Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey there mate.

For starters, i highly reccomend you to start using a Gainer, they are really good. Mutant mass or Super mass are two good ones.

Other than that its not so much about how MUCH you lift, considering you need to get the exercises right. Considering ur height you should start with really, really light weights for about two months before attempting anything heavier (Ofcourse you adjust this on the go).
    Im ur height, and i made the mistake to lift too heavy. My shoulder went caput and had to train it up for two months. Also, remember to stretch out after every session.

Try to eat four times a day, at roughly the same times. Coupple that with 3 gainer shakes-per day and you will notice a weight gain. Also, eat somewhat proper.
    AkA Companiet !
    #Wildstar2013

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Companiet View Post
    Hey there mate.

For starters, i highly reccomend you to start using a Gainer, they are really good. Mutant mass or Super mass are two good ones.

Other than that its not so much about how MUCH you lift, considering you need to get the exercises right. Considering ur height you should start with really, really light weights for about two months before attempting anything heavier (Ofcourse you adjust this on the go).
    Im ur height, and i made the mistake to lift too heavy. My shoulder went caput and had to train it up for two months. Also, remember to stretch out after every session.

Try to eat four times a day, at roughly the same times. Coupple that with 3 gainer shakes-per day and you will notice a weight gain. Also, eat somewhat proper.
    Dont buy gainers, its a waste of money.

Hey there mate.

Stretching serves no real importance unless you need to increase flexibility. Indeed, stretching can decrease performance if your not training for something that requires a lot of flexibility. Lifters should rarely if ever stretch. Runners should NEVER stretch.

If you want to reduce muscle pain, you should do a warmup set before each exercise of a lighter weight. That is the only thing that has been shown to be effective. Stretching before or after lifting does nothing for you in the short term, whether it be reduce injury or pain. Stretching only reduces injury in the long term if you have poor flexibility to begin with.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-11-11 at 03:52 PM.

-Hamburger Helper
    -Whole Milk
    -Peanut Butter
    -Fucking Cheese
    -Ground Beef

Things you can eat that 1) are easy to eat a lot of 2) have protein and 3) are cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Stretching serves no real importance unless you need to increase flexibility. Indeed, stretching can decrease performance if your not training for something that requires a lot of flexibility. Lifters should rarely if ever stretch. Runners should NEVER stretch.

If you want to reduce muscle pain, you should do a warmup set before each exercise of a lighter weight. That is the only thing that has been shown to be effective. Stretching before or after lifting does nothing for you in the short term, whether it be reduce injury or pain. Stretching only reduces injury in the long term if you have poor flexibility to begin with.
    Dynamic stretching is great. You'd also be surprised how many people are so physically restricted in their hip flexors/etc. that they can't properly squat.

Eat loads of peanutbutter for a start.
    "It's Better To Burn Out than To Fade Away"

Deleted
    Go to the gym, it feels good, makes you stronger and would probably also get you to the right weight!

increase HEALTHY food intake and lift weights/do squats/push-ups as well.
    I you want to gain weight, focus on muscle gain.
    But the BMI is total crap, I wouldn't pay any attention to it. I've seen people with a BMI of 17.5 or 27.5 who are healthier than me.

10+ Year Old Account

try training 5 times a week then come back here and say no stretching=A okay.

Id like to see how fucked up ur triceps would get after a while.

And please, take ur "runners should never stretch" and go back to ur cave. Holy shit thats the biggest bullshit ive heard in ages.
    AkA Companiet !
    #Wildstar2013

Stretching is important not only for martial arts and increase flexibility, but it prevents injuries like pulling a muscle. Increase flexibility will help combat injuries.

try training 5 times a week then come back here and say no stretching=A okay.

Id like to see how fucked up ur triceps would get after a while.

And please, take ur "runners should never stretch" and go back to ur cave. Holy shit thats the biggest bullshit ive heard in ages.
    I run 30-40 miles a week and lift 4 days a week. I get tension in the muscles every now and then and I get a massage to help with it. Stretching does NOTHING to prevent injury unless that injury is a direct result of lack of flexibility. Yes, stretching may help you if you have poor hip flexors but I specifically stated that lifters may benefit from some stretching. Runners, on the other hand, are NEVER benefited from stretching because flexibility is never an issue for them. In fact, runners tend to perform worse because of stretching.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1250267/
    Conclusions: The data on stretching and muscle soreness indicate that, on average, individuals will observe a reduction in soreness of less than 2 mm on a 100-mm scale during the 72 hours after exercise. With respect to risk of injury, the combined risk reduction of 5% indicates that the stretching protocols used in these studies do not meaningfully reduce lower extremity injury risk of army recruits undergoing military training.

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Ab...ost_and.2.aspx
    Practical Applications
    Static stretching has been used during the warm-up routine of several athletes. However, our results show that static stretching may impair endurance performance up to 60 minutes and increase caloric expenditure. Even though the increments in caloric expenditure were low (~5%), it may produce some advantage to the runner at the end of close competitions. Therefore, static stretching should be avoided before endurance events, at least for young male endurance runners. The effect of other forms of stretching (i.e., dynamic stretching) on endurance performance remains to be tested.

http://andrewvs.blogs.com/files/stre...ent-injury.pdf
    The findings of the present study clearly indicate that a typical preexercise stretching protocol does not produce a clinically useful reduction in injury risk. Our best estimate of the effect of stretching is that it reduces all-injury risk by 5%, and we are able to rule out a 23% or greater reduction in injury risk with 95% certainty. When these results are expressed in absolute terms, the futility of stretching becomes apparent. Recruits stretched for 40 sessions over the course of training, and so, on average, each recruit would need to stretch for 3100 physical training sessions to prevent one injury. As it took 5 min to complete the stretches, an average of 260 h of stretching would be required to prevent one injury (95% CI 50 h to prevent one injury to 65 h to produce one injury).

Please stop speaking out of your moronic and uneducated ass. Thanks.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-11-11 at 09:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eat fast-food, drink Vodka and beer.

Yo OP, i have your exact same problem. I weigh 115 pounds (5ft 5) and I go to the gym 3x a week. The main problem becomes eating a lot of calories consistently. If you mess up for just a few days, it's like going back to square one and it's incredibly aggravating. Try to eat a lot of high calorie foods, keep a bunch of nuts on hand to munch on, eat plenty of rice and do your best, I personally know it's really hard to gain weight. The maximum I've gotten to personally is 120 and the dream of 128-130 seems light years away.

Keep at it man.

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 04:20 PM ----------

I run 30-40 miles a week and lift 4 days a week. I get tension in the muscles every now and then and I get a massage to help with it. Stretching does NOTHING to prevent injury unless that injury is a direct result of lack of flexibility. Yes, stretching may help you if you have poor hip flexors but I specifically stated that lifters may benefit from some stretching. Runners, on the other hand, are NEVER benefited from stretching because flexibility is never an issue for them. In fact, runners tend to perform worse because of stretching.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1250267/
    Conclusions: The data on stretching and muscle soreness indicate that, on average, individuals will observe a reduction in soreness of less than 2 mm on a 100-mm scale during the 72 hours after exercise. With respect to risk of injury, the combined risk reduction of 5% indicates that the stretching protocols used in these studies do not meaningfully reduce lower extremity injury risk of army recruits undergoing military training.

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Ab...ost_and.2.aspx
    Practical Applications
    Static stretching has been used during the warm-up routine of several athletes. However, our results show that static stretching may impair endurance performance up to 60 minutes and increase caloric expenditure. Even though the increments in caloric expenditure were low (~5%), it may produce some advantage to the runner at the end of close competitions. Therefore, static stretching should be avoided before endurance events, at least for young male endurance runners. The effect of other forms of stretching (i.e., dynamic stretching) on endurance performance remains to be tested.

Please stop speaking out of your moronic and uneducated ass. Thanks.
    Stretching increases your flexibility, which is crucial in a lot of sports involving running, such as vaulting, jumping over obstacles, any sort of martial arts and a good preparation if you intend to stretch your muscles past their comfortable limit during exercise. Just because you run 40 miles a week doesn't mean stretching does nothing. Just because you lift 4 days a week doesn't mean stretching does nothing. Any kind of abrupt twisting motion (which may happen for whatever reason be it accident in the gym or what have you) can fuck up your back and any over extension of your muscles has a higher chance of damaging it if you don't stretch properly.

This is especially true if you work triceps since you spend most tricep workouts stretching them to their limits. Don't give us your weekly workout resume like it is supposed to show us you know what you're doing.

EDIT: I just reread your post and I didn't realize you were talking specifically about runners. I apologize, you were right. But you may want to keep in mind that some people are woefully inflexible to the point of being unable to reach past their knees. In this case, you have to stretch beforehand because your hamstrings need a very small amount of flexibility before u can run. Again, this is is someone has literally never run for a long long time. The articles you linked are talking about people who run all the time.
    Last edited by Dragoncurry; 2012-11-11 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post
    Yo OP, i have your exact same problem. I weigh 115 pounds (5ft 5) and I go to the gym 3x a week. The main problem becomes eating a lot of calories consistently. If you mess up for just a few days, it's like going back to square one and it's incredibly aggravating. Try to eat a lot of high calorie foods, keep a bunch of nuts on hand to munch on, eat plenty of rice and do your best, I personally know it's really hard to gain weight. The maximum I've gotten to personally is 120 and the dream of 128-130 seems light years away.

Keep at it man.

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 04:20 PM ----------

Stretching increases your flexibility, which is crucial in a lot of sports involving running, such as vaulting, jumping over obstacles, any sort of martial arts and a good preparation if you intend to stretch your muscles past their comfortable limit during exercise. Just because you run 40 miles a week doesn't mean stretching does nothing. Just because you lift 4 days a week doesn't mean stretching does nothing. Any kind of abrupt twisting motion (which may happen for whatever reason be it accident in the gym or what have you) can fuck up your back and any over extension of your muscles has a higher chance of damaging it if you don't stretch properly.

This is especially true if you work triceps since you spend most tricep workouts stretching them to their limits. Don't give us your weekly workout resume like it is supposed to show us you know what you're doing.
    Edit: I retract what I wrote as I saw your edit.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-11-11 at 09:43 PM.

6'5" 150 is a stick man, you can't gain a lot of weight without waiting 10 years for your metabolism to slow down enough (and then you're gonna get a gut only) or use steroids

just focus on being healthy because later on that will matter more. you are simply not going to gain weight.

if you ate 6,000 calories a day and lifted 2 hours a day, you'd be lucky to gain 15 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    6'5" 150 is a stick man, you can't gain a lot of weight without waiting 10 years for your metabolism to slow down enough (and then you're gonna get a gut only) or use steroids

just focus on being healthy because later on that will matter more. you are simply not going to gain weight.

if you ate 6,000 calories a day and lifted 2 hours a day, you'd be lucky to gain 15 lbs
    He could use steroids if it is legal where he lives.

you need to eat more calories, its as simple as that. Use one of the weight gain calculators and it'll tell you how many calories you need to eat each day to gain weight. Go to the gym 3-4 times a week if you can, have a couple protein shakes a day and count your calories. If you have trouble getting in the necessary calories, eat calorie dense foods. Stay away from eating foods like lean chicken breast & brown rice, that's only if you're trying to shred which is not what your goal is. If you count your calories daily & meet the mins, you will gain weight.

Also count your blessings you are very young too! It's ideal to eat around 5 meals throughout the day, roughly 3 hours between each meal. Aim around ~600 calories per meal if you're looking to gain. Try and incorporate protein into each meal. Tins of tuna are great as they can be fairly cheap (90 cents here in Australia). Being afraid of carbs is a thing of the past so having a good balance of carbs will be very good for weight gain. As for exercise, forgoing cardio is not ideal and the best thing to do is interval training, preferably as soon as you wake up (no food!). Interval training helps your fast twitch muscle fibers and you will get a leaner body. For weight training, aim to do it around midday/afternoon and work different parts each day. Don't forget to have rest days.
    These practices are great for losing weight but great for gaining weight too, just increase your calorie intake (not by a lot though!)
    Good luck

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    you need to eat more calories, its as simple as that. Use one of the weight gain calculators and it'll tell you how many calories you need to eat each day to gain weight. Go to the gym 3-4 times a week if you can, have a couple protein shakes a day and count your calories. If you have trouble getting in the necessary calories, eat calorie dense foods. Stay away from eating foods like lean chicken breast & brown rice, that's only if you're trying to shred which is not what your goal is. If you count your calories daily & meet the mins, you will gain weight.
    Cant tell this guy to use a calorie calculator as he has a fat metabolism. When i use a calculator it tells me to eat 2500 calories to gain weight, but when i hear 3800 theres barelly any difference.

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 12:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by FatRastafarian View Post
    Also count your blessings you are very young too! It's ideal to eat around 5 meals throughout the day, roughly 3 hours between each meal. Aim around ~600 calories per meal if you're looking to gain. Try and incorporate protein into each meal. Tins of tuna are great as they can be fairly cheap (90 cents here in Australia). Being afraid of carbs is a thing of the past so having a good balance of carbs will be very good for weight gain. As for exercise, forgoing cardio is not ideal and the best thing to do is interval training, preferably as soon as you wake up (no food!). Interval training helps your fast twitch muscle fibers and you will get a leaner body. For weight training, aim to do it around midday/afternoon and work different parts each day. Don't forget to have rest days.
    These practices are great for losing weight but great for gaining weight too, just increase your calorie intake (not by a lot though!)
    Good luck
    Ideal to eat 5 meals a day? For who?
    It DOES NOT MATTER when you eat. Its the amount of calories that matters.
    Same goes for weight lifting / exercise in general, does not matter when you do it in the day aslong as you do it.

I can tell you from personal experience that gaining weight is easy, but as you get older it's hard as hell to get rid of. Therefore if you want to gain weight make sure it's muscle and don't over do it. This means no 10,000 calorie weight gaining shakes or any other crazy supplements.

Best exercises to gain muscle are dead-lifts and squats, I also love straight leg dead-lifts. I'd get a trainer to make sure your form is proper and then build a solid routine.

I'll link to a routine that I had great success with.

http://www.projectswole.com/weight-t...ngth-training/