Page 1 of 33
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New Dungeon, Fractals of the Mists

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...te.html/page/1

The ‘Fractals of the Mist’ dungeon is a result of all the lessons ArenaNet has learned from developing the game’s initial dungeon offerings as well as the feedback they’ve received from players on dungeon content since launch. Players will enter the Fractals of the Mist dungeon via a central hub that will feature an assortment of amenities such as repair NPCs and other merchants. Once players have gathered their party members, they will be launched into one of the nine ‘fractals’ that will be randomly selected for each group.

Each fractal’s experience will be similar to that of the various mini-dungeons littered throughout the open world of Guild Wars 2. These fractals will feature a variety of challenges, puzzles, and boss fights, with an emphasis placed on use of the environment. Players can expect each fractal to take anywhere from 15 to 40 minutes to complete and the game will throw you through a series of three fractals, from one to the next, before returning you to town. Every other set of three fractals that players complete will initiate a special boss fight along the lines of Tequatl the Sunless or The Shatterer.

Once players return to town, future entries into the dungeon will scale to become harder than the last. The amount of enemies players will face will increase as will their health and damage, for example. Of course, you can also expect commensurate rewards for completing harder versions of the dungeon.

Speaking of rewards, the Fractals of the Mist Dungeon will introduce the new ‘Ascended' item type. This type is a bit more powerful than the Exotic quality items currently found in the game. There will only be a couple of Ascended quality items available initially, but some of the rarer Ascended items will also feature a new Infusion slot that will make players even more powerful so that they can tackle new challenges that ArenaNet plans to throw at them as they continue to expand on the dungeon over the coming months and years.
    Valar morghulis

I'm leery of the "ascended" armor. It smacks of a gear treadmill type system. But I'll wait and see what it actually is before I jump to conclusions.

Who knows, maybe it will server a similar function as infused armor did in GW1 to fight the Mursaat.

I wonder what PvE content they expect players do besides dungeons in level 80. Run around completing low level events for the heck of it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...te.html/page/1

The ‘Fractals of the Mist’ dungeon is a result of all the lessons ArenaNet has learned from developing the game’s initial dungeon offerings as well as the feedback they’ve received from players on dungeon content since launch. Players will enter the Fractals of the Mist dungeon via a central hub that will feature an assortment of amenities such as repair NPCs and other merchants. Once players have gathered their party members, they will be launched into one of the nine ‘fractals’ that will be randomly selected for each group.

Each fractal’s experience will be similar to that of the various mini-dungeons littered throughout the open world of Guild Wars 2. These fractals will feature a variety of challenges, puzzles, and boss fights, with an emphasis placed on use of the environment. Players can expect each fractal to take anywhere from 15 to 40 minutes to complete and the game will throw you through a series of three fractals, from one to the next, before returning you to town. Every other set of three fractals that players complete will initiate a special boss fight along the lines of Tequatl the Sunless or The Shatterer.

Once players return to town, future entries into the dungeon will scale to become harder than the last. The amount of enemies players will face will increase as will their health and damage, for example. Of course, you can also expect commensurate rewards for completing harder versions of the dungeon.

Speaking of rewards, the Fractals of the Mist Dungeon will introduce the new ‘Ascended' item type. This type is a bit more powerful than the Exotic quality items currently found in the game. There will only be a couple of Ascended quality items available initially, but some of the rarer Ascended items will also feature a new Infusion slot that will make players even more powerful so that they can tackle new challenges that ArenaNet plans to throw at them as they continue to expand on the dungeon over the coming months and years.
    Ahahahaha. Guess gear treadmills really are kind of important. Character progression is necessary, Anet realized that I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    Ahahahaha. Guess gear treadmills really are kind of important. Character progression is necessary, Anet realized that I suppose.
    They will alienate a big part of their playerbase if they do this.

Deleted
    am i the only one who actualy like the gear treadmill in pve? (gear treadmill should stay away from pvp!)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I wonder what PvE content they expect players do besides dungeons in level 80. Run around completing low level events for the heck of it?
    Why not?

As Doozerjun said, will have to wait a bit more to see about this Ascended armour, but I fear Anet is getting really close to losing some of my respect there. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Just like the dungeon changes, they will get useto it. And in the process, get an even bigger playerbase to come to the game. They said they wanted their MMO to be the best, how can they do that if most players get bored a few weeks after hitting 80 because they finished all the "endgame"? There needs to be some kind of long term goals that don't feel grindy. Dungeons, although I admit a cheap and old tactic, is the best way to do it. It works.

I'm pretty happy about it. They should really stay away from creating a gear treadmill in PvP though, THAT would be a cause for alarm.

Well I for one won't be playing if they turn this game into some sort of gear treadmill. But as I said before, I'll wait and see what this is all about first before making judgements on a quote.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a bit worried about the Ascended variety armour. Can’t wait for the dungeon though.

Well they call it an "infusion slot" which was used in Guild Wars 1. They also follow it up by saying the infusion slot will be useful in later additions of the dungeon.

The infusion slot could be somewhat similar to a gating method for this dungeon. Aion, Rappelz [iirc] and Cabal all had such a system in spiral dungeons. It could be that infused slot just the same as GW1 in that it reduces the damaging effects of spectral agony [or a similar mechanic] or some other debuff in the new dungeon such as the Kunaxi in The Deep.

I am not sure how any of this will work. But it is disheartening if the infusion slot becomes progressive gear upgrading. Quite hypocritical of Anet.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-12 at 03:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys, playing a game just for the lulz is nice, but not motivational in a long term. I realized that a missing gear treadmill is cool, but it brings some problems on the table. Why i should farm a legendary when i didn't like the look? It has no advantages for me to have one. Gearstyle is very subjective and if "things to do" are forced to be a personal taste in terms of appearance, then it could be an early game over.
    Last edited by Vintersol; 2012-11-12 at 03:53 PM.

We do need more character progression, doesn't have to be in the form of the gear treadmill. The legendary serves as a long term goal, but we lack for short term goals, those small boosts that keeps you going the whole way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I am not sure how any this will work. But it is disheartening if the infusion slot becomes progressive gear upgrading. Quite hypocritical of Anet.
    Especially when paired with "Ascended armor will be slightly better than Exotics" after how long of preaching "There is no gear treadmill". Granted, putting the "best" gear in dungeons would give people a reason to do them, rather than bitch after they grinded karma or bought off the Trading Post that "amg nothing to do". But they made that design decision forever ago, and are now rescinding on it?

Is this sense of progression the attempt to hold onto people that the Guild Wars franchise just wasn't meant for?
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-12 at 04:23 PM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Or not. You dont play the game to "get stronger gear". There is no PvE race. There is no competitive PvE. The only treadmill you put yourself on is a cosmetic or legendary one. You pick what you want your character to look like and you work towards your goal. But no matter what your character looks like all content is viable. In a gear treadmill game higher end content is restricted to those who have high skill or those with mediocre skill and decent gear. Gear is what lets you complete high end content in gear treadmill games. Gear at level 80 doesnt make or break your experience in GW2. All content can be completed provided you have a strategy that works or a good group of individuals that can play their classes well.

No ones going to leave because of this, and if they do they are stupid. Also they said gear infusion was in guild wars 1. Now i never played GW1 but if its the same system then clearly theres nothing wrong with it.

I personally like the sound of it but then again, I like my character to feel more powerful as a result of time spent. Looking awesome is cool and all, but not nearly as cool as becoming more powerful however slight of an increase it may be.

I don't understand why someone wouldn't want to have a chance to upgrade their gear. You can always keep your perfected look.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a feeling Ascended armor will be required to get further and further in the new dungeon but the stat and infusion bonuses will not even kick in outside the dungeon, this would allow people who want gear progression to have it, an those who want no progression to not need to touch the dungeon to stay competitive.

If this is the case, I'm totally ok with it an would be ecstatic about it actually because its allow me to progress in power while not trivializing other content, it'd also mean if I decide that dungeon is lame (highly doubt it) that I don't even need to touch it!!

If its an actual universal gear treadmill I'm going to be pissed... And my roommates may get the brunt of it like what happened with that fucking clock tower!!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    O

No ones going to leave because of this, and if they do they are stupid. Also they said gear infusion was in guild wars 1. Now i never played GW1 but if its the same system then clearly theres nothing wrong with it.
    Gear infusion in GW1 didn't modify or improve your stats. All it did was protect you versus a certain ability against an enemy type. Without being infused you could be one or two shot versus that enemy.

If that is all this is in GW2 with the ascended armor, a form of gating I suppose, then fine. I'm ok with that. But if this the start of improved stats on armor being introduced with patches, like a tier system, well then that is a gear treadmill. They specifically stated they wouldn't be doing that. If they do then like Fencers said, they are being hypocrites.

Deleted
    Hm, so if I understand this correctly it could be some kind of vertical progression, but tied to the specific dungeon? Could be good. You had a gear treadmill in a smaller scale and in the same time the satisfied feeling to having something accomplished (ie beaten the harder bosses)

10+ Year Old Account
    Gear infusion in GW1 didn't modify or improve your stats. All it did was protect you versus a certain ability against an enemy type. Without being infused you could be one or two shot versus that enemy.

If that is all this is in GW2 with the ascended armor, a form of gating I suppose, then fine. I'm ok with that. But if this the start of improved stats on armor being introduced with patches, like a tier system, well then that is a gear treadmill. They specifically stated they wouldn't be doing that. If they do then like Fencers said, they are being hypocrites.

If it's something along the lines of Potion of _____ Slaying, to be used specifically for this dungeon then I don't have an issue with it.

I'm much more excited for the special boss fight along the lines of Tequatl the Sunless or Shatterer. That sounds pretty dam epic!
    Valar morghulis