Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    You're being ridiculously obtuse and I'm almost through talking to you because of it.

If you can't see how the minimum wage was outpacing inflation and causing MORE inflation because of it then I really don't have anything more to say.

Here's the historical inflation rates of the United States

Please pay very close attention to years following the introduction of the minimum wage, years it was increased significantly, and especially the mid 70s to early 80s.

Then look at what happened to inflation when we stopped practically doubling the minimum wage every 10 years.

Well we always know right wingers likes to blame anything bad on the working poor i mean the crash in 2008 was created by poor people as well wasnt it?

Just pointless to discuss with folks that think the weakest and the most vulnerable in the country is the reason anything bad happens.

We have greedy folks pitching hizzy fits over 14cents on a pizza. It just shows what view of the world they have and it is all GREED GREED GREED and more GREED. And always blame the weakest and the most vulnerable. Even if we put min wage at 1cent the far right would still complain it is too high.

And just want you to know Sweden have no min wage must be a good place for business i mean ZERO min wage but Sweden had 15% inflation in 1980 i know i was around at that time.

And with no min wage laws in Sweden how come Sweden had 15% inflation you just said "" causing MORE inflation "" How can something a country doesnt have cause more inflation it is proof enough that blaming the poor is just the typical right wing scapegoat.

Quote Originally Posted by cymraeg13 View Post
    You have called out nothing but bullshit of your own. The repeal of Glass Steagal is in great part responsible for the 2007 crash, which was blamed on Republicans by the left. These same failed policies have been continued by Obama - there NOW I've mentioned our current Marxist-in-chief.
    I've seen some convoluted shit before, but claiming that Obama blamed the repeal of Glass-Steagall on Republicans is impressive.

Lefties won't let you talk about Clinton.

No matter how many times you explain that Clinton never paid down our gross outstanding debt, only borrowed from different sources they still refuse to admit that he didn't ACTUALLY create a surplus.
    denial of facts, or like Romney said we cant let fact checkers get in our way. just disgusting how the far right constantly wants to rig and lie and cant stay on the facts. or like romney said we cant let fact checkers get in our way. THAT tells everything you need to know about the far right.

And science has a strong salary structure?
    Not generally, no. I picked (sort of lucked into, but whatever) a reasonably strong postdoc position that has a better salary than most.

R01 funding cutoff is at what now, like top 6%?
    This is among the reasons I have no desire at all to work in research going forward. The biggest reason is that I just don't enjoy it though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think equating Grand Vizier Bar-Bar the Magnificent to Karl Marx should automatically disqualify you from any serious discussions on the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Oh, absolutely. California has a higher per capita GDP, lower poverty rate, and is empirically better in many other ways. Indeed, your example of liberal failure is better than your example of conservative success. That seems improbable, but it's emblematic of how big the gap in success between the sets of ideas are.
    I think you should read up on California.

And by read I mean, not Wikipedia.

To say they are collapsing is an insult to the word collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I've seen some convoluted shit before, but claiming that Obama blamed the repeal of Glass-Steagall on Republicans is impressive.
    Except I never wrote that, although I will admit to poor sentence structure. The 2007 crash was blamed on Republicans; remember context clues are your friend.

Except I never wrote that, although I will admit to poor sentence structure. The 2007 crash was blamed on Republicans; remember context clues are your friend.
    You know what's not my friend? People that deliberately distort the meaning of what they wrote despite it being quite transparent. Really, the context is quite clear. Your little quip was quite obviously a jab at Obama. When you got called on your bullshit, you lacked an actual example of it, and it's led to this facade. I think I'm done with it, it stands on its own, and you look silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think your mentioning of "previous administration" was thought to mean Bush.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I think equating Grand Vizier Bar-Bar the Magnificent to Karl Marx should automatically disqualify you from any serious discussions on the topic.
    Sounds like a raid boss.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Dear God. It's ordered by state. Can't you read?
    How rude. Yes, it's ordered alphabetically. By that metric, Alabama is #1. I'm not about to look for which states have the highest scores and order them myself. CBA.

You get a superb education system that helps keep you rich and you think they're overpaid? Fuck it, pay them the levels of Mississippi. See what happens as your state becomes deeply impoverished as everybody moves away.
    The public unions (The teachers have most certainly been the most villainous of the 3 in question) are the entire reason... THE ENTIRE REASON we're in this financial mess we're in. I don't know how much more crystal clear I can make this.

Then don't lay them off? How about you stop making them pay for more stuff they should get and did get? That's a bit of a shitty trick, expecting them to take massive theoretical paycuts. They have mortgages and lives, you know. Most people would revolt at 11% pay cuts.
    You're not actually reading what I'm saying. There's no money TO pay them. None. It's NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.

What's that you say? Raise taxes to pay them? What a great idea. It happens to be one we've had in place since the late 80s. We've been so good at raising taxes (and still needing to borrow money) that our tax burden is second in the entire nation (We're coming for you, New York!).

The teachers' union can honestly get fucked with pinecones. They're nothing but leaches who don't even pay taxes in this state since most of them live in fucking PA.

They haven't been earning their keep and it's time for them to go. Most of them barely have a bachelor's degree. You shouldn't be allowed to fucking teach with a bachelor's degree! Master's at LEAST. That's how Finland does it IIRC.

Eh, it's the area around DC giving them false statistics.
    Got some evidence for that?

Their education system has a whoooole bunch of shit to deal with, not the least some of the biggest numbers of immigrants in America and the gang problems. Education spending includes things like paying for police and security. I doubt Cali is actually substantially putting in more per person.
    Yes New Jersey's education system doesn't have any of that. Nope. Not a thing.

Nevertheless, you found the one "blue" state and bang on about the one "red" state. Overall trends still show you very, very wrong.
    If you want to bitch and moan about the multitude of red states, why don't you accept that they'll continue to be red and then find out what Texas is doing so goddamn right that the rest of the South is fucking up so hard?

And ignore the teacher in number #49 who actually has the education and the statistics to prove his point. Are you sure you aren't anti-intellectual?
    Um... NC was #36 in your list, champ.

Look, I'm telling you that public worker unions having collective bargaining rights are nothing but horse shit. 2 of the 3 wealthiest states in the nation have been fucking bankrupted by them.

Let me repeat that in case I wasn't clear.

2 of the 3 wealthiest states in the nation have been practically bankrupted by public worker unions.

To point it out ONE MORE TIME. NJ and CA have both gone practically bankrupt because of public worker unions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davendwarf View Post
    Sounds like a raid boss.
    Came up with it during the election. It's a position in Islamic governments, so I thought it would be a fitting jab given the idiotic idea thrown about by some Republicans that Obama is secretly a Muslim. My nickname for Romney was Mittens McBumblefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    denial of facts, or like Romney said we cant let fact checkers get in our way. just disgusting how the far right constantly wants to rig and lie and cant stay on the facts. or like romney said we cant let fact checkers get in our way. THAT tells everything you need to know about the far right.
    I'm going to trust PolitiFact over you, champ. They've won a Pulitzer and are famous for being the most nonpartisan political news source around.

What'd you win?

---------- Post added 2012-11-17 at 07:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    Well we always know right wingers likes to blame anything bad on the working poor i mean the crash in 2008 was created by poor people as well wasnt it?
    I'm not blaming poor people. On the contrary, it's the Unions that usually are the biggest lobbyists for minimum wage hikes.

And the 2008 crash was caused by both the banks and people borrowing money they couldn't afford. Blame is shared.

Just pointless to discuss with folks that think the weakest and the most vulnerable in the country is the reason anything bad happens.

We have greedy folks pitching hizzy fits over 14cents on a pizza. It just shows what view of the world they have and it is all GREED GREED GREED and more GREED. And always blame the weakest and the most vulnerable. Even if we put min wage at 1cent the far right would still complain it is too high.

And just want you to know Sweden have no min wage must be a good place for business i mean ZERO min wage but Sweden had 15% inflation in 1980 i know i was around at that time.

And with no min wage laws in Sweden how come Sweden had 15% inflation you just said "" causing MORE inflation "" How can something a country doesnt have cause more inflation it is proof enough that blaming the poor is just the typical right wing scapegoat.
    You're being disingenuous.

Sweden has fairly reasonable corporate tax rates and you know full well that the lack of a legislated minimum wage is offset by the near-ubiquity of unions setting minimum wages in given sectors PRIVATELY.

And please for the love of fuck don't compare Sweden to the US. Their policies creep the shit out of me. I'm not even talking about their taxes or welfare. I'm talking about the absurd amount of regulations and things they can do to people.

xD

Of course it's the Unions.

DAMN THE UNIONS, THEY'RE RUINING THIS COUNTRY!

I love Conservatives. They only have like 3-4 arguments and they cycle endlessly.

10+ Year Old Account
    How rude. Yes, it's ordered alphabetically. By that metric, Alabama is #1. I'm not about to look for which states have the highest scores and order them myself. CBA.
    Then don't complain it's unordered because you're lazy.

The public unions (The teachers have most certainly been the most villainous of the 3 in question) are the entire reason... THE ENTIRE REASON we're in this financial mess we're in. I don't know how much more crystal clear I can make this.
    I think it's the banks tbf

You're not actually reading what I'm saying. There's no money TO pay them. None. It's NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.
    Be that as it may, if someone makes a commitment to pay then they should. What would a slight raise in taxes accomplish? Perhaps a 0.1% raise in the sales tax?

What's that you say? Raise taxes to pay them? What a great idea. It happens to be one we've had in place since the late 80s. We've been so good at raising taxes (and still needing to borrow money) that our tax burden is second in the entire nation (We're coming for you, New York!).
    New Jersey: All Our Tax Revenue Goes To Education!

The teachers' union can honestly get fucked with pinecones. They're nothing but leaches who don't even pay taxes in this state since most of them live in fucking PA.
    I do have a genuine problem with teachers not living in-state to where they teach. It's more a moral and community issue than tax one though.

They haven't been earning their keep and it's time for them to go. Most of them barely have a bachelor's degree. You shouldn't be allowed to fucking teach with a bachelor's degree! Master's at LEAST. That's how Finland does it IIRC.
    But nobody is willing to pay them wages equivalent to a Masters degree though - and I should know. I have one.

Got some evidence for that?
    You were right; it was the built up areas, especially around the coast as well as up by DC

http://www.localschooldirectory.com/...tricts/high/VA

Yes New Jersey's education system doesn't have any of that. Nope. Not a thing.
    Oh no, in a state of 9m people (just under twice the population of Finland) you found two small examples, oh no.

If you want to bitch and moan about the multitude of red states, why don't you accept that they'll continue to be red and then find out what Texas is doing so goddamn right that the rest of the South is fucking up so hard?
    Cos they don't have oil. It's still #31 in the nation.

Yes. Which must upset you as you're too arrogant to even pay attention to the things I say given I teach in South Carolina.

Look, I'm telling you that public worker unions having collective bargaining rights are nothing but horse shit. 2 of the 3 wealthiest states in the nation have been fucking bankrupted by them.
    Have they? Haven't seen it declared in the news. I imagine there's a lot more problems in those governments beyond union workers.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Don't be ridiculous, we simply disagreed. You're not the arbiter or rightness and nor am I.

Nah. It's clearly a lack of pay equivalent to the jobs who also have professional degrees, a lack of homogeneity, a lack of centralised structure, a reliance upon local taxes severely inhibiting poorer districts, a severe disparity in pay between nicer states and poorer states perpetuating the problems, a blatant overreliance on STEM as a solution to all ills and significant social problems of people like you attacking teachers implying education is not worthwhile.

I'd say those are far more important problems.

And I see plenty of reason, given that's where I teach. A significantly shit education system ran by Republicans causes a constant cycle of brain-drain and economic downturn.

Also, who really wants to fund the black schools here? Certainly not the state government.
    You are kidding me, you are a teacher with your willful racist attitude, how the hell do you manage to keep it in check when you are teaching?

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-11-17 at 08:49 AM.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Came up with it during the election. It's a position in Islamic governments, so I thought it would be a fitting jab given the idiotic idea thrown about by some Republicans that Obama is secretly a Muslim. My nickname for Romney was Mittens McBumblefoot.
    I read the bold and can only think of

Also don't forget that Hillary started the whole secret Kenyan thing.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    You are kidding me, you are a teacher with your willful racist attitude, how the hell do you manage to keep it in check when you are teaching?
    Find me any quote where I've been racist?
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    xD

I love Conservatives. They only have like 3-4 arguments and they cycle endlessly.
    Really?

Can you please explain why California and New Jersey are nearly bankrupt and our largest expenses are public employee benefits, pensions and annual raises (Plus cost of living increases)?

I'd simply love to hear what else it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    xD

It is easy to predict where they are going since they always re hash the same old scapegoats. And always the problems are caused by poor people or sick people. I just hope they keep up the insulting views for decades since we will have a lot easier to get them voted out of office when they do.