Deleted

Arms to Fury - I need your help and opinions

My Armoury: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ithus/advanced

Hello, everyone.

I've always been arms since I went Warrior in Cataclysm. I never had a problem with my spec, as I PvP'ed during that expansion, and arms was the PvP spec, and still is now. However, I PvE in MoP now, and I leveled as Arms.

I really enjoy Arms because I'm comfortable with the rotation and I find it fun. While I have raided as arms and am currently 6/6 and 2/6, I've had in the back of my mind that while I do not have any DPS problems, I'm always aware that Fury has been the more popular spec for PvE.

I brought this up to my raid leader just casually saying, 'I've noticed that more people PvE as fury. Maybe I should switch as well.' Sadly he replied saying yes, it might be a good idea. I really like arms, and I feel forced to go fury.

So here is my situation. I have Normal Starshatter, I don't have problems with DPS (I'm top 1-3 dps in my raids) and I enjoy Arms.

1. What is your opinion on arms versus fury - Do more people go fury than arms? Is fury a DPS increase? Which is more fun?
    2. If I end up going fury, when is a good time to do that - Do I need to get a certain stat up before I think about going fury?
    3. What is better, SMF or Titan's grip - Bear in mind that I have normal starshatter, a 2 hander, and currently nothing else.

Thank you for reading and I appreciate any responses. (The more detailed the better )
    Last edited by mmoccc3932e217; 2012-11-11 at 12:54 AM.

1. Ive been arms for all of heroic progression and I haven't seen a fury log that out does any of my arms logs so far, more people play fury but I think its more inconsistent until very good gear and can be frustrating, arms can be too and does suffer from rng with tfb which cannot be outgeared like enrage can for fury. Also fury does scale better than arms so late tier it will liekly be better but atm Ive simcrafted by gear all the way from 463 to 492 i lv and arms has always been ahead, but i think 1h fury with 2 set and heroic weps seems to pull ahead.
    2. You need a lot of crit for fury to be consistent enough to have decent RB uptime otherwise it can be frustrating to play, id aim for over 20% at least unbuffed crit but as much as possible really.
    3. 1h > 2h for fury but its close and comes down to which weapons you have available to you, so if you have an epic 2h then 2h fury would likely be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Opeth69 View Post
    1. Ive been arms for all of heroic progression and I haven't seen a fury log that out does any of my arms logs so far, more people play fury but I think its more inconsistent until very good gear and can be frustrating, arms can be too and does suffer from rng with tfb which cannot be outgeared like enrage can for fury. Also fury does scale better than arms so late tier it will liekly be better but atm Ive simcrafted by gear all the way from 463 to 492 i lv and arms has always been ahead, but i think 1h fury with 2 set and heroic weps seems to pull ahead.
    2. You need a lot of crit for fury to be consistent enough to have decent RB uptime otherwise it can be frustrating to play, id aim for over 20% at least unbuffed crit but as much as possible really.
    3. 1h > 2h for fury but its close and comes down to which weapons you have available to you, so if you have an epic 2h then 2h fury would likely be better.
    Then I wonder what you're doing since this clearly states that fury is tons better dps (SMF that is) http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overa...default/#60000

And this log is for 10-man HC http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overa...default/#60000

Deleted
    Well, I went around different top guilds rosters and the majority of Warriors were Arms, so far. I'm still undecided on which to go, but I'd prefer to stay arms. I really dislike when I feel like I could be doing something sub-optimally, though, especially when regarding something as big as a spec. More opinions would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Sareth View Post
    Well, I went around different top guilds rosters and the majority of Warriors were Arms, so far. I'm still undecided on which to go, but I'd prefer to stay arms. I really dislike when I feel like I could be doing something sub-optimally, though, especially when regarding something as big as a spec. More opinions would be great.
    My post was a reply for the other poster. I just question what he does as he says that arms are better than fury atm, which isn't correct.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aggression View Post
    My post was a reply for the other poster. I just question what he does as he says that arms are better than fury atm, which isn't correct.
    I know, I was sort of just posting to update the thread and say that I've seen a lot more Warriors that are Arms in top guilds. I seen a Warrior in Method, and he had 24% crit, but he was arms, not fury. Obviously the graph that you linked shows fury being better, but so far the evidence that I've seen shows that arms and fury are sort of equal. I could be wrong though. I'm stuck on what to do ;P

I know, I was sort of just posting to update the thread and say that I've seen a lot more Warriors that are Arms in top guilds. I seen a Warrior in Method, and he had 24% crit, but he was arms, not fury. Obviously the graph that you linked shows fury being better, but so far the evidence that I've seen shows that arms and fury are sort of equal. I could be wrong though. I'm stuck on what to do ;P
    Do as I did, get a SMF-setup and go LFR with it, then same but as arms. You can even record it as combatlog and compare afterwards To me, fury was about 7-10% higher in dmg.

This is most likely due to heroic Garalon progression, but since the bug fix arms is no longer leagues ahead of fury for that fight. Previously the damage buff on the legs was also double dipping for cleaves on the boss. They hotfixed this so your sweeping strikes will now only do 50% of 100% your damage instead of 50% of 200%.

In reality it just comes down to whichever you can play better and what weapons you have access to. Fury does have the potential to be much higher dps being so proc reliant, but this also goes the other way.

I personally just love how ridiculous SMF's execute phase is. On normal Gara'jal this week I went from 11th dps to 1st (67k up to 94k with blue weapons!) just from execute.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoragar View Post
    This is most likely due to heroic Garalon progression, but since the bug fix arms is no longer leagues ahead of fury for that fight. Previously the damage buff on the legs was also double dipping for cleaves on the boss. They hotfixed this so your sweeping strikes will now only do 50% of 100% your damage instead of 50% of 200%.

In reality it just comes down to whichever you can play better and what weapons you have access to. Fury does have the potential to be much higher dps being so proc reliant, but this also goes the other way.

I personally just love how ridiculous SMF's execute phase is. On normal Gara'jal this week I went from 11th dps to 1st (67k up to 94k with blue weapons!) just from execute.
    So, just stay Arms for now and maybe worrying about going Fury further down the line?

Like I say, I don't have trouble with arms dps and I find it pretty fun, so I can't see much reason for going fury right now apart from maybe a slight dps increase.
    Last edited by mmoccc3932e217; 2012-11-11 at 02:55 AM.

raid bots isnt the best method to use to determine the best spec, if 100 people play arms and 10000 play fury and you take the top 50 from each spec which one will show on top? I know thats a bad way of explaining it but its pretty much what raid bots does. Also a lot of guilds have private logs that don't contribute to those stats which messes things up even more, for eg I did 201kdps on heroic elegon 25m last reset, but as these logs haven't showed up as public raidbots doesn't take it into account when it shows the max/min for each spec and fight. Arms is a lot better than people think, try downloading simcraft, sim your gear as arms/fury and compare as for me arms was always coming out ahead and in raids too, in the end though the difference comes down to playstyle and what you prefer, if you hate arms play fury, if you hate fury play arms. Its only really end tier when we have full heroic gear or 4 set that 1h fury starts to pull ahead and by then everything will liekly be on farm so optimal specs aren;t as big an issue.

If you are trying fury go 1h its more forgiving with mistakes at times, so much dmg comes from auto attack and execute you can pretty much ride that for a fight and be messing up rage pooling/cd stacking for CS and still do well, there's also a lot of rng with fury which can lead to insane burst and some pretty comedic numbers if the stars align, but it also go the other way that's why personaly im waiting to get 2 x heroic 1h's as smf seems to smooth out the rng of fury somewhat, until then im staying arms.
    Last edited by Opeth69; 2012-11-11 at 03:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imo you should try both spec and decide which is better for you. Atm i got a lil'buit higher ilev than you (481) and 2 starshatters from rf sadly, and sit at 24% of crit. Fury is more and more stable but still i sometimes got trouble on elegon sparks for example when literally nothing proc, and i need to finish spark off. For me arms is better because right now is far more steady damage than "spike style" fury.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aggression View Post
    Then I wonder what you're doing since this clearly states that fury is tons better dps (SMF that is) http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overa...default/#60000

And this log is for 10-man HC http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overa...default/#60000
    Fury has the higher potential to parse top logs due to the RNG nature of the spec. Look at the link http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overa...default/#60000 you gave and change the 'top 100 logs' to 'all sparses' and you'll see that Arms currently is higher than Fury. The deviation of Fury dps is way higher than Arms'. Arms is more consistent dps with less deviation from an average number.
    So stay Arms if you like it more . If you want to destroy meters occasionally, go Fury.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fury has the POTENTIAL to beat arms on almost every fight. It's better on some on average, and worse on others on average. It's far more RNG due to crit %. As crit % increases, the RNG factor will decrease slightly. Personally, I'm staying arms until I get 2 good SMF weps.