Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Blizzard sued over authenticator

Blizzard sued over authenticator

Hopefully this is a wake up call for them. I want to see them sued over bots in BGs too, bots are disallowed according to the EULA yet they do absolutely nothing about them.

I can't sue Parker Brothers because my friends cheat at monopoly. I can't sue Parker Brothers because someone in my building steals my Monopoly money when I'm not looking.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is both original and constructive. (I Lied)

Firstly this thread already exists (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ainst-Blizzard)

Secondly the lawsuit has no grounds and is just a folly, blaming authenticaters for getting hacked is just stupid, it is nearly always the persons fault.

Thirdly they actively campaign against bots, and to claim they do absolutely nothing about them is just ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    Why strive to be excellent, when being just mediocre still kills the boss?

Deleted
    and you can play the game without authenticator so u are not forced.
    and its available for free on mobile or comp as apps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beno113 View Post
    Thirdly they actively campaign against bots, and to claim they do absolutely nothing about them is just ignorance.
    How do you know they do? You believe all the blue posts? The eu battleground forums are continuously full of complaints about bots, we get no official statements from Blizzard at all on the matter. We get crap like "Please use the report cheating feature", which doesn't work.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    How do you know they do? You believe all the blue posts? The eu battleground forums are continuously full of complaints about bots, we get no official statements from Blizzard at all on the matter. We get crap like "Please use the report cheating feature", which doesn't work.
    The "Report Cheating Feature" works perfectly. If enough players report the botter, he automatically gets removed/logged out of the game.

And what do you want them to do? To assign GM for every battleground so they could instantly ban botters?

Bots are problem, I agree. but suing Blizzard for providing authenticator? Seriously, do people sue for building them steel doors into their houses, because they feel that wooden doors don't defend their houses? Do people sue antimalware developers, because they can't fight malware without it?
    and you can play the game without authenticator so u are not forced.
    I'd say even more - you can play without authenticator and not get hacked unless YOU as user start doing wrong things.

10+ Year Old Account
    No.. It's all one big conspiracy. All Hail the New World Order.
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    Why strive to be excellent, when being just mediocre still kills the boss?

15+ Year Old Account
    How do you know they don't? Have you personally witnessed every single bot that is actively running and tracked it for weeks/months to know if Blizzard has taken action against it or not? Bots aren't something Blizzard can squash overnight. You have to take individual action against the person and that means looking at their history and actions over a course of time.

This lawsuit is pure nonsense. Authenticators aren't required. Blizzard probably could do more, but the authenticator is free on phones and they aren't required to do anything at all anyways. I hope the guy filed the lawsuit in a country where you are forced to pay for the lawyer fees of the other party if your suit is thrown out.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...6037?page=4#64

Anyway, they've said the Report Cheating feature helps them narrow down the problem (because they don't ban individually, they ban systemically and they need more data to analyze), but it doesn't mean that player will be banned right that moment or even soon.

As for the Authenticators, they're free to anyone and not just on phones. You can run an Android emulator on the PC, or use a program based on the Android libraries, like the open-source WinBMA. You can become 99% secure just by running this and copy-pasting it into WoW (encrypt the token with a private password other than the one you use for WoW). If you really super care about that last 1%, just run it on a different computer than WoW (i.e. a spare laptop).

I've gotten hacked twice without an authenticator and never with WinBMA (or other Windows-based Authenticators).
    Last edited by Simca; 2012-11-12 at 01:27 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

I want to just say two things.

First of all, Blizzard will win this case so easily it will be stupid. They aren't charging extra for the security. They are charging you for the cost to MAKE the authenticator. (That includes the price of plastic for each piece and man power to make them) Secondly, authenticators on your phones are free, because it doesn't cost anything in materials to make. If they charged on the phone for it, then this could POSSIBLY be a different issue, but it isn't and they don't.

Lastly:
    I want to see them sued over bots in BGs too, bots are disallowed according to the EULA yet they do absolutely nothing about them.
    They do take action against botters. Just because you don't see it in real-time in front of your eye's doesn't mean they aren't taking action. Also, wtf are you talking about? You're asking people to sue blizzard for them violating Blizzard's TOS? lol? I'm just going to act like you meant to say Blizzard should sue botters for damaging the integrity of their game.
    Last edited by Song; 2012-11-12 at 01:24 PM.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demetrion View Post
    And what do you want them to do? To assign GM for every battleground so they could instantly ban botters?
    That is a possibility. There are even people that offer their services to do this for free.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Why...-49195-p2.html

Seems to me that this is just a case of putting the label "Caution: Hot coffee is hot" on a cup of coffee, just another frivolous lawsuit that may or may not work, worked out for the person that sued mcdonalds. Either way, I forsee him paying many legal fees.

They do do the "ban waves" that happen every so often, but they clearly don't do nearly enough, there are people that have been botting for years that still haven't been banned(one account). For the most part the bots in pvp aren't very convincing, you can clearly tell who is a bot and who isn't just by watching them, if there are multiple bots in the game you'll see them all performing the same movement functions that include going to all the bases to combat reporting them AFK.

Also the people who create the programs can adapt quickly to any changes blizzard makes to try and stop it, these things will always exist and will never be stopped, warden is quite useless...trivial spyware with poorly designed automation.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2012-11-12 at 01:31 PM.

So retarded, it says in the article that blizzard should be protecting more instead of the authen. I've been hacked twice both because they somehow got to my email, i am glad i have the option that if something were to go wrong there is another line of defense.

The article also says they "blizzard" uses this to gain money which i face palmed at. A you can get the smart phone app which is 100% free , B you can buy the authen from blizzard which is way way cheaper than getting a new phone.

Since you probably want that last line of defense to be not linked to the pc you play wow on incase of key logging or infecting scripts in the background.

And to you who say blizzard does nothing against botters well there are probably 1m+ bots on wow or players who bot and each cases of bot reporting has to be investigated. That takes time and the guy who runs 50 bots and sells the gold has more often than not made back the money for the account + profit. Currently there is no downside to running mass bots, its a investment and your most likely going to break even, make profit and when you banned just buy more capital.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    There is no way out of this debate, because you obviously and in reflex disbelieve any blue post?
    Not necessarily disbelieve, but I do know that all are they is propaganda, you will never get a reply when you query such a post at least not on the EU forums, what are we supposed to think?

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    Seems to me that this is just a case of putting the label "Caution: Hot coffee is hot" on a cup of coffee, just another frivolous lawsuit that may or may not work, worked out for the person that sued mcdonalds. Either way, I forsee him paying many legal fees.
    You made me remember label on one of microwaves in my country: "Don't put cats and other domestic animals in microwave". I don't even want to think about why it was done. Also people should read BBC less, it is not healthy for brains.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    There is no way out of this debate, because you obviously and in reflex disbelieve any blue post?
    Not true at all, he clearly just doesn't believe ALL of them, if you don't question some things Blizzard says by now... then you're in ignorance, they've been proved wrong countless times after denying things that players claim are happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    You made me remember label on one of microwaves in my country: "Don't put cats and other domestic animals in microwave". I don't even want to think about why it was done. Also people should read BBC less, it is not healthy for brains.
    There really are dumb warning labels of every kind on almost everything now, just to prevent people from claiming something, I'm sure if you googled "dumb warning labels" you'd see enough to last a lifetime.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2012-11-12 at 01:47 PM.

Frivolous lawsuit is frivolous... what a waste of more time and money.

The guy sueing them really needs to think about what hes doing.
    "blizzard make money on the authenticaters", However a recall a bluepost not to long back stating they sell them at a loss (you pay for shipping basically)
    "you are forced to use one on battlenet" again is a load of crap. Yes some guilds will force their use, but thats not blizard
    Seems like a desperate grasp at money really, i hope blizzard steamroll him

This lawsuit will fail. No one is forced to buy an authenticator and if you have a smart phone (which most people do now) you can get it for free.

Blizzard does a lot to address bots. So I don't know what you are talking about.