Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by daftone View Post
    The formation of the united states was illegal too. Nothings illegal if you win. Besides texas can legally leave the u.s. any time they want its in their constitution. All they have to do is have the other states become part of texas and they can all legally leave.

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 11:49 PM ----------

conservatives have a right to be scared. They are the ones who will be over taxed to support the rest. The poor don't pay taxes and the rich bribe the government.
    Except conservatives aren't always rich, in fact we've seen that red states soak up the most welfare money in the union.

Hell yeah. Split the country in half the democrats and liberals get the top the conservatives and republicans get the bottom. In 10 years the top will be broke with 90% unemployment and come begging the bottom for help.
    Who gets Cali? Or are we gonna split that too? And looking at the voting patterns shouldn't the conservatives get the middle and the south east and the liberals get the north east, mid Atlantic and the entire West coast?

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I'm doing neither. I just remember the whole thing from the communism days and even nearer the USA vs other cultures debates where people say, "well the US has done bad things too so everyone is the same". Taking a logic course would probably help you, don't know why you find it comical.
    You think I haven't taken logic courses?

Except conservatives aren't always rich, in fact we've seen that red states soak up the most welfare money in the union.
    You would have to do a comparison on a much smaller scale. A lot was made about Romney not winning hardly anything of the black vote and Obama getting it all. Yet, the vast majority of the black population is located in the south. I'm not trying to be racist at all, but a lot of the demographic information that I have seen leads to that information.
    Last edited by Dakia; 2012-11-11 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by damntree View Post
    The Battle of the Alamo lasted thirteen days. The Texans were outnumbered 9 to 1. You must be thinking of The Battle of San Jacinto where the outnumbered Texas Army defeated Santa Anna in less than 20 minutes.
    I thought the battle of Jacinto was where they were outnumbered 20-to-1... enemies seemingly crawling right out of the ground... and had to sink the entire plateau into an underground cavern to stop the invasion?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    You think I haven't taken logic courses?
    Sounds like you haven't, or are you just imitating Wells? You can't be just a logical person, that's impossible according to you.

I'm from Canada. This is just like how Quebec wants to separate. It won't happen because the people who want it are too extreme. Granted, it was a close decision in Quebec's case which ultimately resulted in Quebec staying as part of Canada, but still. Maybe that has no relevance, but that is the first thing this reminded me of.

Also, separating like this isn't as easy as it sounds. They (the separatists) are sugarcoating it to make it sound much more plausible than it actually is. I'll bet that they'll still want to use the American dollar as their currency too.

Just my two-cents though.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you haven't, or are you just imitating Wells? You can't be just a logical person, that's impossible according to you.
    Heh, me imitating Wells. Now I know you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

And yes, I took my logic courses. I did quite well in them. However, one doesn't always have to fall back on a logic discussion for something that is proven to be fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Rommon64 View Post
    The whole 'Texas is allowed to leave' thing is a myth. It has no more right in this regard than any other state.
    Every state has the right to leave the union. Its written in the constitution.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it,and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Heh, me imitating Wells. Now I know you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

And yes, I took my logic courses. I did quite well in them. However, one doesn't always have to fall back on a logic discussion for something that is proven to be fact.
    What is proven fact?

I'm so sick of this ridiculous bullshit. Every time an election goes one way, the losers have to go in some hyperbolic clusterfuck of a bitch fest. The country has been on the decline, falling apart, on the verge of collapse, etc for 200 years. The country is fine. Obama isn't going to bankrupt us, financially or morally. No one is going to secede. No one actually wants to. Calm down. Stop giving publicity to crazy assholes who stay stupid things, stop bitching and actually offer some alternatives if you disagree. Want to know why Romney lost? He had no alternatives. He talked about how awful Obama was, and how much better he would be, but never gave us any indication of what he would do.

My favorite moment from the post election so far is Karl Rove criticizing Obama for running a negative campaign. Karl fucking Rove. If anything is going to kill America it's this crippling lack of self awareness that we seem to have and this collective inability to believe anything could be our fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    No, our president might be worthless,
    You missed the memo - Romney didn't win.

But anyway - given at least 40% of every state voted for Obama and Romney, to say the US needs splitting would mean it needs splitting apart within each state.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    What is proven fact?
    That people said that if Romney won they would move to Canada?

Or that there are idiots on both sides of the US political spectrum?

Do some Google searching or, in the second case, just use your common sense. It isn't that hard you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadow View Post
    So with Obama's victory, people had enough sh17, since they're expecting things to go down hill even more.
    US is falling apart.

Your thoughts?
    We don't actually need Texas, do we? Let them leave.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    We don't actually need Texas, do we? Let them leave.
    Holy shit, yes we do.

Texas is not like the other Southern states.

They're an extremely valuable asset to the US.

I don't blame people for being upset. I was really looking forward to a Romney presidency.

That people said that if Romney won they would move to Canada?

Or that there are idiots on both sides of the US political spectrum?

Do some Google searching or, in the second case, just use your common sense. It isn't that hard you know.
    Yeah, but what's the point of saying those things?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    This is about as facetious as saying that Democrats would rampage and burn down the White House if Romney was elected. I'm sure you could find plenty of random people to agree to a random petition, but hey.... over a thousand Chicago residents once petitioned to ban dihydrogen monoxide once, so we know petitions represent key intellectuals within the country!
    WTF they were trying to ban water ?!?!?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Secession is illegal, and failed in 1860.
    Yes, it's "illegal" to succeed from the union, however when a state openly rebels I don't think they really care about the laws of the parent nation. As for the Civil War, things are so far different now then they where now using it as a benchmark provides highly inaccurate data in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every state has the right to leave the union. Its written in the constitution.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it,and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
    I'm pretty sure that was the Declaration of Independence. Even if this was law, the Form of Government would have to "become destructive of these ends (the rights specified above)." No one in their right mind would believe that the U.S. is currently destructive of these rights, so I don't see how it could be legal for Texas to leave the U.S. peacefully or no based on this document.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    Texas wouldnt leave because they would never get the international backing for any foreign trade. It doesnt need to come to war any longer when you can be completely locked out of even being able to port a ship or fly a plane through foreign airspace to shut down foreign trade. Eventually, Texas would beg to be let back in as a state.

As for needing the natural resources from Texas, ask the middle east what happens over oil.