Thread: Swain!

Swain!

I play top 99% of the time when i play and looking to spread and learn other roles, and ive always kept my eye on swain but only seen him 2-3 times in game ( 300+ games ), i like the way he looks etc but how do he play out in mid nowdays? i mostly just see morg/kata's in mid

10+ Year Old Account
    He can be pretty good. Not the best, but decent. Hes one of my fav AP's to build because you get pretty tanky. Better in 3's then 5's but if you really want to try him, go for it.
    "BC was a hot chick that took alot of work but was rewarding in the end, Cata is the drunk chick that supplied similar results with less effort." -couldnt have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Give up trying to understand her, women tend to handle problems with emotion rather than logic.

Picked him up a couple weeks back and honestly have not regretted it one bit. Slow, stun, DOT, and his toggle Ult which heals and all around sexiness.

He's brutal as long as you play him right, and especially in mid with farming minions you shouldnt have much issue with mana at all (minion kills restore some mana).

10+ Year Old Account
    Swain is an absolute monster if you don't get focused right away. If you can kill him before the healing on his ult really starts to kick in, he isn't a problem at all, but if you get him kinda low and he manages to kite, or zhonya's or something, it can be an absolute mess when you're fighting him.

I think the main reason he doesn't see that much play, is that it's not too hard to just blow him up if your team is competent. Though if you are in a solo Q game or something, most teams won't have the coordination to just instantly gib him.

Deleted
    Swain is awesome! Land his snare and pop a crow onto the enemy a few time's and they're kinda forced to go back. Used to play him all the time but haven't picked him up for a while now. Thank's for reminding me of him, will definitely have to pick him up again at some point. Think I also have the Tyrant Swain skin, making him look like a bad ass.

Deleted
    It's a champion I'll eventually buy because he looks awesome. I find he is kind of a PIMP, that's why I call him the SwagMeister.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphemus View Post
    Picked him up a couple weeks back and honestly have not regretted it one bit. Slow, stun, DOT, and his toggle Ult which heals and all around sexiness.

He's brutal as long as you play him right, and especially in mid with farming minions you shouldnt have much issue with mana at all (minion kills restore some mana).
    I like Swain a lot, but he has SNARE, not a STUN, for crying out loud !

Please try to learn the difference: Snare = you can STILL cast and auto-attack (if in range); Stun = you can't do anything.

Sorry if I come of mean here, not intended, but I hear the same about every snare in the game all the time . . . just stop trying to walk during the snare and actually cast/autoattack anything and the difference will be obvious.

Anyways, on topic: Swain is really fun, IF you build him tanky and IF you have access to a lot of blue buffs (your jungler needs to be on the ball there to not have it stolen and the Swain player should try not to give it away by dying).

Like all sustain-champions, Swain can either overwhelm the opposition by sustaining too much/getting too tanky, if he is ahead, or he can get bursted down too fast, if he is behind the curve (with an Ignite at least).

So it's always a bit of a gamble.

He is a lot of fun, though, especially if you land his full combo + Ignite.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post
    He is a lot of fun, though, especially if you land his full combo + Ignite.
    Even just landing W + E and an auto attack or two pre-level six will put enough pressure on them to get rather scared of you. He farms and sustains well and hard to bully if you get the hang of him.

Amazing skillset and ulti makes him a beast 1v1, he can harass quite heavily with his DoTs and root is nice, but easily avoidable.
    Good champ if played right.

Here's my quick summary of counters for and against Swain. This is all assumed playing more aggressive to shove out of lane and/or kill.

Those that counter Swain -

Annie: You CANNOT get into lazer bird range to land an easy Nevermore root or you will get a fireball stun to the face . . . every time. Not fun. Most good Annies will hold their passive for just those moments.

Katarina: Pre-6, she will annoy you and likely kill you. You'll never land a Nevermore and if you try she will Shun Po onto you and get her full combo off while you'll be lucky if you just get lazy bird and an E off. If you manage not to give her any kills and just play passively till 6, you can start working on killing her. She won't be able to play offensively anymore.

Kassadin: Unless you can land Nevermore w/o lazerbird, you'll just get silenced and spewed on every time. Haven't seen him a lot lately so not too much of a concern.

Every other traditional mid champ is fair for the most part, except for a few that Swain "should" just wreck. Those include -

Karthus: From my experiences anyways, I see way too many Karthus's start without boots in an attempt to build Tear quickly. Wrong, wrong, wrong. You've just made Nevermore easily landable without lazer bird and I can pull off my entire combo without ever getting in range of your AoE.

Veigar: Poke him in between his Q's for last hitting and he'll be forced to leave (or die) often. Very easy.

Gragas: I've personally never had trouble with a Gragas. Key to Gragas is to walk side to side not front and back. A lot of Gragas players try to scare you into running backwards after a body slam (hit or miss) for an easy barrel land. Don't. Instead, just stand there and pull off you're full combo. You're early game damage trade offs will be far higher until Gragas has had a few rank ups on his barrel and body slam.

These are largely based upon my own personal experiences. I'd expect others may have different results but feel free to post about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    trolling the enemy team with my shaco juke
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigapants View Post

Veigar: Poke him in between his Q's for last hitting and he'll be forced to leave (or die) often. Very easy.
    How I learned this all too well after playing Veigar and carrying my friends for 3 weeks straight. He played Mid Swain and just raped me in a 1 v 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphemus View Post

Just to avoid confusion, his w is a SNARE not a STUN
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

He is very high maintenance though in lane, and for me not worth the effort.

Bough him and love him! fun and annoying just right up my alley with champs lol, just saving up for his full runes now.

I used to be very scared of him, life stealing fat bird ahah.

Deleted
    One of my friends absolutely wrecks with him. I'm shit at him. I'm always surprised by the amount of damage his birdies do when he's using his ult.

He's amazing if you know how to play with him. If you can land his skills you wreck. He doesn't have the best team presence though.