Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What Heal should Disc Priest be using.

I haven't healed since my MC days but my guild has started raiding and or Disc Priest seems to go oom really fast. I noticed she was using Flash heals and never using Heal. She said that's the right way to do it. So That's Why I'm here to double check facts. Also trust me it was not the priest fault for no boss was downed.

this is the data from tonights failed boss fight

Power Word: Shield 17.2 %
    Divine Aegis 14.8 %
    Prayer of Mending 13.9 %
    Flash Heal 11.7 %
    Penance 8.1 %
    Renew 8.1 %
    Spirit Shell 7.7 %
    Greater Heal 6.4 %
    Glyph of Power Word: Shield 4.7 %
    Prayer of Healing 3.4 %
    Power Word: Shield 2.7 %
    Angelic Bulwark 1.1 %
    Healthstone 0.1 %
    Atonement 0.1 %
    "Warriors make you sap, Paladins let you sap."

thats just all wrong by what I see. prayer of healing is simply amazing and flash heal is no.. prayer of healing, spirit shell should both be higher on the list

Flash Heal hasn't been used primarily since Wrath of the Lich King.

Heres a list of some of the spells and their intended use.

http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pve/priest...-and-cooldowns

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

simply put all classes have 3 kind of basicly spells

a fast but expensive heal aka flash heal
    a slow but powerfull heal aka greater heal
    and a slow but cheap heal

atm only the monk class doesn't have these spells seeing there flash heals turns into there greater heal while channeling there cheap heal.

still flash heal spells are the ow shit spels. cost a ton but better spend some mana then ressing a dead tank or dps.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Meh, it's kind of hard to say without seeing the whole fight. Some shitty tank was telling me the other day that I was casting Divine Light too much in an instance. I told him if he wasn't such a shitty tank I wouldn't need to use it so much. If he wasn't being such a prick throughout the instance, I would have been more polite about it. Ideally, you should never use Flash Heal unless someone (hopefully important like a tank or another healer) is just about to die and only a really quick, fairly powerful heal is going to save their ass. I want to tell you that your priest sucks and that Flash Heal shouldn't make up for 11.7% of her overall healing...but I can't. If it saved a few people from dying then it was probably the right move.

My top 4 healing spells in raid tend to be DA, PoH, SS, PW:S, just stay away from flash heal honestly. I tend to not cast regular heal even and only greater heal but I don't have mana problems at all with that so /shrug

She could have taken From Darkness, Comes Light for the free flash heals. Which is a pretty meh talent in raid encounters if you're going oom, take mindbender instead.

Otherwise she needs to learn to anticipate damage patterns in raid encounters and use pw:s/ss accordingly.

If I didn't see SS on the list, I would say that was from WotLK...

Unless she's a *really* dedicated tank healer -which I don't belive there is a reason to have one yet, SS, DA and PoH should be at the top. There simply isn't enough tank damage to justify FH. Even in WotE, where I used to do more tank healing than the other healers, my SS and GH use was much higher.

She's also missing Cascade (or any other 90-talents) from the list. And Atonement... Even with only using HF on cooldown (or even every once in a while in this case) to stack Evangelism would to more than 0.1%.

Does she have 2p bonus by any chance? That could justify the FH abuse.

No set bonuses yet, we got a late start in raiding and Lfr

Her over heal is only 5%, vs the holy pallys 9% or my prot pally healing of 12%

on average I normally out heal her.

Quote Originally Posted by angelflavor View Post
    No set bonuses yet, we got a late start in raiding and Lfr

Her over heal is only 5%, vs the holy pallys 9% or my prot pally healing of 12%

on average I normally out heal her.
    It was probably her talent, people responding here really don't seem to understand priest talents. Otherwise your group was taking a crap ton of damage due to standing in shiz, or she isn't timing her absorbs correctly and people are getting low and therefore is flash healing to compensate.

You should really link logs.

This is an example from the top priest on 10m Normal Sheng the Accursed (its not me)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/e...?s=1423&e=1748

Im guessing you might be familiar with world of logs. So check this out
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/...an_Vaults/hps/

Just sort through bosses and select disc priest to see the spell used. Disc has the advantage of preforming well when you know the fight and can utilize Spirit Shell to its fullest.

Here are tonights meters. I'm posting them here and if something is wrong, please be nice about it
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/2...ne/?enc=bosses

Here are tonights meters. I'm posting them here and if something is wrong, please be nice about it
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/2...ne/?enc=bosses
    Look at the post above (the one i linked WOL HPS meter) and youll be able to see the spell usage. With 3 healers in normal mode you should really be maxing out on spirit shell/poh for the burst aoe from bosses. and since you are 3 healing you should be able to maximize atonement/DA healing to help out dps in between SS as well as throing out PWS-POM on tanks

Quote Originally Posted by phenix View Post
    Look at the post above (the one i linked WOL HPS meter) and youll be able to see the spell usage. With 3 healers in normal mode you should really be maxing out on spirit shell/poh for the burst aoe from bosses. and since you are 3 healing you should be able to maximize atonement/DA healing to help out dps in between SS as well as throing out PWS-POM on tanks
    We are only 2 healing it. I'm a Tank that does a lot of healing lol

Disc has the advantage of preforming well when you know the fight and can utilize Spirit Shell to its fullest.
    They're wiping on Stone Guard, I don't think she has the damage patterns down yet.

Her healing will go up once she learns the encounter and swaps out those greens and those DPS trinkets. Also reforging everything to haste is bad (I took the time to armory her).

More mastery, better ss/pw:s timing and more poh vs flash heal (penance should be her default emergency heal), and greater encounter knowledge and she'll improve. Also if you're a casual guild w/a slower learning curve I'd three heal that encounter.

we have downed last week with 2 healers http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/mrq0an67u0o8jf35/ but yea we are casual and I think we are going to be sticking to 2 healers.

Flash Heal usage is way too high. I consider this an emergency spell and only use it when it is absolutely necessary to save a life (or for something like Spiritbinder down phase where mana is no concern). Renew usage is considerably high as well, especially when comparing it to Prayer of Healing usage. Prayer of Healing is WAY too low, unless there was 0 raid healing involved or perhaps if your priest is given the primary role of tank healing. Also, your Priest does not make use of any of the T6 talents.

High Priority:
    Prayer of Healing - Your main, go-to AoE healing spell. Also gives Divine Aegis to everyone, which has been buffed majorly in a recent hotfix.
    Greater Heal - Between Greater Heal, Flash Heal, and Heal, Greater Heal should be used the most.
    Penance - Not the strongest heal, but it's cheap, and due to the fact that it is channel, it is a quick way to give your target 3 stacks of Grace. Will not be terribly high on the HPS list.
    Spirit Shell - Using Spirit Shell needs to be planned out. You need to give a good time period to place Spirit Shell on people, not when people are already taking massive damage. Spirit Shell is extremely strong when used and planned out correctly.
    Power Word: Shield - Now will generally be a net gain in mana with the recent hotfix, though not mana friendly when spamming it. Should not be #1 healing spell.
    Prayer of Mending - Use on CD
    Cascade, Divine Star, Halo - All are somewhat situational and position based.

Low Priority / Situational:
    Flash Heal - Emergency Spell
    Heal - Nothing else to do and there won't really be any damage and you're bored of just standing around (in which case, I'd still choose to DPS the boss via Smite and Holy Fire over using Heal)
    Binding Heal - Definitely situational
    Renew - Renew should not be a go to spell as Disc, perhaps might be used to just top somebody off and there's not really any damage / injured players.
    Atonement - Atonement healing shouldn't exactly be a priority healing spell, though it's not bad to use to 1) DPS the boss, 2) build Evangelism stacks to use Archangel. I personally like to Smite and HF a lot and do as much damage as I can, but I do not depend on Atonement healing to keep the tank / raid up.

we have downed last week with 2 healers http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/mrq0an67u0o8jf35/ but yea we are casual and I think we are going to be sticking to 2 healers.
    Not going to go through every attempt in that log but do you really think healing is the issue? Because tbh I am a healer and there is actually very little healing to do in that encounter, her healing is not good but also not god awful terrible, she needs a few tweaks but shouldn't be the reason behind that many wipes.

Our guild has been on hardmodes for the last few weeks and there is little damage unless dps or tanks especially are derping, with the exception of tile runners in hms. The reason why I suggested 3 heals was to cover these derps and the fact that in your logs there is a lot of trap-standing by everyone when I look at damage taken (although this may or may not be a mechanic error depending on if/when you guys decided to pop traps).
    Last edited by Celista; 2012-11-12 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Not going to go through every attempt in that log but do you really think healing is the issue? Because tbh I am a healer and there is actually very little healing to do in that encounter, her healing is not good but also not god awful terrible, she needs a few tweaks but shouldn't be the reason behind that many wipes. Our guild has been on hardmodes for the last few weeks and there is little damage unless dps or tanks especially are derping, with the exception of tile runners in hms.
    As I said on top I know for sure she's not the reason for the fails. I feels she the most likely person of the bunch capable of improving in a short period of time. The flash of light was also a red flag for me, from my limited understanding of healing.

As I said on top I know for sure she's not the reason for the fails. I feels she the most likely person of the bunch capable of improving in a short period of time. The flash of light was also a red flag for me, from my limited understanding of healing.
    Yeah like I said, the priest talent From Darkness, Comes Light gives you a 15% chance to proc a free instant cast flash heal when you cast certain spells, including smite (which she should be casting to build her atonement stacks). So that is not a red flag per se depending on her talents. She is specced into Mindbender now and she should stick with that talent especially considering how much spirit she has in her gear currently.

She will be fine with some tweaking, especially if she considers some of the tweaks I mentioned in an above post. Since atonement is built into the disc spec now she needs *some* haste, but I wouldn't be reforging out of mastery into haste to get that haste based on her current gear.
    Last edited by Celista; 2012-11-12 at 04:44 AM.