I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
    Write Drunk, Edit Sober.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    I'm madder than a sack full of owls.

The universe tends to unravel itself -random black guy in jail cell in Harold and Kumar go to White Castle.

Why are we doing this in this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Why are we doing this in this thread?
    When you get to the edge of sanity, dive.

"She gave me a smile I could feel in my hip pocket."

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the Texas petition is over one hundred thousand thousand signatures now and still no response from the "Administration." While not all of the signatures may be "authentic." While the claims made in the petition may not hold up under examination. And even while the nature of the petition may not fit the site creators' intent. I feel the "administration" should respond. They opened this can of worms, so to speak.

Does anyone know what the turnaround time is supposed to be?

Even though the supreme court may have ruled secession unconstitutional in Texas vs White. I don't see how it would be unconstitutional to at least have a nonbinding plebiscite in the state. The federal government does not have to hold the plebiscite either. They can hand it off to the state government and tell them they can hold it if they want too. That way the wackos can have their day and the federal government doesn't have to foot the bill. Maybe respond like this?
    While the Supreme Court of the United States determined that secession was unconstitutional in 1869. Our great nation was founded because the government was not representing the will of its people. It would be a betrayal of that principle if we became guilty of the same. In order to form a more perfect union, does not mean it is a perfect union. It is a goal that we will forever strive for. Everyone may not agree on what's best for this country. Yet finding common ground, no matter how different our personal beliefs might be, is what makes this country great. Therefore, if some believe that they should not remain part of this union, let their voice be heard. If their state government so chooses, let them hold a referendum and see what the will of the people may be.
    What I find saddest though is that everyone swamps the secession petitions, while the one wanting to add a state is still thirteen thousand short.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-11-15 at 02:38 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vago View Post
    Thats a good point but in all fairness, from my experience, most blue states have higher local and sin (thinking NY and Cali here) taxes as well as toll roads, which most Red States do not have. Personally I view that as punishing their working class, mostly middle class population; especially toll roads. Think about it, who has to travel everyday? People getting back and forth to work? Same for taxes, those receiving "assistance" don't pay taxes on assisted goods like food, who does? Middle class working America right? Kinda Ironic, IMO which states are the Blue (for the working class) states and which ones are Red (for the top 2%); talk about hypocrisy.
    Texas has lots of Toll Roads. Off the top of my head, I can think of 5 major highways that are toll roads in Texas, and I feel reasonably certain there are more.

I drive through 1 toll booth on the way to work every day and avoid the toll road on the way home, and it costs me $1.50/day, so that's about $33/month I pay in tolls in Houston, and I'm lucky enough to only have to go through one booth.

When I lived in the Bay Area in California, by contrast, the only tolls I can recall are the ones you pay to cross the bridges over the bay.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2012-11-15 at 02:39 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

A nice civil war would do this country good tbh.

15+ Year Old Account
    Glad to see this thread is exactly as serious as I've been assuming while ignoring it for fifty-seven pages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayace View Post
    STOP EATING OUT!! Jesus. I live in Canada and buy my groceries in the States because it is cheaper and I still don't even come close to needing $550 a month on food. $10 a meal are you serious lol. Learn how to cook or accept your stupidity. One person can survive with $150 a month on food easy. My god stop eating fast food every night.
    Food in California is a little more expensive. for 150 a month I would only be able to afford rice, flour and 30 cans of beans.

1lb of chicken is on average $2-3, tuna is $1.25 a can for the cheap stuff, vegetables average $1.50 a can.

When you consider the cheapest rent is a studio for $900, utilities run about $150 a month, fuel costs $4 a gallon and there is hardly any public transportation.

Here is what usually happens here, a guy gets laid off from his job because the company is moving to china. He gets unemployment. it usually works out to $1000 a month, and he gets it for 2 years. To survive he moves in with friends or family because $1000 a month does not pay rent for anything in California. He has to maintain a cell phone and a car to look for work, the insurance is $60-75 a month, the phone service from Metro PCS is $30 a month. Since looking for work means going to job sites he has to spend $60-70 a week on gas, He has to also pay $400-$500 for the couch/closet/tiny room he has. Add this together? $670 so far, he now has to buy food for the month, only he is limited in storage space due to roommates, so he buys food to cook on a limited bases this is a bout $200 in pasta and caned sauces. $870, he then eats out 2-3 times a week usually the cheap stuff so make that $50 a month, $920. this leaves him with $80 for everything else, of course that is $20 for razors hygiene, and $40 for the inevitable overdraft fee.

this is typical for unemployed people, the EDT cards go out only to people with children or on disability, a single person almost never can have one.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 07:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Says the guy who spends $10 on breakfast everyday :P

Grokan aka wells, hola man, nice to see ya
    I actually only eat once a day, I cook and make my own food from scratch, I make my own breads and Pizza. I can go cheaper than you can imagine, but I also know the cost of food in California, I also know how much it costs to cook food at home. California has some of the most over inflated energy prices and food costs. We live in a state where food, water, and essential living consumables are not supposed to be taxed, so they got around that and now tax the packaging food comes in. a half full basket at any supermarket will be $75-150 depending on what you get. to live on $150 you would have to buy ramen, which is $0.30-0.50 a package, also you could only buy re-fried beans which are $0.99-$1.25 a can. Another sad fact of southern California is the lack of viable drinking water, I use filters because that is the best value, but many people cannot afford the start up cost which is about $100, so they go to water stores and buy water at $1.25 a gallon, during the summer a person can easily drink 2-3 gallons a day.

My numbers are based on what I know people spend weekly for food and water, typically it is about $200 a week per person. I spend a lot less because I have enough money to afford the things that let me cook my own food.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 08:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post

What I find saddest though is that everyone swamps the secession petitions, while the one wanting to add a state is still thirteen thousand short.
    Thanks for the reminder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting theory on the surge of secession petitions I found on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/FanTheories/...petitions_are/

Definitely makes some sense.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Quote Originally Posted by Mnevis View Post
    Glad to see this thread is exactly as serious as I've been assuming while ignoring it for fifty-seven pages.
    I apologize for the shoddiness of my service today. That's not how we do business around here.

Here's a free cake.

And a gift certificate for a free appetizer for next time.

Please come again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its funny how the people who had enough sense to draft official petitions are unable to fully think this whole thing out. Most of this is a fad brought on by the popularity of social media.

Let's say a state does secede. Well they now in a whole lot of trouble because now have US citizens, federal infrastructure, and US military bases behind their borders. Do they not think the US would want all of that back? They have also disrupted trade and commerce of the union. On top of that, there is no way for them to set up a government fast enough before US rivals and drug cartels infiltrate their new found "country".

Any sort of rebellion would be put down swiftly but the US would most likely take two course of action. The "country" would be blockaded and starved into submission or the "countries" capital would be taken in 24 hours and the US will "occupy" the "country" until all rebel leaders have met justice, which is death or life in prison.

so, apparently all 50 states have one of these petitions now... am i the only one that finds the image of all 50 states leaving the union simultaneously hilarious? i guess that could leave peurto rico as being the United State of America?

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    so, apparently all 50 states have one of these petitions now... am i the only one that finds the image of all 50 states leaving the union simultaneously hilarious? i guess that could leave peurto rico as being the United State of America?
    Viva, Estados Unidos de America. LOL, that would be a troll fest on the world.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Welcome comrade! Our numbers are growing and with Obama in power, there is nothing to stop us! Now, where is that moose and squirrel?
    Rocky and Bullwinkle? You must be insane! Sam & Max!

Deleted
    Sucks to live in the world which is ruled by greed and hatred.

Still surprised how my posz got +1k posts in about a week =P.

I blame MTV and the rising glamorization of drugs and alcohol for our decline of decency.
    Americans values are declining because of the "what's in it for me" and "I want it nao" factors.

It's a sad time when people want to party, get high and wasted vs being productive and accomplished. Just reference Kesha's "we're gonna die young" BS, or that other song by Britney about dancing until the end of time, and others.
    Spacebar spacebar spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar dark-side.