Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The conservative way - blame those brown people.
    White people just can't live in poverty, Spectral. They just can't! They're what makes America great!
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

You're (Riidii) the one claiming Texas is the conservative model for success. You don't get to claim it's amazing then just blame all the problems on those terrible brown people. What I see is the conservative model for success damned near topping the nation in poverty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    White people just can't live in poverty, Spectral. They just can't! They're what makes America great!
    That or they're white trash. Big difference.

Let's see if I can get my eyes to roll back all of the way.

You're the one claiming Texas is the conservative model for success. You don't get to claim it's amazing then just blame all the problems on those terrible brown people.
    They struggle with poverty.

But don't deny the effect of illegal immigration.

It's a colossal problem that the Northeast has the pleasure of scoffing at.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    So, illegal immigrants make up 16% of the population of Texas?
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Ignoring the last part:

New Jersey is in the top 5 education systems:

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0269.pdf

You get what you pay for. Teacher "quality" (what measurement is this?) is nice but actual results? New Jersey is damned good them. Maybe those teacher unions know some shit, cos South Carolina's are crap and we're solid number 49.
    I see nothing in that link besides unordered test scores. Even if we were top in the country, though, that wouldn't change the fact that we started overpaying our teachers and then took logic, reason and financial responsibility and set them on fucking fire as we began showering them with even more money.

So we came up with a crazy idea. We'd have teachers start paying 1% of their salaries into their pensions and some small percentage (I can't remember but it was something around 10%) into their health insurance (both of which were 100% subsidized prior) and agree to a pay freeze for one year. No layoffs, no slashed benefits or suspended pensions. All three unions involved threatened to strike (The teachers DID strike. Way to work for the kids, assholes.) and not a single one agreed to a pay freeze. So we now see stories spreading around the country how "one of the most crime filled states lays off cops and teachers".

So even if we're #4, I'd be happier where fucking Virginia is. Happily chugging along at #6 and NOT staring down the pit of government bankruptcy. Oh and they're Right to Work, too.

And you know what? California spent even more than us on their teachers and THEY'RE bankrupt for the same reasons we are. Why don't we ask Dacien how that's working out for their education system way down at #34.

Oil won't last forever:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_894528.html

Go number 31! Lulz.
    You're right, that's why they've also got a robust tech center quaintly dubbed the Silicon Prairie.

Quote Originally Posted by Riidii View Post
    They struggle with poverty.

But don't deny the effect of illegal immigration.

It's a colossal problem that the Northeast has the pleasure of scoffing at.
    If you're going to say liberals just can't deal with how successful Texas is, you don't get to pull this shit of blaming its woes on illegal immigrants. It's special pleading. You can't just throw out a state's weaknesses and take all its inherent strengths, unless I get to throw out any economic gains from oil and natural resources that Texas had. After all, they didn't earn those, it's something they have in the ground.

Red states are fucking terrible compared to blue states. Everyone knows this. If Texas is your success story, you don't have a success story.

I agree that Texas is what a conservative model for success looks like. Here's what that result is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_poverty_rate
    Can anyone explain why California's poverty rate is 13.3%?

Oh and Texas' poverty rate is down to 15.8%

California's is up from 13.2%.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I've never gotten why people think an administration in power for 8 years just stops having an effect as soon as someone else is in office.
    Clinton's legacy certainly hasn't, much to our detriment.

If you're going to say liberals just can't deal with how successful Texas is, you don't get to pull this shit of blaming its woes on illegal immigrants. It's special pleading. You can't just throw out a state's weaknesses and take all its inherent strengths, unless I get to throw out any economic gains from oil and natural resources that Texas had. After all, they didn't earn those, it's something they have in the ground.

Red states are fucking terrible compared to blue states. Everyone knows this. If Texas is your success story, you don't have a success story.
    There this one state...

it's big...

it's blue...

and it starts with C...

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post

I don't know what you'd like me to explain. Are you looking for a state by state breakdown? I'm the one claiming that someone can't deal with something. Should I use this (and GDP numbers) to say that conservatives just can't deal with California and New York being liberal success stories?

For real, follow the flow the thread.

So it went up .1%?

LAWDY LAWDY, THEY DOOMED.

Quote Originally Posted by cymraeg13 View Post
    I'm not so sure you know what detriment means.

There this one state...

It's big...

It's blue...

And it starts with C...
    I'd change the topic too if I were in your shoes. Saying that Texas is the model for conservative success stories is pretty damned embarrassing if you're shooting to show that conservatism doesn't ruin everything it touches.

I'd change the topic too if I were in your shoes. Saying that Texas is the model for conservative success stories is pretty damned embarrassing if you're shooting to show that conservatism doesn't ruin everything it touches.
    So if we're comparing failures, California vs Texas should be a no-brainer.

The whole exchange started with you saying:

The repeal of Glass-Steagel as it pertains to the ensuing crisis has nothing at all to do with this. In the future, try to not be spectacularly disingenuous when addressing me, I will call you out on your bullshit.
    You have called out nothing but bullshit of your own. The repeal of Glass Steagal is in great part responsible for the 2007 crash, which was blamed on Republicans by the left. These same failed policies have been continued by Obama - there NOW I've mentioned our current Marxist-in-chief.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see nothing in that link besides unordered test scores.
    Dear God. It's ordered by state. Can't you read?

Even if we were top in the country, though, that wouldn't change the fact that we started overpaying our teachers and then took logic, reason and financial responsibility and set them on fucking fire as we began showering them with even more money.
    You get a superb education system that helps keep you rich and you think they're overpaid? Fuck it, pay them the levels of Mississippi. See what happens as your state becomes deeply impoverished as everybody moves away.

So we came up with a crazy idea. We'd have teachers start paying 1% of their salaries into their pensions and some small percentage (I can't remember but it was something around 10%) into their health insurance (both of which were 100% subsidized prior) and agree to a pay freeze for one year. No layoffs, no slashed benefits or suspended pensions. All three unions involved threatened to strike (The teachers DID strike. Way to work for the kids, assholes.) and not a single one agreed to a pay freeze. So we now see stories spreading around the country how "one of the most crime filled states lays off cops and teachers".
    Then don't lay them off? How about you stop making them pay for more stuff they should get and did get? That's a bit of a shitty trick, expecting them to take massive theoretical paycuts. They have mortgages and lives, you know. Most people would revolt at 11% pay cuts.

So even if we're #4, I'd be happier where fucking Virginia is. Happily chugging along at #6 and NOT staring down the pit of government bankruptcy. Oh and they're Right to Work, too.
    Eh, it's the area around DC giving them false statistics.

And you know what? California spent even more than us on their teachers and THEY'RE bankrupt for the same reasons we are.
    Their education system has a whoooole bunch of shit to deal with, not the least some of the biggest numbers of immigrants in America and the gang problems. Education spending includes things like paying for police and security. I doubt Cali is actually substantially putting in more per person.

Nevertheless, you found the one "blue" state and bang on about the one "red" state. Overall trends still show you very, very wrong.

Why don't we ask Dacien how that's working out for their education system way down at #34.
    And ignore the teacher in number #49 who actually has the education and the statistics to prove his point. Are you sure you aren't anti-intellectual?
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Quote Originally Posted by cymraeg13 View Post
    Lefties won't let you talk about Clinton.

No matter how many times you explain that Clinton never paid down our gross outstanding debt, only borrowed from different sources they still refuse to admit that he didn't ACTUALLY create a surplus.

So if we're comparing failures, California vs Texas should be a no-brainer.
    Oh, absolutely. California has a higher per capita GDP, lower poverty rate, and is empirically better in many other ways. Indeed, your example of liberal failure is better than your example of conservative success. That seems improbable, but it's emblematic of how big the gap in success between the sets of ideas are.

Apropos of nothing real specific, I'd just like to note that a strong salary structure and a priority based hiring system would attract me to teaching science at a high school level, and I have Ph.D. in Microbiology/Immunology. The present system actively turns me away from teaching - I think we're doing something wrong with someone with a high degree of expertise in biology is effectively discouraged from entering teaching.
    And science has a strong salary structure? I have a PhD in cell and molecular biology, so dont try to bullshit me. Postdocs make less than teachers AND store managers at McDonalds, and R01 funding cutoff is at what now, like top 6%?