Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Tips for lock leveling?

Hey I have decided to roll a warlock, which will be my first caster. I have always played melee and never tried a mage type character. I was just wondering which spec would be best to quest with and if there are any warlock type things ( quests,items etc) I can do/obtain while leveling to keep me entertained. Thanks

Havnt been low level lock in ages I'm sure it's changed heaps from the sl/sl days. But I think demo is the way to go. You get felguard at lvl 10 and he tanks pretty good. Destro might be a good choice but not sure if it two shots mobs at low levels.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnx014 View Post
    Hey I have decided to roll a warlock, which will be my first caster. I have always played melee and never tried a mage type character. I was just wondering which spec would be best to quest with and if there are any warlock type things ( quests,items etc) I can do/obtain while leveling to keep me entertained. Thanks
    Heeeeeeeeeey, stop! Hammertime!

Mages are warlock type-characters. Not the other way around. Fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    Welcome to your first expension to an MMO, ever. While there were issues, it was a smooth launch, more or less.

If this WASN'T your first expansion to an MMO, please wait patiently while I look for nice and sturdy palm tree to ram your face against.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    i dont remember low level, but once you get to high level i would strongly reccomend levelling as affliction with voidlord. he tanks extremely well, soulburn: health funnel will make him damn near invincible, you can use soulburn: soulswap to apply all dots, then haunt and as long as you remember to kill the mob with drain soul you will have almost no downtime.

spec demo at low lvl, at lvl 30 get affli as dualspec, at lvl 80+ change to affli or outsite instances, dots + voidlord is pretty relaxed

in instnaces i would stick with demo since most mobs die in a few globals and you will be happy that your pet does some dmg for you

10+ Year Old Account
    There are a few class quests on lower level. The 1 in Shadowfang Keep for a weapon that all classes have, warlocks get a pretty sweet Scythe model staff. There's also the quest Stones of Binding that takes you to Blackrock Mountain instances and rewards you with the tier 1 replica Horns headpiece.

I think there's a 3rd too, but can't remember it now.

10+ Year Old Account
    low levels are really not difficult for any spec or any class for that matter. Demo is particularly fun at early levels because you get metamorphosis so early, but feel free to play around with various specs

leveling is the best time to learn the mechanics of each specs so you can play them optimally

Deleted
    Do you like to burst down one-two things at the time, but so fast you'll actually want to report Blizzard for a potential bug in the class and you like to use fire? Go Destro!
    Do you want your killing to proceed smoothly, pull several mobs and have damage over time spells on each one, and you like using shadow magic? Go Affliction.
    Do you like to mass-pull everything in sight, including several yellow neutral mobs (just because they're there) and AOE them down all and you like a bit of both fire and shadow? Go demo!

Which spec you would like to play at max level, also influences this wildly.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Havnt been low level lock in ages I'm sure it's changed heaps from the sl/sl days. But I think demo is the way to go. You get felguard at lvl 10 and he tanks pretty good. Destro might be a good choice but not sure if it two shots mobs at low levels.
    Felguard at level 10?

10+ Year Old Account
    voildwalker? you mean?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TiagoRamos View Post
    Felguard at level 10?
    Summon Felguard comes at level 42.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    voildwalker? you mean?
    Grimoire of Supremacy gives you Summon Voidlord, the empowered voidwalker.

Weird I heard somewhere that felguard comes at lvl 10 but oh well

LOl you said it. its wrong :P

Quote Originally Posted by Greymalkin View Post
    Do you like to burst down one-two things at the time, but so fast you'll actually want to report Blizzard for a potential bug in the class and you like to use fire? Go Destro!
    Do you want your killing to proceed smoothly, pull several mobs and have damage over time spells on each one, and you like using shadow magic? Go Affliction.
    Do you like to mass-pull everything in sight, including several yellow neutral mobs (just because they're there) and AOE them down all and you like a bit of both fire and shadow? Go demo!

Which spec you would like to play at max level, also influences this wildly.
    I think this is a bit misleading. The Felguard does great damage (the best out of the pets, actually) but he's weak as hell when you're mass pulling. Even with Soul Link and Blood Funnel. Only do demo if you plan to dungeon all the way up to 85. Destro works for dungeons too.

I personally recommend Affliction for questing. With MoP the Voidwalker/Voidlord (they're the same pet, the voidwalker turns into the voidlord with Grimoire of Supremacy talent) have massively improved AI and will actively try to pull mobs off of you. The Voidwalker can heal itself and can tank many things before coming even close to death. Once you get Soulburn at level 19 you can instantly summon a new pet for those rare times when the Voidwalker actually dies.

Also what you level with should have nothing to do with what you play at max level even though Affliction is currently the best raiding spec 9 times out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Weird I heard somewhere that felguard comes at lvl 10 but oh well
    It did in Cataclysm.

I'm glad they changed it so newer players can experiment with all the demons, but you're probably experienced to know what you want. But hey at least you have meta at level 10 now :-D

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Any leveling experience from before MoP is pretty much useless, everything has changed.

I've leveled a lock the last few weeks, and I'm currently 68. Been trying all three specs fairly extensively during that time. From 10-47, none of the specs is clearly superior so you can really go with whatever you prefer. I found Destro to be the most effective though.

47-68, Destro is completely superior, once you learn how to use Shadowburn and Chaos Bolt effectively. In outlands gear, your Chaos Bolt will do 80-100% of a mobs HP, and if you then can finish off with the Shadowburn, you'll get the embers back. This combines extremely well with Havoc.

The problem with Affliction at low lvls is simply that the dots don't do enough dmg. All three dots will do maybe 40-50% of a mobs hp, meaning multi-dotting doesn't work. When it comes to Demo, the dmg is simply lower than for Destro, and the Metamorphis ability is pretty useless because you don't get the good abilities until very high lvls.

I should mention this is my experience leveling without heirlooms. If you are in full heirlooms, maybe the Affliction dots will do enough dmg to make multi-dotting work, I dunno.

I have a lvl 68 lock, started post-MoP (with heirlooms). I've been demo exclusively the whole time. For soloing/questing, I have Soul Link with the voidwalker out. Mobs are not very densely packed anymore, so I round up 3-4 with corruption, drop a Hand, voidwalker taunts them all and the imp army burns em down. Very simple, and completely overpowered. I'm sure this is due to the heirlooms. I've had no reason so far to try destro/aff, because demo is quite smooth. I don't even bother with demon form unless I get in trouble or need to fight something way above my level (and thus, am likely in trouble...)

I'm not sure why the poster above would say only do demo if instancing to 85. I may need to try out affliction just to compare, but demo certainly isn't holding me back.
    Last edited by Daagar; 2012-11-10 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnx014 View Post
    Get out.

Perterters.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have not leveled a warlock frokm level 1 in about 5 years so not sure how all the talent and class changes make it now but destruction has always been very fun for me and it's very strong when killing multiple enemies.