Page 53 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hehe... There is even a petition too: "Assist with reinstating Scott "The Torg" Torgerson back on the air at 97.1 The FAN, an ESPN Radio affiliate in Columbus."

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 07:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    You could get more people to sign a pledge to beat up Justin Beiber.
    Quick! Someone make a petition for it.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    No, I'm not retarded, I've seen the video. What do you think special operations does, anyway, what you see on Call of Duty? A bunch of bad asses kicking ass and shoving American flags into dead bodies while thunderous rock music plays?
    Sure they don't... the attack on OBL's compound would probably have looked almost exactly like a COD mission, just with a few less brown people with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    I think this whole thing is WAY overblown. There are around 315 million US citizens. The most any state has that signed this is 7000? That's 7 out of every 315,000 people. You could get more people to sign a pledge to beat up Justin Beiber.
    i might sign that! j/k, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    And yet it still pulls more from the Fed than it gives back. Unlike California.
    I know this is true but I am having a hard time understand how. I did some research and found that 13 of the the top 15 states, when it comes to money paid by federal government for welfare, are all blue states. This makes me wonder, while red states are pulling more money from the federal gov't than say blue states but its for something other than welfare maybe we are using the money for something worth while...like research or something maybe?

Anyone know? And this is a serious question. What are red states using federal funding for...because it isn't, at least compaired to blue states, welfare.

Wait, nevermind, I found it...allot of the federal funding are for farms, NASA, Social Security (retires generally migrate South), etc, etc. So yea, I guess if you want to be technical Red States do pull more federal funds / per capita than Blue states do but when you break down what the funding is for you may find that you sing a different tune.
    Last edited by Vago; 2012-11-15 at 02:04 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think I've heard about Texans wanting to break away from the US for the last 30 years....and it looks like the movement has gained about zero momentum in that time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vago View Post
    I know this is true but I am having a hard time understand how. I did some research and found that 13 of the the top 15 states, when it comes to money paid by federal government for welfare, are all blue states. This makes me wonder, while red states are pulling more money from the federal gov't than say blue states but its for something other than welfare maybe we are using the money for something worth while...like research or something maybe?

Anyone know? And this is a serious question. What are red states using federal funding for...because it isn't, at least compaired to blue states, welfare.
    Source? Poverty level wise that doesn't seem to sync up. Perhaps blue states are more "liberal" in who they'll give aid too?

Since our defense budget is high and we buy weps from ourselves, it maybe military related. We all know where spending in blue states goes, unions and social programs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Since our defense budget is high and we buy weps from ourselves, it maybe military related. We all know where spending in blue states goes, unions and social programs.
    Hehe...

Don't forget movies!

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 09:11 PM ----------

Yes, Defense was also very high up there with Texas and NC

I think most people see the point...the excuss of pulling more federal funds while true has no basises for what they are using it for which is to make red states look incompetent.
    Last edited by Vago; 2012-11-15 at 02:12 AM.

It could be that blue states tend to have a larger population, and therefore pay out more money in welfare. There's also the fact that the blue states tend to have a much better safety net, which is more expensive.

But red states, in general, have a much higher percentage of their population under the poverty line - see http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...ks/rank34.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Are you saying they dont receive free cell phones?
    They don't as far as I know, you can get a discount on basic cell phone service called "lifeline" but a lot of rules apply and you still have a monthly bill only it's really small.

Max of 250 mins a month. Cheap old school cell phones. And second rate providers. But the advantage is the Free service only costs about $10 a month.

Oh and Obama didn't create "lifeline" Ronald Reagan did, Bush included Cell Phones into the deal, and Obama made it privatized.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, Defense was also very high up there with Texas and NC

I think most people see the point...the excuss of pulling more federal funds while true has no basises for what they are using it for which is to make red states look incompetent.
    Hehe... Not exactly...

Top Ten
    1. New Mexico - Indian reservations, military bases, federal research labs, farm subsidies, retirement programs
    2. Mississippi - Farm subsidies, military spending, nutrition and anti-poverty aid, retirement programs.
    3. Alaska - Per capita No 1 recipient of federal benefits; infrastructure projects, DOT and pork projects.
    4. Louisiana - Disaster relief, farm subsidies, anti-poverty and nutrition aid, military spending.
    5. W. Virginia - Farm subsidies, anti-poverty and nutrition aid.
    6. N. Dakota - Farm subsidies, energy subsidies, retirement and anti-poverty programs, Indian reservations.
    7. Alabama - Retirement programs, anti-poverty and nutrition aid, federal space/military spending, farm subsidies.
    8. S. Dakota - Retirement programs, nutrition aid, farm subsidies, military spending, Indian reservations.
    9. Virginia - Civil service pensions, military spending, veterans benefits, retirement, anti-poverty aid.
    10. Kentucky - Retirement programs, nutritional and anti-poverty aid, farm subsidies.

A lot more than just welfare involved.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-11-15 at 02:21 AM.

Well I can't post links but you can look at the dollar per hour break down of top welfare states and see that in most blue states a person on welfare is averging more money per hour than people that are working...keeping them above the poverty line...there are more of those people in blue states and less in red

Cato institute has a nice write up on that exact subject.
    Last edited by Vago; 2012-11-15 at 02:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    If you are getting $550 per month for food though, that is a freaking crime. Anyone who spends that much without a family is wildly irresponsible.
    $550 / 30 a day = $18.33, $18.33 / 3 = $6.11 per meal.

A typical meal in our economy is $10. $550 is not enough for 1 person.

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    Actually, while I lost my job and couldn't find another one for the entirety of Bush's administration, I have had no trouble finding work during the Obama presidency in not just one but two states after moving. I have found easily-affordable housing in an apartment complex in downtown Augusta, GA, something that was impossible when I checked in the last years of Bush's presidency. Obama's presidency has seen equal rights move forward by leaps and bounds even with an unhelpful House run by the extreme right who seek to turn this country into a theocracy, completely ignoring that freedom of religion specifically points out that no legislation shall be made favoring one religion over all others (and yes, trying to turn Christian doctorine into secular law is a betrayal of that Right).

You know what brought the US down so far? GOP filibusters and the Tea Party having explicitly gone into this game intending to stonewall everything Obama wanted to do in the hopes that if the economy was wrecked bad enough, people would blame Obama for it rather than the horrendously-partisan Congress that refuses to compromise across the isle on either side, that was too busy pouring millions into attack ads instead of economic recovery.
    Might be a tiny flaw in your logic but did you try and move somewhere else to find a job during the Bush years or did you just sit and bitch and moan about not being able to find a job? Hard to tell from your post but it leads one to believe you didn't and only after you moved did you find work. Was that Obama or your location that got you a job? just curious.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    $550 / 30 a day = $18.33, $18.33 / 3 = $6.11 per meal.

A typical meal in our economy is $10. $550 is not enough for 1 person.
    How expensive is a box of cornflakes over there, seriously, whoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespers99 View Post
    Might be a tiny flaw in your logic but did you try and move somewhere else to find a job during the Bush years or did you just sit and bitch and moan about not being able to find a job? Hard to tell from your post but it leads one to believe you didn't and only after you moved did you find work. Was that Obama or your location that got you a job? just curious.....
    He specifically stated that he got jobs in 2 states, so that seems to imply he found one before moving, and again after moving.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Hehe... Not exactly...

Top Ten
    1. New Mexico - Indian reservations, military bases, federal research labs, farm subsidies, retirement programs
    2. Mississippi - Farm subsidies, military spending, nutrition and anti-poverty aid, retirement programs.
    3. Alaska - Per capita No 1 recipient of federal benefits; infrastructure projects, DOT and pork projects.
    4. Louisiana - Disaster relief, farm subsidies, anti-poverty and nutrition aid, military spending.
    5. W. Virginia - Farm subsidies, anti-poverty and nutrition aid.
    6. N. Dakota - Farm subsidies, energy subsidies, retirement and anti-poverty programs, Indian reservations.
    7. Alabama - Retirement programs, anti-poverty and nutrition aid, federal space/military spending, farm subsidies.
    8. S. Dakota - Retirement programs, nutrition aid, farm subsidies, military spending, Indian reservations.
    9. Virginia - Civil service pensions, military spending, veterans benefits, retirement, anti-poverty aid.
    10. Kentucky - Retirement programs, nutritional and anti-poverty aid, farm subsidies.

A lot more than just welfare involved.

Why did they include retirement? Thats a paid in service, or was. Social security is taken out of your check, the more you put in the more you get back (1% return, they are bad).

I dont agree with the farm subsidies, its bad enough we change our clocks for them. Paying people 1mil a year to not grow anything is baffling.

Btw, care to relink you numbers in a few weeks after the disaster relief in the blue states is calculated? Kind of a low blow to people in louisiana.

What the heck is nutrition aid? The top 2 stories on that site are ny times, nuff said.

Sorry, certainly wasn't trying to say that all of their spending was welfare I was just trying to make the connection between the states that "leech" off of the federal government.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    I sort of envisioned the underminer when I read the thread title. You know, "I am the underminer, I am beneath you, but nothing is beneath me!", all that jazz.
    I dunno if I'd say it's gonna tank out rock bottom, but yah, times are tough it seems. Shit can't last forever though. Rome fell. Things change. Life changes.
    Who knows until they know?
    downhill yah...down and out, mmm not yet.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.