Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Overall intelligence is a high "score" in number of intelligences and IQ tests measure only one or two of them.
    To me at least, believing in religion means a damaged "reality filter". There were (and still are) a lot of very smart people with a damaged reality filter.
    So it does have something to do with it, not nothing. (The connection between IQ and overall intelligence, I mean)

Deleted
    Why people believe in religions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeinblack View Post
    being an "evangelical" atheist is no better than somebody being an evangelical christian. you aren't triggering a "defense mechanism" in anybody, you are merely triggering the exact same irritance button that you feel when jehovah's witnesses show up at your door to spread their beliefs. *nobody* likes a conversion cathy. why do you think you are less annoying than they?
    I'm really not sure what you're getting at here, considering atheism is lack of belief in deities where as Evangelicalism is a Protestant Christian movement. There's no such thing as an evangelical atheist; the two terms are contradictory. I wasn't saying something is better than something else. In all honesty, I don't know how to respond to this post other than to agree that no one likes it when someone tries to convert them.

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 01:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    I'd totally subscribe to that.
    No one here is asking you to subscribe to religion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    No one here is asking you to subscribe to religion.
    I meant the statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    There's no such thing as an evangelical atheist.
    Using a non-religious definition of the word: "marked by militant or crusading zeal", then yes, there is such a thing. And I think you know exactly what he's talking about, even if evangelical was a poor word choice.

My advice is, Don't. You will only regret it later.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    No, I wouldn't. I burned through two years of life dating an Evangelical Christian, and the primary thing it taught me is that hardcore Christians will never, ever simply take "I respect you but don't share your beliefs and never will" for an answer.
    If they are hardcore you simply have to convert to their religion otherwise they are not even allowed to date/marry you. Brother of a friend of mine did it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Decided to leave this thread open at first with the hopes people would avoid discussing religion, that unfortunately hasn't happened.

Closed.