I need a restart!

Ok here we go. I'm in my 30's I'm working at a dead-end retail job I have no friends no girlfriend I drive a pos s10 that has maybe one month of life in her my credit is shot and I have been living in the same old apartment for the past 12 years. HELP!

New years is coming up. What do you guys recommend?

10+ Year Old Account
    How much money do you have saved up?

I recommend packing your shit up, or selling it, and moving.

Nothing helps to kick start the motivation like a brand new scenario where you are forced to learn new things, meet new people, etc.

Oh, and make it a city. It will be easier to find a job and you can buy a bike for transportation.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Move to Canada. I don't know how much longer the US will stand the falling dollar. Wait a minute we're all screwed!

You are better off than me, in a way. 31 years old, unemployed for nearly 4 years now. Only friend lives in PA (gonna move to WY in July), no girlfriend. No vehicle, crap credit, and if not for my parents moving in with me, I would have been homeless back in 2008, with even worse credit.

How do I plan to "restart"? Not sure, but I am so close to packing a few things and walking away. Being practically unemployable in this town because of the 4 year gap despite trying to look for employment really drags my mood into the shitter. Not sure if it would be any better some place else, but anywhere must be better than this shit hole of a town I live in.

I think I agree with Deadvolcanoes. Pack up and move. I hope to do such a thing myself. Gonna be tough with no vehicle and no money at all. But, eh.

Sell everything, go for a trip across Europe or something.

You'll probably be in the same shitty position when you get back as when you left, but fuck it, at least you can say you've gone and done something then.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathiest View Post
    I need a restart!
    Midlife crisis in 3... 2... 1...

---------- Post added 2012-12-12 at 07:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    Sell everything, go for a trip across Europe or something.
    The way it sounds, "sell everything," might not even manage a trip to Toledo.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Midlife crisis in 3... 2... 1...
    Having one when you got nothing is kinda different than when you get a happyz life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Get help from family? Or start taking night classes or something like that at a local community college and switch careers.
    This sums it up perfectly. Get an education and become competitive.

Deleted
    you're in a dead end job? what do you want to do? its not too late for education, even if its just evening classes a few nights a week, that will also help you to meet new people. or maybe move as others have said, do you have some close family in another city you could stay with a few weeks while you find a new job and place to live?

Well you got a job. Try harder and keep looking for something else.
    Cut back on getting crap you dont need. If your on the dope get off it. Don't go out, and watch what you buy to save money.
    Bust ass, try harder.
    Look for other ways to make money if off time, side work, sell plasma, scrap metal.

Remember suffering is free and you can always count on that misery to be there, use it to motivate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathiest View Post
    Ok here we go. I'm in my 30's I'm working at a dead-end retail job I have no friends no girlfriend I drive a pos s10 that has maybe one month of life in her my credit is shot and I have been living in the same old apartment for the past 12 years. HELP!

New years is coming up. What do you guys recommend?
    Find a new job. Take up a trade, browse craigslist or monster.

My brother just got a great job working for a small lens manufacturer with corporate policies good enough to be on the Forbes list of best companies to work for if they were bigger. They pay for his schooling (9 credits per semester) which he'll be using to become an optical engineer, provide a 100% match to his 401(k) up to 5%, allow him to make his own hours (He pretty much goes in when he wakes up and leaves 8 hours later), fully subsidize his health insurance (Medical, Dental and Vision) after 3 months and buy pizza for their employees every Friday. Also they started him at $15/hr and their employee handbook outlines a 3%-5% raise every year depending on performance. Employee turnaround at this place is apparently incredibly low, some of the (very small 15-man staff) has been there over 30 years.

When you treat your employees that well they'll work hard for you because the thought of losing that job is distressing.