suprise I'll let you dig that up on your own.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

It's just a case of butthurt corporate fat cats, nothing more. The end.