Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Remembrance Sunday

Tomorrow is Remembrance Sunday in the UK. A day in which we remember those that have served in the military, past and present, no matter the conflict. Here's hoping that one day war will be a thing of the past, raise a drink to all those that fought for the freedoms we enjoy today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Sunday

10+ Year Old Account
    Amen to that

I used to be part of the Army Cadet Force, and was involved in a lot of Remembrance Parades. We always got a lot of people thanking us for attending, and representing the Army in their stead.

It is touching though to hear of the people who've lost loved ones, both in past and present conflicts, and how they're proud to see the ACF performing this duty. I always donate a lot of money to the Poppy Appeal, and I hope to attend this years Parade, unless work is mounting up.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Tomorrow is Remembrance Sunday in the UK. A day in which we remember those that have served in the military, past and present, no matter the conflict. Here's hoping that one day war will be a thing of the past, raise a drink to all those that fought for the freedoms we enjoy today.
    Here, here. Especially in a day and age where to commemorate the sacrifices made in the World War is to be a Right-Wing loon according to certain holier-than-thou and self-proclaimed 'enlightened' youths in their university years.

Be that as it may, I have a general sort of question. Having recently returned from Ireland/Dublin, i'm still left uncertain as to where the Irish stand on the Poppy; WW1 i'm uncertain of, but to my knowledge there were indeed Irish regiments/soldiers who played their part in WW2. Is there any reasonable basis for the Irish not to wear a Poppy, or at least dislike/ignore the concept, beyond the not atypical post-Troubles (Or perhaps even post-century) anti-British ethos?
    Last edited by Austilias; 2012-11-10 at 08:12 PM.

Deleted
    I will be attending a parade tomorrow afternoon then will get completely plastered for free in the Officers mess afterwards, its what they would have wanted.

I will be attending a parade tomorrow afternoon then will get completely plastered for free in the Officers mess afterwards, its what they would have wanted.
    Indeed it is, indeed it is!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Here, here. Especially in a day and age where to commemorate the sacrifices made in the World War is to be a Right-Wing loon according to certain holier-than-thou and self-proclaimed 'enlightened' youths in their university years.

Be that as it may, I have a general sort of question. Having recently returned from Ireland/Dublin, i'm still left uncertain as to where the Irish stand on the Poppy; WW1 i'm uncertain of, but to my knowledge there were indeed Irish regiments/soldiers who played their part in WW2. Is there any reasonable basis for the Irish not to wear a Poppy beyond the not atypical post-Troubles (Or perhaps even post-century) anti-British ethos?
    The Poppy is a universal symbol of bloodshed, it commemorates blood shed on both sides, not just the allies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_poppy

Deleted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Sunday
    Nah you can keep it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_%281920%29

Deleted
    /salute to all service personnel active, none active, retired, and resting in peace.
    The service to your country is never forgotten.

The Poppy is a universal symbol of bloodshed, it commemorates blood shed on both sides, not just the allies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_poppy
    Ah I see. Unsurprisingly, my native Northern Ireland triumphs in stupidity yet again when I read stuff like this;

In Northern Ireland, the day is ignored or opposed by many Irish nationalists/republicans who see it as associated with unionism and the British Army.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    Yeah, its not like any Irish died in both world wars, right? The poppy remembers ALL life lost, so keep that bullshit attitude to yourself.

The day began with an Irish Republican Army (IRA) operation to assassinate the Cairo Gang, a team of undercover British agents working and living in Dublin. Twelve were British Army officers, one a member of the Royal Irish Constabulary and the last a civilian informant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_%281920%29

The British did not start Bloody Sunday.

Be that as it may, I have a general sort of question. Having recently returned from Ireland/Dublin, i'm still left uncertain as to where the Irish stand on the Poppy; WW1 i'm uncertain of, but to my knowledge there were indeed Irish regiments/soldiers who played their part in WW2. Is there any reasonable basis for the Irish not to wear a Poppy, or at least dislike/ignore the concept, beyond the not atypical post-Troubles (Or perhaps even post-century) anti-British ethos?
    This isn't directed at you specifically, but the situation you're mentioning.

The poppy is about raising funds for those who've lost their lives in past and present conflicts around the world. It isn't about War, Alliances or Politics. It is a symbol to encapulate our desire to support those that in whatever conflict and whatever side you were on, you did what was right at the time (generally speaking). The Poppy Appeal helps people who still suffer from Wars that are long gone and those that are returning form Afghanistan today.

If I saw someone refuse to wear a poppy or support it because they're Irish, i'd slap the fucker silly. No matter who you are, no matter what your views on War are, buy a damn poppy. Without those brave Men & Women who died and are dying to protect you, you'd be nothing.

I think you're getting Bloody Sunday and the World Wars mixed up. Then again those of what I presume to be your persuasion never were very good or truthful with history. I wonder what the reasoning will be for a still ununited Ireland by 2016...

Deleted
    The massacre of innocent men, women and children watching a football match inside a stadium by British forces using armored vehicles and whatever else.

I think you're getting Bloody Sunday and the World Wars mixed up. Then again those of what I presume to be your persuasion never were very good or truthful with history. I wonder what the reasoning will be for a still ununited Ireland by 2016...
    The Poppy isn't just about World War 1 or 2, but I agree. To not donate / buy a poppy because of a small situation (Compared to WW1/2) then you're one of the most pathetic scum bags I've ever known.

---------- Post added 2012-11-10 at 08:19 PM ----------

The massacre of innocent men, women and children watching a football match inside a stadium by British forces using armored vehicles and whatever else.
    So those who've lost their Husbands in Afghanistan deserve to be without support from the Poppy Appeal, and those who returned from various conflicts around the world deserve to have their treatment stopped or unsupported by the Poppy Appeal because of something done by a minority?

You're a fool.

Do you have the dates for when these events happened during WW1 or WW2; you know, the events that Remembrance Sunday commemorates? Or, if it's the case that you maintain a disdain for an entire nationality for their more recent actions and maintain that those actions negate all the actions taken in the past, you may as well get started on hating the Greeks for all the rioting and racism that's emerged over there recently; despite the fact that they gave us...democracy.

Deleted
    On November 20, the assassination teams, which included the Squad and members of the IRA's Dublin Brigade, were briefed on their targets, who included 20 agents at eight different locations in Dublin.[5] Collins's plan had been to kill over 50 British intelligence officers and informers, but the list was reduced to 35 on the insistence of Cathal Brugha, the Irish Minister for Defence, on the grounds that there was insufficient evidence against some of those named.[7]

Yeah, those innocent IRA.......

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    The Poppy isn't just about World War 1 or 2, but I agree. To not donate / buy a poppy because of a small situation (Compared to WW1/2) then you're one of the most pathetic scum bags I've ever known.

---------- Post added 2012-11-10 at 08:19 PM ----------

So those who've lost their Husbands in Afghanistan deserve to be without support from the Poppy Appeal, and those who returned from various conflicts around the world deserve to have their treatment stopped or unsupported by the Poppy Appeal because of something done by a minority?

You're a fool.
    Not at all, support whatever I won't as I have my own opinion and I will share my opinion as others here too.

On November 20, the assassination teams, which included the Squad and members of the IRA's Dublin Brigade, were briefed on their targets, who included 20 agents at eight different locations in Dublin.[5] Collins's plan had been to kill over 50 British intelligence officers and informers, but the list was reduced to 35 on the insistence of Cathal Brugha, the Irish Minister for Defence, on the grounds that there was insufficient evidence against some of those named.[7]

Yeah, those innocent IRA.......
    Do you have the dates for when these events happened during WW1 or WW2; you know, the events that Remembrance Sunday commemorates? Or, if it's the case that you maintain a disdain for an entire nationality for their more recent actions and maintain that those actions negate all the actions taken in the past, you may as well get started on hating the Greeks for all the rioting and racism that's emerged over there recently; despite the fact that they gave us...democracy.
    Don't bother with this guy. Their opinion was probably passed down from their daddy, who probably hated the English because his daddy did, and he got it from his daddy, and his daddy got it from his daddy...

People who think like that won't change, and typically are the cause of such events that he is using against the Poppy Appeal.

---------- Post added 2012-11-10 at 08:23 PM ----------

Not at all, support whatever I won't as I have my own opinion and I will share my opinion as others here too.
    The great thing about opinons are, that sometimes they are wrong. Without the efforts of those in both World Wars your grandparents would've died and you'd not exist. You think that you're above giving a mere 50 pence to show your gratitude to those that allowed you to live?