10+ Year Old Account

Why do other people eating gross me out?

All my life I've been grossed out watching other people eat especially if they chew loud or smack there food or lounge when they eat. I have no clue why. Recently its been worse than normal to the point I almost want to just eat in the other room alone. I have no idea why It angers/disgust me. Anyone else know what I'm talking about? I'm OCD with cleaning/organization I think that may be why I dunno

Well I be damned. I have the EXACT same issue. All my life I have been disgusted by other people's chewing. The wet, mushy sound of the food in their mouths when they chew makes me just want to smack my/their head in. Especially so when they smack loudly. It also astonishes me that absolutely NOONE seems to be able to chew their food without smacking their mouth's. So disgusting. My parents tought me to chew my food with my mouth closed, but that seems to be a lost art, really.

Deleted
    I don't mind people chewing, as long as they don't do it with their mouth open, that's just disgusting too. :c

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infs View Post
    Well I be damned. I have the EXACT same issue. All my life I have been disgusted by other people's chewing. The wet, mushy sound of the food in their mouths when they chew makes me just want to smack my/their head in. Especially so when they smack loudly. It also astonishes me that absolutely NOONE seems to be able to chew their food without smacking their mouth's. So disgusting. My parents tought me to chew my food with my mouth closed, but that seems to be a lost art, really.
    Omg yeah. In HS I got into a massive fight with my best friend of 10 years due to him smacking his mouth when he would eat those nasty pretzels with cheese from the lunch room. I can still see it to this day the cheese smacking in his mouth GRRR HULK SMASH!

I don't have that problem, but what gets me is when someone is talking and I can hear their throat/tongue/lips making noise while they talk. I can't explain it but it is so gross. Maybe the best way to describe it is like... the saliva in their mouth making noise while they talk. UGH!
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

i hate when people chew with mouth open. or talk while chewing. if i see shit fly out of their mouth while doing this i have to turn my head and not look in their general direction again

Deleted
    the same as smelltheglove for me.

Or you talk or you chew and absolutely you chew with the mouth close shut

Guess I'm the weird one, since people eating don't bother me in the slightest.

It's called table manners, and unfortunately, very few people actually have them. I don't really get disgusted easily, but can't really stand watching ill-raised people eat.

Doesn't bother me at all; however, I can't stand people watching me while I eat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Misophonia, that's the name of the condition.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia
    Hope this helps.
    I swear there's a condition that has the exact symptoms you mention.
    I remember reading it here on Mmo-C from another poster...

If I remember, I'll post asap but something tells me another mmo-c'er
    will know the name before it's even off the tip of my tongue.
    Last edited by S Blieft; 2012-11-10 at 08:58 PM.
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by S Blieft View Post
    I swear there's a condition that has the exact symptoms you mention.
    I remember reading it here on Mmo-C from another poster...

If I remember, I'll post asap but something tells me another mmo-c'er
    will know the name before it's even off the tip of my tongue.
    Thank you. That is very interesting because there are certain sounds that drive me nuts. One being my dogs drinking water, or the sound when they are cleaning their paws or whatever the licking sound. It infuriates me instantly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Panoramixe View Post
    Guess I'm the weird one, since people eating don't bother me in the slightest.
    It's not weird at all, it's just about what we find disgusting. For you, it's not disgusting, apparently. For some, it might be, and a lot, like in the case of the OP

Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    the same as smelltheglove for me.

Or you talk or you chew and absolutely you chew with the mouth close shut
    be glad i didnt describe my boss eating doritos. it honestly makes my gorge rise. i'll spare you the details

Deleted
    I don't know... doesn't bother me that people eat. It's a normal thing to do. -_-

Deleted
    Solution: only look at your plate/tv while eating and put some music on so you don't hear their chewing so loudly.

Even with heightened hearing I don't really notice it much. Maybe if you're trying to concentrate, then it gets annoying, otherwise I usually can't hear it over my own equally obnoxious chewing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.