Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Question Do you think that attractive people have better lives?

Do you think that attractive people have better lives? Like not even when it comes to significant things. Just mundane things such as random strangers always smiling at them, getting better/more polite service at various places, getting invited places, getting a free pass to do things an ugly person would be grilled alive for. The list goes on and on.

When it comes to these good looking people that get so many perks in life due to simply having better genetics. Do you think that they have better lives than, say for example, a lot of you ugly MMO-C posters (I mean no offence) or ugly people in general?

Deleted
    Yes, it has been researched a lot and the studies have shown that attractive people generally get higher grades in school, higher salary etc etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    This can only go badly mainly because of the last phrase you wrote LOL but ot: yes better looking people have the potential of having better lifes due to how easy it may be for them to get a job faster ( yes it is taken in account if you look like a demon or not lol ), finding sexual partners is also fairly easier for better looking people among other perks provided by their looks .

I also call bullshit on the above poster namely the better grades part, speaking out of experience most good looking people are shallow idiots, rarely do you find someone who is good looking above average and smart , ofc self confidence which is increased by looking good might help get better grades but it wont do shit if that good looking person in as smart as a door.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely.
    Im in my 40s and am still fairly attractive and this far throughout my life, incomparison to ugly vs pretty, definitely a hell of alot more perks comes your way easier.
    + a good sense of humour, common sense with good manners and respect, yep, its easier.

But ugly isnt just outter you could be a beautiful person on the outside yet be rude, aggressive, abusive, negative, stuck up etc, those usually are turn offs, so its a balance of both I think, beauty + as mentioned above will win i think most times over ugly or less attractive with similar triats of positive mentioned above.

My friend she is well not ugly, but she definitely isnt as attractive as me, or built as well, and we have been friends for over 20 ys and as I said before looking back on life thus far, yep... beauty, attractiveness, definitely = things come easier to you so it seems.

but then again it seems ppl less attractive, not so nice bodies etc... whatever, are jealous alot, have lower self esteems etc and this also pushes towards ugly attitudes.

/shrug some are fortunate, others are not.

Do you think that they have better lives than, say for example, a lot of you ugly MMO-C posters (I mean no offence) or ugly people in general?
    Just cos ur butt ugly and post on here dont mean everyone here is.

Dumb ass question.

Warning: Keep responses civil, please. Don't bother responding if you have nothing constructive to say.
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2012-03-27 at 01:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, studies have shown that those who are considered attractive by society's standard tend to have more success by a limited amount. They get tipped better or get a promotion faster. People tend to react more positively to them and are more willing to overlook minor issues. But it isn't a huge difference overall.

I don't attribute my success in life, however, to my looks. I worked hard to achieve what I have. Am I good looking? Yes, I've been told that more than enough and never had an issue finding someone in my life. Is that the sole reason I've been a successful person? No. It takes more than looks to make it anywhere in life. You need a willingness to adapt to changing situations, an interesting and charismatic personality (usually) that helps people trust you, and intelligence. Those kind of qualities takes you farther than just looks do. Those that think their looks get them places by itself are conceited and shallow.

Let me put it this way... It's NOT a coincidence that almost every single celebrity looks good.

Pure, Alliance Turalyon EU 8/8 25 HC

Yes. I consider myself attractive and the biggest benefit has to be the boost of confidence.
    Confidence is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafax View Post
    I also call bullshit on the above poster namely the better grades part, speaking out of experience most good looking people are shallow idiots, rarely do you find someone who is good looking above average and smart , ofc self confidence which is increased by looking good might help get better grades but it wont do shit if that good looking person in as smart as a door.
    Because you only see plain to ugly doctors, CEOs, professors (ok, bad example), etc.

OP: Yes, most people do think that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafax View Post
    Actually I think studies say that better looking people do perform better all around. They likely have the same intellectual capacity as uglier people, but because of their positive life experiences and confidence, they are more well-adjusted and perform better both at school, in the workplace, and in their private lives.

You are far more likely to climb the corporate ladder or do well at school if you are good looking. Same goes for the relationships you have with other people. Good looking people will generally have lots of people wanting to be around them, and in addition to this their confidence makes them even more appealing.

There really are very few positives to being ugly besides maybe building character or developing a thick skin?

Fairly certain it goes deeper than just being good looking, generally there is a knock on effect where confidence, appearance, motivation all play a big part in someones success.

Clearly, being attractive makes things easier for that person. It's no surprise that the higher up in social ladders you go, the higher the average height is. Very high level individuals, like COEs, or presidents, or famous celebrities, are all way above average height. It's often funny to look at celebrities of average height next to the average celebrity; they look like they are way below average height because everyone around them is so tall.

Other weird effects of this is the hair of politicians. How many bald US presidents have there been? Having a great set of hair correlates with recieving more votes from people...

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a lot of it has to do with good looking people who know they look good being more confident, confidence is important for succeeding at anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke1096 View Post
    Personally, I think it would be hilarious if Troll Druids turned into walking cannabis plants.

Deleted
    Overall I think looks in themselves won't make or break you.

But, if you take two individuals from otherwise identical backgrounds where one is generally good-looking while the other is average in looks I'm guessing that regardless of their subjective happiness levels the better-looking person probably has a better life. Easier access to sexual partners, easier to get promotions, people treat him/her slightly better in most situations. Nothing major if you look at any one particular detail and from that person's perspective it's probably not all that noticeable. But, on the whole it will still add up to a higher quality of life, more little perks and advantages.

Yes they do, and they deserve to. Dislike it all you want they are of better genetic makeup. then again im sort of in favor of eugenics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bingodan View Post
    Yes they do, and they deserve to. Dislike it all you want they are of better genetic makeup. then again im sort of in favor of eugenics
    Except that's not really true.

You can have the "right" genes for good looks and still be dumb as a rock with plenty of health issues and a genetic predisposition to (pointless) aggression and you can have "bad" genes for looks (short, bald, near-sighted to the degree that you require glasses, poor facial symmetry, etc) but also be blessed with a great personality, 130+ IQ and otherwise perfect health.

Deleted
    Yes they do,
    Yes.

and they deserve to.
    How exactly does someone deserve to have better genetics before evn being born? o.O

Dislike it all you want they are of better genetic makeup.
    Doesn't bother me, I think everyone is beautiful in their own way. And everyone is beautiful in certain confines. One person might be considered super hot on the club scene while people in the executive world would find them to be a complete disaster. And vice versa.

Of course there are certain traits that are universally considered appealing but everyone can be fairly attractive and good looking with a little work/effort.

then again im sort of in favor of eugenics
    /Sigh
    Why does this always happen to MMO-Champion threads....

Please explain why you support eugenics? I'd like to hear this.

I do not think our opinion of ugly = better or worse genes.

There is no doubt that attractive people have better lives.

But they usually don't realize it because they are used to it.

It does not mean that EVERY attractive person will have better life than every ugly person (you know, ugly girls have lower chance to get raped), but IN AVERAGE life of attractive people is better. A lot of problems solve by themselves if you are girl and have beautiful smile.
    Last edited by traen; 2012-03-28 at 11:19 AM.

Of course they do and they deserve it. They are, in fact, better.