Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best PvP? WoW/Swtor/GW2/Rift/....Suggestions?

Please if you have any opinion on a newer game with GOOD pvp content list some details.

I went and spent a good chunk of change on a new up to date gaming pc and feel it's just not being utilized. My guild/server seems to just wipe opponents within the first day of WvWvW on GW2. Which in-turn results in a week of nothing to do. There is really something lacking in the game so I am looking for something else.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added 2012-10-30 at 08:06 AM ----------

Please remember not limited to those games just wanted something to base off of.
    At the moment I am downloading Swtor and APB reloaded. Suggestions please!!!
    Last edited by dznootz; 2012-10-30 at 08:14 AM.

Not wow, really unbalanced pvp with op classes and unbalance. Blizzard dont know how to balance classes, sometimes they just baffle me with there choice of balance. Talking only pvp balance, the pve is good.

Rift is looking reallly good, just started the trail so i have not touched the pvp yet, though from what i heard the pvp is basicly bg's with objectives and also there is world pvp, not sure how that is yet though, im hoping that the pvp is good.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2012-10-30 at 02:42 PM.

GW2 PVP is probably the most balanced in MMO PVP.

Rift, SWTOR and WOW have terrible PVP-- gear based PVP w/ gameplay mechanics that never intended to support player versus player combat. It's almost a side effect that one can PVP in those games from a design POV.

Guild Wars 2 PVP, as you may already know, isn't even built on gameplay model of above MMOs. In the mainstream market, Tera and GW2 might be the only MMOs where PVP is supported inherently by the core gameplay.

There is no question to ask here: Rift, WOW and SWTOR have PVP game modes as a corruption of gameplay. Guild Wars 2 does not.

Whichever of those you enjoy most is the one you should play. Objectively, there is only 1 game given your premise that actually has core gameplay meant for PVP. If you feel GW2 is "lacking" in this regard than you are not interested in PVP to the degree you think you are.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-10-30 at 03:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly the most fun I've had in PvP is SWTOR's 10-49 Bracket. At 50, less so because of the dramatic differences in gear.

GW2 PvP was fun for a few weeks. I was really digging the horizontal scaling and the "skill-based" components. What ultimately started turning me off was the lack of objective diversity and the downed state mechanics. One of my favorite things is to defeat multiple opponents, but its near impossible to do that with the downed state unless you run a bleed heavy build (IMO at least).

I'm not sure there is actually an excellent PvP oriented MMO out right now. I jsut started Rift so I can't comment on that, and I also have not played Tera.

---------- Post added 2012-10-30 at 11:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    GW2 PVP is probably the most balanced in MMO PVP.
    As a note to this I will agree, but not agree in the typical sense. Its balanced in that anyone can make any class with any spec at any time. There is no gearing up process. If you see Warriors as dominating, you can create a character in 5min and start dominating yourself. That being said, I don't think every class is balanced on equal footing, nor do I think they should be.

I would recommend Guild Wars 2 if you're strictly looking for PvP. Tera isn't a bad option due to the combat system, however.

Deleted
    i thought the pvp in gw2 was pretty crap one of the many reasons why ive stopped playing. Tried getting back into WoW for the pvp.. just didnt happen and ive also stopped playing that. Id have loved for my hunter to be my main but sustained dmg in raids is just terrible.. good burst but thats it... needing one character for pvp and another for pve just isnt worth my time. Might actually get a chance to play xcom, walking dead, dead space 2, batman, and more lol (god damn steam sales)... ill probably end up playing tf2 though
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2012-10-30 at 07:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh show me any MMORPG that does PvP well good luck balancing them. I'd say go MOBA or RTS imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Meh show me any MMORPG that does PvP well good luck balancing them. I'd say go MOBA or RTS imo.
    It's extremely difficult in the MMORPG genre. At least in the MMOs descendant from M59/EQ. PVP was never inherent to those games or supported by any elements of core design.

There are only 2 series I can think of that pulled off PVP in the context of an MMO; Guild Wars and Dark Age of Camelot. The former being exemplary.

Shadowbane to a perhaps lesser degree.

If you are interested in PVP actual, that is to say the PVP game mode as competition on an equal playing field-- the only game that provides this is Guild Wars. One of the few PVP game that is not expressly asymmetrical.

Most people don't really want PVP. They want to gank or beat up other people for a laff.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Try League of Legends (or DoTA/DoTA2).

I don't consider any MMO to actually have 'balanced' PvP (not even GW2).

Only thing that comes close to real PvP would be EvE, Tera could be a contender as well I suppose, didn't play it at end game so not sure though, WoW has balance issues due to being balanced for small scale arenas and resemble rock scissors paper to much, Rift is very similar but instead focus more on group play and as such suffer in low number balance, GW2 I can't comment on as I didn't play it, SWTOR has the same issues Rift and WoW has as far as balance goes, while huttball can be really fun it can also be very frustrating due to lack of proper match making and as such the class imbalance can shine through in heavy stacked teams, this goes for all WZs just shows more in huttball.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Shadowbane to a perhaps lesser degree.
    No, that game was not anywhere near balanced. Healer-Channelers were lightyears ahead of everyone else. I played a Warrior-Warlock and I'm not sure if it got any worse than that. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Rift, SWTOR and WOW have terrible PVP-- gear based PVP w/ gameplay mechanics that never intended to support player versus player combat. It's almost a side effect that one can PVP in those games from a design POV.

Guild Wars 2 PVP, as you may already know, isn't even built on gameplay model of above MMOs. In the mainstream market, Tera and GW2 might be the only MMOs where PVP is supported inherently by the core gameplay.

There is no question to ask here: Rift, WOW and SWTOR have PVP game modes as a corruption of gameplay. Guild Wars 2 does not.

Whichever of those you enjoy most is the one you should play. Objectively, there is only 1 game given your premise that actually has core gameplay meant for PVP. If you feel GW2 is "lacking" in this regard than you are not interested in PVP to the degree you think you are.
    It is lacking in the fact that every week we win a week long match in a day... The map is completely ours the entire week and nobody willing to fight back. I love how I only gave a couple examples of games to get it started... What premise ??? What are you talking about I simply said please a newer game that has good pvp. Is it really that hard to just say a game and give your reasons? All I'm looking for are some suggestions on games out there and some information on them... not a critique of whether im truly a pvp'er. Rofl

Im 12x gladiator in WoW. On Gw2 there is really no reason you are pvping... You pvp to win... there's nothing your aiming to get.
    Last edited by dznootz; 2012-10-30 at 08:17 PM.

So you are looking for a world type pvp game then? That's what it appears that you want. You will never have any sort of balanced pvp for that type of game.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    No, that game was not anywhere near balanced.
    Balance is transitory. Not even a concern one should ever have. Not relevant in terms of how a game is designed aside from symmetrical/asymmetrical balance. Like Age of Empires or Company of Heroes, for example.

It's just whatever.

---------- Post added 2012-10-30 at 03:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dznootz View Post
    It is lacking in the fact that every week we win a week long match in a day... The map is completely ours the entire week and nobody willing to fight back.
    You are talking about WvW. Which by design and intent is to be casual, unstructured and imbalanced PVP. WvW is a diversionary game.

Serious PVP in GW2 is based around SPVP. In which all individuals have 100% equity in total stats.

Im 12x gladiator in WoW. On Gw2 there is really no reason you are pvping... You pvp to win... there's nothing your aiming to get.
    This is exactly why I said one isn't likely interested actual true PVP & most are in it for the ganking or fun of it.

If one is interested in PVP, they would be interested in PVP for the sake of competition alone. Desiring equity and fairness above all as seen in chess or tennis, for example.

Do you know what is the purest PVP ever put forth in a video game?

Last edited by Fencers; 2012-10-31 at 01:48 AM.

If it has World PvP... Arenas... 8v8....Battlegrounds... I don't care I never said I am looking for anything other than what someone might consider "Good PVP" Stop arguing over imbalances in the game. Please just post a game you think has good pvp and information about the game.
    Last edited by dznootz; 2012-10-31 at 02:52 PM.

GW2 pvp is heald back by a terrible combat system. Yes there is no gear progression, doesn't make the PVP any fun though. WvWvW was too much of a zerg and no fun for melee while sPvP was just not very fun as I ran around dominating people on my guardian and had nothing to work towards.

SWTOR PVP is similar to WOW BGs but the addition of tanks that are able to taunt etc and decent PVP objectives makes it fun. It's pretty balanced too for the most part except for the usual crying from a few classes that they are UP and others are OP. Gear makes a difference, but not so much that you can't overcome and you can get geared pretty quickly.

I haven't played Rift so no comment.

SWTOR is my pick unless you want open world PVP or WvWvW or arenas.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'ld say guild wars 1 actually

for competitive PvP, I think GW2 is the only option, since the other games don't really have the support for it. Rift has very little to offer for people interested in e-sports PvP, SWTOR has even less. Tera has the whole guild pvp thing, but when I played bg's weren't even available in Europe, so can't say much about pvp there.

WoW, while it does support pvp better than most mainstream MMO's, stil suffers from the gear vs skill problem, and does not offer competitive tournaments like for example GW2 does.

You may like the game or you may not, but GW2 atm does offer the most for competitive pvp. I wish they made some more modes though, I miss GvG.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I'ld say guild wars 1 actually

for competitive PvP, I think GW2 is the only option, since the other games don't really have the support for it. Rift has very little to offer for people interested in e-sports PvP, SWTOR has even less. Tera has the whole guild pvp thing, but when I played bg's weren't even available in Europe, so can't say much about pvp there.

WoW, while it does support pvp better than most mainstream MMO's, stil suffers from the gear vs skill problem, and does not offer competitive tournaments like for example GW2 does.

You may like the game or you may not, but GW2 atm does offer the most for competitive pvp. I wish they made some more modes though, I miss GvG.
    Thanks you nailed it on the head... I love my gw2 but, as stated more modes... more options something to do really. I can Spvp all day.... WvWvW we are tier 2 going to be tier 1 next week. The last 2 weeks have been 360k+ to 30k and 5k just no fun at all. Hopefully with the change in free transfers being a week rather than every day it will become more stable. I just wish there were more pvp options than king of the hill... WvWvW was absolutely amazing 2 weeks ago Sea of Sorrows against Sanctum of Rall and Crystal Desert. CD was never really in it but, the entire week it was back and forth with SoS and SoR. But an entire week.... 2 weeks of domination is just really brutal. The other worlds had given up within 10 minutes of the reset. Obviously has me contemplating other games because, Spvp is not something you want to do the entire time your online.

Thanks for everyone who actually had some input on games... I will just be patient and hope that the change in free transfers and the tier 1 bracket will make things more balanced. I don't want to go back to WoW the only thing I'm seeing being viable would be Tera.

Quote Originally Posted by dznootz View Post
    Again your talking about me when I asked for information on Newer pvp games...
    It's a majestic plural, sweetie. I am not talking about you, Mr. Dznootz directly. It's a royal 'you'. I am talking about PVP game modes because it's an interesting topic comparatively in these MMOs.