View Poll Results: Do you support Marijuana legalization? (if so how much)

Voters
1380. This poll is closed
  • Legalized for everyone and children with parental consent

62 4.49%
  • Everyone 18+

612 44.35%
  • Everyone 21+

466 33.77%
  • Medical use Only

109 7.90%
  • Against marijuana PERIOD.

113 8.19%
  • Don't know.

18 1.30%
Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I support use of it for 21+, as with Alcohol. I believe employers should still be allowed to dictate if marijuana use of their employees is allowed or not, and fire those who fail drug tests.

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    So me wanting to retain basic economic liberty to fire people that work for me in at will employment means I'm authoritarian?
    I guess I can repeat myself. Desiring to fire someone for their personal, off the job habits is an authoritarian personality trait.

I think it means I want basic liberty. You would probably say that is the same thing you want, so why attack me for wanting the same thing.
    No, I don't desire the "liberty" to fuck with others for absolutely no reason at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the sake of liberty it should be legal with whatever regulations individual states wish to place on it (as is stipulated constitutionally). That being said, anyone who uses it is a fool, should be fired by whoever employs them, and should be shunned by society in general. A great many things should be legal, yet societally shunned by any decent portion of society.
    I got to admit, this confuses me as well. If marijuana is having a negative impact on their work, then by all means fire them, but to fire someone based just on the marijuana, regardless of whether or not they do their job well or not seems like bigotry. And what are these other things that should be legal, yet shunned?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The NCBI database and PubMed both have .gov endings. They're valid sources for huge amounts of information. Just rejecting things out of hand is usually not a good idea.
    When it comes to anything in science - I avoid .gov like the plague. The reasoning behind this is a lot of those pages can go long periods of time without update - either out of negligence, or simply to misinform(I believe that Marijuana link is a good example of the latter). My response was a little vague, I do apologize for that.

End the war on drugs.
    Take people out of prison that have been involved in any petty criminal charges related to pot.
    Sell it with the same restrictions as tobacco and alcohol and tax it.
    ???
    Profit!
    Currently playing: Stuff
    YouTube|Hearthstone Decks|Twitter|MyAnimeList

10+ Year Old Account
    So me wanting to retain basic economic liberty to fire people that work for me in at will employment means I'm authoritarian? I think it means I want basic liberty. You would probably say that is the same thing you want, so why attack me for wanting the same thing.
    I dont think most rational people have an issue with you wanting to fire your employees for any reason. I know that I took issue with the statement you made about how all users should be fired and laughed at because now you are forcing your views on everyone and wishing ill will on people whos actions, if legally and responsibly done, will not effect you if they;re not your employees. It was simply a very vindictive statement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    I got to admit, this confuses me as well. If marijuana is having a negative impact on their work, then by all means fire them, but to fire someone based just on the marijuana, regardless of whether or not they do their job well or not seems like bigotry. And what are these other things that should be legal, yet shunned?
    I would fire and shun someone who cheats on his wife repeatedly regardless of whether it affects productivity and regardless of whether it actually harms his wife. Simply because something does not affect how well you work for me does not mean I should or will ignore it.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Because I have basic economic liberty and basic liberty just like you do. That means you get to smoke what you want and I get to fire my uncontracted, at will employees whenever I feel like it for any reason or not reason. Liberty is a two way street.
    Then you pay unemployment. If you're going to make employees sign a waiver saying they can't smoke. Then you will find yourself in court. You can't make someone sign a contract that contradicts State law.

Unenforceable contracts:

Public Policy

Contracts can be found unenforceable on grounds of public policy not only to protect one of the parties involved, but also because what the contract represents could pose harm to society as a whole. For example, a court will never enforce a contract promoting something already against state or federal law (you can never enforce a contract for an illegal marijuana sale) or an agreement that offends the "public sensibilities" (contracts involving some sort of sexual immorality, for example). Other examples of contracts (or contracts clauses) that are against public policy and therefore unenforceable include:

an employer forcing an employee to sign a contract that forbids workers from joining a union
    an employer forcing an employee to sign a contract forbidding medical leave
    a landlord forcing a tenant to sign a contract forbidding medically necessary companion animals such as seeing eye dogs, and
    contracts for child custody are invalid in California if their terms are not in line with the child's best interest.

So for example. You cannot make someone sign a contract that prohibits something that is legal. Now if they are high on the job. That's different.

So be prepared to pay unemployment. All I am saying.

18 plus like it should be for alcohol in the USA

I can tell you from experience weed is so overated

the real killer is perscription medication which is perfectly legal

trust me i got hooked on vicodin when i did my back in and withdrawing from those was the worst thing ive ever experienced

10+ Year Old Account
    I would fire and shun someone who cheats on their wife repeatedly regardless of whether it affects productivity and regardless of whether it actually harms his wife. Simply because something does not affect how well you work for me does not mean I should or will ignore it.
    Ok, so this boils down to you just want a reason to fuck with people and to control them. You need a power fix in that if someone working for you does something you don't like you think you have the right to screw with them. It all makes sense now. I should hope you never hold a position of power or have children if this is the way you want to treat others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Firing someone cause they went home, got baked and ate a bag of cheetos while watching cartoons seems a little off...might as well fire anyone that goes home and has a glass of wine with dinner.

Firing them cause they come in stoned is a different story.

I am all for employers having mandatory drug testing and coupling it with performance reviews.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally don't think it should be legal. HOWEVER, if Cigarettes and Alcohol are legal, which they shouldn't be because they cause more deaths than just about anything in this country... then pot should be legal as well. It's hypocritical to make marijuana illegal when cigarettes/alcohol are legal and cause vastly more health issues.

I would fire and shun someone who cheats on his wife repeatedly regardless of whether it affects productivity and regardless of whether it actually harms his wife. Simply because something does not affect how well you work for me does not mean I should or will ignore it.
    It's really odd that you desire to control intimate details of employees lives, but object to the authoritarian label. It's downright Orwellian to say that wanting to be able to control such things is about liberty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Then you pay unemployment. If you're going to make employees sign a waiver saying they can't smoke. Then you will find yourself in court. You can't make someone sign a contract that contradicts State law.

Unenforceable contracts:

Public Policy

Contracts can be found unenforceable on grounds of public policy not only to protect one of the parties involved, but also because what the contract represents could pose harm to society as a whole. For example, a court will never enforce a contract promoting something already against state or federal law (you can never enforce a contract for an illegal marijuana sale) or an agreement that offends the "public sensibilities" (contracts involving some sort of sexual immorality, for example). Other examples of contracts (or contracts clauses) that are against public policy and therefore unenforceable include:

an employer forcing an employee to sign a contract that forbids workers from joining a union
    an employer forcing an employee to sign a contract forbidding medical leave
    a landlord forcing a tenant to sign a contract forbidding medically necessary companion animals such as seeing eye dogs, and
    contracts for child custody are invalid in California if their terms are not in line with the child's best interest.

So for example. You cannot make someone sign a contract that prohibits something that is legal. Now if they are high on the job. That's different.

So be prepared to pay unemployment. All I am saying.
    There is no contract, uncontracted at will employment.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

There shouldn't be a restriction on something everybody has which is free will. But for every living human being there should be a moral obligation to do what is right, if that means people think Marijuana is wrong or unhealthy it is there moral obligation to share why and convince others with the best of their abilities.

Deleted
    id say legalize, but only if health insurance doesnt cover any followup health problems. same goes with cigarettes and alcohol. in europe the pretty high health ensurance costs go down the smokers, drinkers and onto preventive measures ... while real illnesses dont get payd via insurances. its sth you should have an eye on with obama-care as well. dont let your insurance payments go to idiots that hurt themselves in risky hobbys or stupidity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    Ok, so this boils down to you just want a reason to fuck with people and to control them. You need a power fix in that if someone working for you does something you don't like you think you have the right to screw with them. It all makes sense now. I should hope you never hold a position of power or have children if this is the way you want to treat others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It's really odd that you desire to control intimate details of employees lives, but object to the authoritarian label. It's downright Orwellian to say that wanting to be able to control such things is about liberty.
    It truly amazes me that my want to be able to disassociate myself completely with someone by firing them and shunning them earns me the brand of authoritarian. Not wanting to be involved with someone at all and severing all means by which I could exert authority over them, really doesn't fit with that label.

There is no contract, uncontracted at will employment.
    Then you will pay unemployment for a year or more.

Under the public policy exception, an employer may not fire an employee if it would violate the state's public policy doctrine or a state or federal statute.

This includes retaliating against an employee for performing an action that complies with public policy (such as informing the authorities of an illegal activity, for instance abuse of a resident in a nursing home[17]), as well as refusing to perform an action that would violate public policy. In this diagram, the pink states have the 'exception', which protects the employee.

As of October 2000,[18] forty-three U.S. states and the District of Columbia recognize public policy as an exception to the at-will rule.[19]

So, yea. You will lose. Plain and simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    It truly amazes me that my want to be able to disassociate myself completely with someone by firing them and shunning them earns me the brand of authoritarian. Not wanting to be involved with someone at all and severing all means by which I could exert authority over them, really doesn't fit with that label.
    You must be a sad lonely person if you completely shut your self off from people who do things you don't like. Either way you look at it you and anyone else who desires this type of control, which that is what it is control, are just terrible people and one of the many banes on society.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

This is a cognitive blindspot on your end. You desire to tell an employee, "Do what I say in your personal life, or I will take your employment away", yet perceive it as you just exercising good ol' freedom. I don't know if this is a result of lack of empathy or what, but this circumstance is not how you feel it is.