Steam + Cloud Data

My new laptop will be here soon, and current circumstances will have me switching between that and my desktop frequently (depending where I'm at). I know Steam saves data on the cloud and I'm just curious if that's like options, mouse settings, key bindings, etc, or is it saved progress in games?

I'd like to be able to switch between computers and continue my campaign in Half Life, Skyrim, Just Cause, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    A few things.

Only SOME games save on the cloud. I recently just bought a new computer, and found the migration from one computer to another with about 8 steam games was atrocious. I love steam, I really do. I'm one of those "if it isn't on steam, I probably won't buy it" people. But moving from one computer to another was a ridiculous pain in the arse. The "Back up steam game" literally backs up the GAME, and NOT your save. Steam saves games in about 3-4 different places, and there is no consistency. Pretty much, unless the game specifically saves to cloud (and says it does), your only option as far as I'm aware, is to do what I did for Minecraft (I fix a lot of maps) and working from work and home...

Use Dropbox and NTFSlink to sync specific save folders, so when you save it, it automatically uploads to Dropbox, and other computers will sync to such as well. Again, a pain in the arse, but once set up was pretty seamless

Halflife2 (not halflife 1) and Just Cause 2 (Not just cause 1) both seem to have steam cloud capability. Skyrim does not, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: I'm a retard, and didn't even fully read your post. I don't think the 'cloud save' will save your hotkeys and whatnot. Just the saves. However I've only used steam cloud save for like... two games. And I used default keys for both, soooooo yeah.
    Last edited by chazus; 2012-11-12 at 01:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It highly depends on the games.
    Some games utilize the sync system more than others.
    Half Life will definitely save it.

If you want, follow this.
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7418-YUBN-8129

Also note
    Important:

If you are moving your Steam installation to a new hard drive and want to keep game saves/profiles for third party games that are not saved on Steam Cloud most of these can be found in your Documents folder: ~\Documents\[username]\My Games\. Moving this folder to the same location on your new hard drive will maintain your saves/profiles.
    Not all games are saved in the same place.

The configs 'should' be saved the last time I did it, but don't quote me on that.

Deleted
    Skyrim does save to the cloud. But if I remember correctly, it's just saves, not keybinds or settings. I guess it's similar with other games. But if you only have 2 computers, it doesn't seem a problem. You just need to set things on both.