Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    That was a pointless wall of text when all you could have said was "QQ, some people are newbs and others have different views than me"

Not everyone wants to kill every mob in the instance, myself included. I like to mix quest xp with dungeons, and I find that it is faster to get XP via doing dungeons once for the quest xp/mob xp and then going back to quests. If you don't like doing that, OK, that is fine, it's your preference, just be respectful of other people's preference.

Also, not everyone's been playing the game since beta, many people in the low level dungeons are new players who don't know what the hell they're doing.

The best way to deal with these people is by running with friends/guildies and avoiding them all together. Aside from that, suck it up and take it. It's LFR, not a Paragon raid.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

I love players who leave pet taunts on... I refuse to taunt the mob/boss back and will just run to the next pack. The pet will die and the mob will come back to me /shrug. They usually get the hint pretty fast.

As I've tanked my whole WOW life I've realized if you do randoms expect the worst and every once in a while you will meet that player who you actually enjoy playing with. With how real ID works now you can add that player and have some control over who you group with. I have several of these on my friend list.
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

If I grouped with OP I would have complained about his tanking style. I played a warrior tank from TBC through Cata, now I am currently leveling a DK to tank on (for the hell of it), and I can tell you a simple things you need to know about tanking.

1. Learn the mobs
    2. Pull like a mad man
    3. Use your CD's
    4. Pull again

If the tank is the only one taking damage and the mobs don't have interrupts/silences/fears/other CC's then healers should be fine on mana. I don't understand the healers that are like STOP I HAVE NO MANA! Well yeah you don't have any mana because you don't know how to heal properly. If you cast flash heal/flash of light/yadda yadda constantly of course you're going to be out of mana. Kick heals get new heals and keep it moving. Never pull mobs that you don't have to. The XP you get for completing the dungeon outweighs the extra pacts that tanks want to pickup. Skip them finish dungeon requeue finish dungeon requeue and before you know it you're level 90.

I've never had any complaints except from amateur heals. Most time I kill the boss and someone is already requeuing group because they "LOVE" the tank!

All in all, learn to tank. Personally I have only had 2-3 monk tanks that I have come across that actually know how to tank.

This isn't TBC days anymore. Chain pulling is whats up. Don't like it, go back to your healer (and if you fail at that) be that lousy dps that no one cares for because they sit at 5% of the total group damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    That was a pointless wall of text when all you could have said was "QQ, some people are newbs and others have different views than me" Not everyone wants to kill every mob in the instance, myself included.
    People can have different views than me. That's fine. Some people want to pull more, some less, some faster, some slower. That's cool. When people are abusive about it, that's not cool. If someone asks to pull more, then I comply if my healer and I can manage it, or if it makes sense. I'm not going to pull five packs of crap that's going to chain stun me so I can't keep aggro, and then they QQ when they die because they can't DPS fast enough to kill it all. That's a stupid decision.

My post was about people being abusive about their opinions, not people have opinions in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Player1x View Post
    If I grouped with OP I would have complained about his tanking style. ... Kick heals get new heals and keep it moving. Never pull mobs that you don't have to.
    I'm curious to know how you know my tanking style, having never played with me? I don't mean that in inflammatory way, but nowhere in my post did I indicate that I don't chain pull, or I have problems with healers. I do chain pull, and I have a "pocket healer" that keeps up with ridiculous amounts of incoming damage. The problem is when people are abusive about their opinion, as I mentioned above. I was in groups where I barely stopped moving, pulling and picking up and DPSing down as I ran, pausing only to gather mobs up, and in those cases I've had people tell me "PULL MORE". I can only pull as fast as I can Roll and run in the game, haha.

The problem is when people outright begin being dicks just because. "Welcome to the Internet" works sometimes, but if people don't agree with my decision as a tank (ie. "I'm skipping this pack and heading straight to the boss") and they decide to run into it and die when I don't pick it up, and then harass me, then fuck 'em.

In closing... I've received a lot of good feedback and input into this thread. While I was in groups with morons, I also had groups that stayed with me for dungeon after dungeon because the "tank is good". As I said, having started Wrath I haven't run into any idiots, groups are smooth and fast and I'm enjoying myself thoroughly. All is well in the world.
    Last edited by Lalicat; 2012-11-14 at 08:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i feel your pain, i really do, and its only going worst and worst Low level dungeon are the worst part imo, ive always roll a healer low level so i know how it is

But try to run with guildy, its probably the best way to actually enjoy the game :/
    I hate when people say go faster, dont kill these mobs blah blah blah, ffs we are all here for xp i cant believe people still complain about that seriously.
    Last edited by xindykawai; 2012-11-14 at 02:29 PM.

My Brewmaster monk is currently at 80. I didn't have real issues with people as I've leveled through LFD as a tank multiple times. I usually out dps everyone by really large margin sometimes even 50% of total damage via heirloom gear. I consider dps that actually is close to me to be a bonus.

What I do near the beginning of the run is to test the healer with a fairly large pull. If I notice that he's struggling and my health is getting low, I can pop defensive cds and the majority of the time stay alive. What this test does is to see if my healer can handle pulling large mobs or not. The dps is going to know right away why I'm pulling smaller groups. Its because the healer can't keep up with it. Also, I won't pull big or immediately stop pulling the next group if the healer says not to.

I do feel your pain with hunters and taunts. I will only say it once in party that by the way your pet is dying. It's usually pretty obvious when their pet is dying for each pull. But, I've had some idiots not put 2 and 2 together.

The majority of my runs go very smooth and like another poster said they need you more than you need them. Don't be afraid to initiate a vote kick on some uppity dps that normally isn't even coming close to actually contributing. Finally, most understand that if you bail, their queue wait can sometimes be quite long. You are in the driver's seat.
    Last edited by Oakshan; 2012-11-14 at 02:52 PM.

Deleted
    didn't read the rest of your thread, but the first post is pretty much what 50% of my dungeon runs are like as a tank. Doesn't matter what you do someone will complain. it's either too fast / too slow. You take too much damage or don't take enough (yes, i've had healers complain I don't take enough damage).

These days I just enter dungeons with party chat turned off. Completely ridiculous solution for a MMO game but it seems the only way to get VP capped without wanting to unsub.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dear OP, the general respect for tanks has continued to dwindle over the years. In our earliest days, tanks were treated with reverence and respect. During this era, bad tanks were quickly identified and rejected out of hand; so all we were left with were decent tanks.

As time went on and more people came to the game, the number of bad tanks increased, but they understood they were green and generally accepted advice and dungeons would work out in the end.

However, with the third expansion, a more-complicated form of tanking was introduced. As a result, there were more bad tanks than ever. But, we managed. They were generally weeded out as well. It just took longer to identify and destroy them because loosened gaming mechanics allowed for bad players to get further than ever before.

By the time Cataclysm emerged, the bad tanks were gone and the game had begun to heal. We played through the whole of the expansion with a wiser population that was able to identify bad tanks quickly and eject them from dungeons accordingly.

Now, we reach the present. A new form of tanking -- with a fairly complex and innovative style of active-mitigation -- was introduced. This Brewmaster Monk has a playstyle that requires more than "hit this button to take less damage." Once again, the number of potential tanks increase because so many people are interested in the new class. However, if you couldn't cut it as a prot pally/warrior or bear tank, you couldn't cut it as a DK. If you couldn't cut it as a DK, you can't cut it as a Brewmaster. The problem is, it takes about six months after the release of an expansion for the newly-rolled bad tanks to get tired of sucking and reroll or go back to their main.

The problem you are facing has to do with other players nitpicking you to pieces. Why is this? It's because everyone assumes you are part of the 90% of new monks that are garbage. Maybe you are. Maybe you aren't. But players don't care. When 9 out of 10 Brewmasters won't make the cut, it's a safe bet that you can be ragged on and, in the end, it will make no difference. You're not going to be a tank for long anyway.

There's only one way to combat this. Do your job. Do it quietly. Do it to the best of your ability. Sit there and take the abuse and prove to the idiots in your group that you can get through a dungeon quickly and safely and with the least number of headaches. In the end, if you have run a clean, tight instance, those pricks that were talking shit to you will look like trash in the eyes of the remainder of the group. You will get /whispers saying, "thanks," "keep up the good work," etc.

That is the nature of the beast. If you're a good monk tank, other good players will know it and recognize it immediately. There are a lot of us out there and we are watching. If no one is thanking you privately for doing a good job or for putting up with the trash-talking or if no one is openly coming to your defense in /party chat, then you might have a problem. You might be a bad tank. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing and take the compliments where you can get them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have 2 tanks at 90 and use the random so I can get the loot bags. I have nearly 0 problems. /shrug
    The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly.

If people don't like how I do things there's a leave dungeon option and they get to wait 30 minutes, if they want to be civil and continue in my dungeon (no tank no dungeon) they are welcome. I am never a dick to people unless it is warranted by them. As far as leveling as a tank, people will just have to suck it up and leave OP, its their problem not yours.

Brewmasters have bad reputation atm since the skill cap is high and the average wow player's skill is quite low.

I often pull mobs on my healers toon when the tank is slow but good and not squishy. Less than half of them are so focused on being good they cant tell im bored because they take little dmg. I however dont mind healers pullin chances are they know they can handle the extra damage.

The real problems are dpses since 70% of them cant outdps me singles target while i tank and sometimes i even have less dmg taken.

10+ Year Old Account
    i will tolerate healers pulling more targets to me if they think i can handle more,
    but not if they literally go out of the room and out of Line of Sight to pull more, that's just wrong.

Just leveled as a monk tank.

I don't have any problems that you are talking about. At all. Not even close.

I was able to solo most of the dungeons. No matter how many people left my group, I never queued to get a replacement - less people, more XP.
    I pulled as much as my healer was capable to handle. And believe me, I did everything to help my healer and stay alive. Stuns, aoe stuns, interrupts, self heals, party heals,shields etc etc. And I ALWAYS did more that 50% of party dps, sometimes 70+%.
    I never waited for anyone. I always left 1-2 mobs on low HP to let dps handle them. I never stopped running.

Long story short - YOU ARE BAD TANK. That's it. It is the only reason why you had all those problems.

If you care to improve - link us a screenshot with your interface, your recount detail after one dungeon and if possible - short video of your performance - 2-3 minutes should be enough, and we'll give you some advise how to improve your performance.

You you don't want to improve - stop insulting other people who tell you the truth about how bad you are, or play any other role.
    Last edited by traen; 2012-11-15 at 04:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    arrogant much?

Quote Originally Posted by Player1x View Post
    I don't understand the healers that are like STOP I HAVE NO MANA! Well yeah you don't have any mana because you don't know how to heal properly. If you cast flash heal/flash of light/yadda yadda constantly of course you're going to be out of mana.
    Apparently you aren't smart enough to realize that were talking about leveling and LFD, the point when a lot of healers still need gear and are potentially running out of mana.
    I am Dave ! Yognaught, and I have the balls!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsilly View Post
    Apparently you aren't smart enough to realize that were talking about leveling and LFD, the point when a lot of healers still need gear and are potentially running out of mana.
    Healers running out of mana at low levels? Hah.

I mostly kick tanks like you. Unless you are shit, you can pretty much chain pull in all dungeons until 80 with ease.. Maybe you should stop acting like you are doing end game 25m heroic raid and try to be efficient?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I mostly kick tanks like you. Unless you are shit, you can pretty much chain pull in all dungeons until 80 with ease.. Maybe you should stop acting like you are doing end game 25m heroic raid and try to be efficient?
    I love unrealistic expectations.

I like expecting random strangers to give me things when I walk by them.
    I like expecting the sun to rise in the west and set in the east.
    I like expecting people to be as familiar with their character at level 15 as they are at level 90.

I think these sorts of expectations are healthy, and if things don't work out to expectation, that's THEIR fault, not MY fault for not understanding how backwards these expectations are.

Never treat levelling characters like they know their class inside and out, or that they know their role inside and out. Expect them to be rough, expect them to make mistakes, and learn how to compensate.

If you were half as good as your arrogance seems to posture, you would expect lowbies to act like lowbies.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just don't respond when people type that stuff and go about my way. Silence usually makes for better runs until you know that the group you're in doesn't contain a rager.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalicat View Post
    I was in a run the other night where 4/5 of our members said "hello" at the beginning of the run. It was awesome.
    Haha.

Anyway, stick with tanking if you enjoy it. A few nice players and some more experience on your side will be all you need to be a good one. Sorry about the Growl thing, it's a double edged sword right now really.
    Fly fast, stay low, hit hard.
    You'd think the 8th Anniversary was the Cheese Anniversary to go with all the whine.
    - madethisfor1post

Ravenholdt EU - Nice Toons: Frazzlebeard, Menardis, Plight - Less So: Slîght