Help me pick my new TV...

Im rebuilding my home and im making a "cinema" corner, in that corner i need a new tv 64"+

the reason i choose 64"+ is becouse atm im looking at the:

Samsung 64" plasma
    Panasonic 65" TX-P65st50
    Sharp aquos 70" LC-70LE741s

So, what im looking for is ppl that have a good idea about Tvs and what they have to say about this different tvs, also any other tv that are in the same pricerange that u think i should consider?

any input is welcome, I´m at work now and i will check in in a few hours to se what u guys have to say about it.

Best regards.
    Henrik

I would shy away from any plasma they are pretty much outdated technology at this point. Samsung would be my first brand choice any LCD or LED by them would be my choice.

Have multiple Samsung LED's. 65" in the main room and 42" in my room, both are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Raidbozz View Post
    I would shy away from any plasma they are pretty much outdated technology at this point. Samsung would be my first brand choice any LCD or LED by them would be my choice.
    Panasonic Plasmas have by far the best black levels in any TV. The downside to this is the issue of bright light viewing.

I would shy away from any TV, they are pretty much outdated technology at this point.
    Fixed that for you.

How is plasma outdated? Plasma offers still the best image quality with highest contrast and full color spectrum. The normal LCD TVs with CFL or LED backlight haven't changed much. With LED backlight the contrast and color spectrum got better but didn't reach the level of plasma TVs.

A plasma TV has plasma cells that emit light by themselves with different wavelengths so that you can produce every color possible and you can turn every cell off so that this cell is completely black. Normal LCD displays have a backlight (CFL or LCD that don't have all possible wavelengths) that is refracted by the crystals to the desired wavelength and when you want to have something black you try to block the light with the crystal which doesn't work as good as turning off a plasma cell.

So in the end it comes down into what you want. You want best possible picture quality you have to take a plasma because there isn't something better but plasma TVs use a lot of power (every cell uses power instead of just some CFL lights or LEDs) and the older the cells get the less light they can produce and this process is very fast at start and nearly zero later on. So it could be that some parts of pictures "burn" into the screen until all cells are worn out equally (even in this state they produce a better picture than LCD TVs).

LCDs have a good picture quality but especially in dark movies (like horror movies) a lot of detail isn't there because the contrast isn't high enough. In addition they are cheaper, use less power and aren't as heavy as plasma TVs. Further more you don't have the problem that parts of the pictures will "burn" in.

If you want to buy a plasma buy Panasonic (#1 in the world) or Samsung (#2) and when you want to buy a LCD buy a Samsung or any other premium brand (like Sharp because they use the same displays produced by Samsung).

TY Lordjust, that was great reading, pritty much what i have gathered myself, the thing is, i was quite set on the 65" panasonic or 64 samsung, but then my GF fell in love with the 70" Sharp...

decisions decisions

Deleted
    is there a particular reason for going for a TV over a projector ?
    The amount of money your looking at spending for a large screen maybe better invested in a HD Projector, You get a much larger screen size and they can be very discreet.

I have considered a projector aswell, but for some reason my gf really dislikes it.. i might take here to a store and show here how it works, but its the whole, watching normal tv on a projector thingy seems wrong

Deleted
    well you don't need to watch TV on a projector, in fact its not recommended due to the cost of the bulbs, But for a Home cinima system a really good quality projector and sound system will be a thousand times better than a TV for movies.

10+ Year Old Account

Buying a New TV Need Help

Hey all!

I would like to buy a new TV on black friday or cyber monday. My budget is $300 or less, this TV is replacing a 27" Samsung CRT. I would like to upgrade to a 32" or larger LCD 1080 120HZ TV.

The reason i'm buying such a mediocre TV is because i really wanna get rid of the TV i currently have, but i don't have the money to buy the TV i REALLY want. This replacement will be replacing my bedroom TV, then hopefully by summer i can afford to buy a really nice TV and put the lesser one in the living room. (i live with roommates, no way in hell are they getting the 50" as the community TV, that shits for gaming in my room.)

I've been researching deals for the past week, and have found that it is difficult to find a good brand selling such a TV for so cheap. Although i have found plenty of less popular brands fitting the technical and financial requirements.

So my question for you all is, is it worth it to buy something like a Coby or Sanyo or something of the sort in my situation? Or should i reconsider the technical specs and buy a better brand?

Deleted
    What is your budget, if I may ask?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palatje View Post
    What is your budget, if I may ask?
    Under $300. I know that makes it pretty difficult. That's why i'm looking towards Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Walmart has a 37 inch 1080p Vizio right now for $350. all the others I saw that were smaller were 720p, so maybe theyll have something on black friday.

I myself have a 42inch 3d vizio and I'm quite happy with it, but thats a little out of your budget lol. Just have had good experience with Vizio so I would recommend it. http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-42-C...420VX/15992330 is what I have and its now $528 lol

edit: didnt see you wanted 120 refresh rate...think that usually bumps the price up quite a bit, and after looking everything 120mhz is 40 inch and up.
    Last edited by lokithor; 2012-11-12 at 03:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    With black Friday only a week away you should definitely wait for it. But you better wait there for a long ass time before they open, I tried to get a TV last black Friday and they were all gone in minutes of the doors opening.
    Wal-mart black Friday add.
    It's only 60HZ but there is a 40'' at the bottom for $198.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    With black Friday only a week away you should definitely wait for it. But you better wait there for a long ass time before they open, I tried to get a TV last black Friday and they were all gone in minutes of the doors opening.
    Honestly I wouldn't buy a lower brand name when it comes to electronics. They seem to go out quicker than nice ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    Walmart has a 37 inch 1080p Vizio right now for $350. all the others I saw that were smaller were 720p, so maybe theyll have something on black friday.

I myself have a 42inch 3d vizio and I'm quite happy with it, but thats a little out of your budget lol. Just have had good experience with Vizio so I would recommend it. http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-42-C...420VX/15992330 is what I have and its now $528 lol

edit: didnt see you wanted 120 refresh rate...think that usually bumps the price up quite a bit, and after looking everything 120mhz is 40 inch and up.
    that's the issue i'm running into at the moment, anything with a 120 refresh rate gets a bit more expensive. This is why i have been considering getting a lesser brand. I might be able to pick up a 30" + 1080 120HZ LCD for under $300 if i go with something that is not a top brand. I'm a bit reluctant to buy a 60HZ since it ends up looking grainy when playing fast paced games. I play a lot of Froza 4, and i want to see the details that my 480 CRT can display lol.

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 03:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    That's a damn good price for 40" Emerson isn't the worst, I will consider this TV. Thank you!

Any other suggestions would still be appreciated.

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 04:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    Honestly I wouldn't buy a lower brand name when it comes to electronics. They seem to go out quicker than nice ones.
    I agree with this. And if i was to spend good money on a no joke TV, then i would go with Samsung or Philips. But right now it is a temporary Upgrade, then will be re-purposed as the community TV at the apartment. I just really can not stand my CRT anymore, it's very difficult to read White lettering on it. It's so pixalated and grainy.

Next summer i plan on spending a bit more on a nice TV, hopefully it will be a 1080p 40" or higher LED 240hz.

It's totally anecdotal, but I purchased one of the E3D series Vizio 3D panels from Walmart for around $500 like 6 months ago, it's got great picture (the sound sucks, but buy a home theater all TVs suck in comparison.)

Unless you're looking for some sort of bleeding edge tech, Vizio is decent for the price. It's got smart TV features, 120hz refresh rate, USB ports to play movies from a thumb drive (everything except .m4v's I've gotten to work) and built in Wi-fi.